Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Vivid hair colour?

Model

E the model

London, Ontario, Canada

Do you usually prefer subdued or natural colour and think a very bright red or blonde limits what you can do? Or do you think it gives you different possibilities? I understand it depends on the model, but as a rule of thumb... what do you think about it? Personnally, I think bright colours (natural looking or not) can look very striking on some people, though it can be hard to pull it off (and it's unforgiving!) and well, it's very striking. That's the point. Everybody remembers it, that's for sure: there's no way to go unnoticed (it's quite a fashion statement, isn't it?). I just wanted some stylist and make-up artists' opinions!

As you can see, I'm a culprit of very bright hair myself: my hair is dyed bright red. and has a LOT of volume (even flat-ironed and extremely layered! there's nothing I can do). It's actually a bit lighter than on the pictures. Very carrot-head look. I like it, but I must pay special attention to what I'm wearing less I look like a christmas tree. By the by, do you have any idea what other colours my hair would look nice? It's naturally dark brown (and curly, I hate it!).

Apr 18 06 01:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

Anha Nguyen

Orange, California, US

i love the bright haired look, but it also depend on the look your going for.

Apr 18 06 04:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Los Angeles, California, US

I think your hair looks great! Perfect with your skintone, you would probobly look nice platinum too. And it's very high fashion- not too punk or gothy.

Apr 18 06 05:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

Belinda Muir

London, England, United Kingdom

Bright hair is just fabulous!  Just look at Karen Elson now and Linda Evangelista in the 80s who always had something different. And of course Rita Hayworth :-)

I think bright hair should be well maintained and well cut.  Maybe try out some different looks with your hair as well - I know you hate your curls but they really are back in again and it means you can do loads of things with it.  Maybe you could organise a test experimenting with different hair and makeup (with a good HMUA of course!) to show that you can be versatile and that brightly coloured hair doesn't necessarily put you in a "bright hair" box.  You can do anything from classic to very modern / avant garde or kitschy (like LaChapelle for example has some great bright red head stuff).

Good luck! x

Apr 18 06 07:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

Bright hair is hot! Leave it be, and try some different styling techniques and hair accsessories. Your smokin..really. wink

Apr 18 06 10:10 am Link

Model

Tigerbunny

Chicago, Illinois, US

I like yours. I personally prefer the unnatural colors, although I have done natural reds before which I enjoyed.

Apr 19 06 09:23 pm Link

Model

E the model

London, Ontario, Canada

Jessica Steele wrote:
I think your hair looks great! Perfect with your skintone, you would probobly look nice platinum too. And it's very high fashion- not too punk or gothy.

Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to be blonde (but isn't that what most little girl want?). However, my hair is naturally dark brown. Not black, but quite dark. Is blonde still an option? And platinum blonde? My hairdresser says my hair lighten well (no bleach was used for the orange colour I'm sporting). I did ask her for platinum strikes a while back (it seemed like an interesting idea), she said it would be great, but not in summer as I have to wear my hair curly. However, can I consider have my whole head bleached platinum? Would my hair survive the bleach? Would it look good with my dark brows or would I have to dye them too?

Apr 19 06 10:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Michael David Gallego

Pasadena, California, US

eloise,if your a hair model the skys the limit.but for fasion and beauty the hair should be natural . i use wigs and pieces for effects.check out W magazine my fav...MDG

Apr 20 06 05:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup By Diana Marie

North Valley Stream, New York, US

Eloise,

I'm a colorist myself and the second I looked at you I had 2 colors in mind... A very vibrant rich red with maybe some lowlights or a medium brown with a full head of multi-tonal highlights and lowlights... you can pull either of them off... you have porclein skin so you can pull off a wide variety of colors.. The orange as much as people love it i'm not diggin... normally that is an oxidation color although you are rockin it... I'd make it a shade or two lighter or darker,but its up to you... Come to NY and we'll experiment!! haha... Bleaching your hair to platinum ESPECIALLY if your hair is curly is not a good idea... you'll have serious breakage because curly hair tends to be porous and coarse if it is dark & curly... my hair was dark & curly and just going light blonde was tough... if you have anymore questions just contact me and we'll speak more! Ciao!

~Diana

May 21 06 07:22 pm Link