Forums > General Industry > Is it appropriate to......

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

A lot of photographers give me print size images on cd so that I can print them wherever I want so everything in my book looks the same. When they do so, they remove the watermark so that I don't have trouble getting them printed. Would it be appropriate to attach a clear label with the photographer's name to the front or back of the photo?

Apr 17 06 01:57 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

And if not what should I do?

Apr 17 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Different photographers will tell you different things. 

I know some who will put a stamp on the back.  Others will put their name and copyright discreetly at the bottom of the print.  Others will put nothing at all.  I'm not even sure which is the standard practice but I've seen each done.

I've also seen huge, ridiculous watermarks across the middle of prints, which I think is a bit inappropriate...

:::edit:::

To answer your question, if these are prints for your book, it would be totally appropriate for you to put it at the bottom in a manner that isn't distracting.  Has the proper method already been discussed between you?  Does he have a requirement on the way to do it?  If so, I'd suggest doing it that way.  Have you attempted to contact him about it to find out?

Apr 17 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
Would it be appropriate to attach a clear label with the photographer's name to the front or back of the photo?

There are only two reasons for giving a credit to a photographer in your book.  (1) because the photographer is so prestigious that anyone looking at his name will be impressed that he shot with you (nobody on MM falls into that category), or (2) by contract you are obligated to do it (which generally isn't true).

A model's portfolio usually does not contain photo credits, and to do so in any but the first case above looks cheesy.

Apr 17 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Unless you are contractually bound to do otherwise, if you MUST, do it on the back. your portfolio is about YOU, not who took the shots. As a courtesy to the photographer, should someone looking at your book ask, you should readily recall who took each shot and if they are really interested, provide them with the photographers contact info (in a followup email or something, not while you are showing your book!)

I know of NO serious photographers who regularly do testing for model portfolios who do not understand this and agree.

Apr 17 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

In any event, ask the photographer to give you a release to make print copies for your promotional use. That way you shouldn't have any problems at the photo lab.

Apr 17 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
A lot of photographers give me print size images on cd so that I can print them wherever I want...

There's a lot to be said about photographers that approach this biz with a "I shoot, you finish" mentality.  It also speaks volumes about a model's book that gives the same appearance page after page...

Apr 17 06 04:20 pm Link