Forums > General Industry > Sharpening - NOT everyone's doing it

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I'd say that most over-sharpening is done by the newbies' cameras.  If I didn't know better, and I saw that I could set my camera to make jpgs with sharpness on a scale from -2 to +2, I'd probably pick +2.  Bigger is better, right?

Jul 16 05 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Posted by Brian Diaz: 
I'd say that most over-sharpening is done by the newbies' cameras.  If I didn't know better, and I saw that I could set my camera to make jpgs with sharpness on a scale from -2 to +2, I'd probably pick +2.  Bigger is better, right?

It depends on the image, read that article. What is the right amount of sharpeneing for one image may be too much for another which is why its better to sharpen afterwards insted of using an in camera setting.

Jul 16 05 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by MichaelBell: 
It depends on the image, read that article. What is the right amount of sharpeneing for one image may be too much for another which is why its better to sharpen afterwards insted of using an in camera setting.

Hmm... the man with the fantastic melons in his avatar may be right.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pics/20050716/3/42d9a8ab8629e_t.jpg

Jul 17 05 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by MichaelBell: 

Posted by Brian Diaz: 

Sorry, I forgot the Texas accent tag on "Bigger is better."  That was my point.  Experienced photographers are careful about their sharpening, while GsWCs leave it to their Cs.

Jul 17 05 01:25 am Link