Forums > General Industry > Funny variations on TFP and TFCD

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Let's hear some.

I just shot some fashion images at a retro clothing store, and was given a tie-dyed T-shirt for my efforts, thus TFTD or "Trade for Tie-dye".

Apr 16 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

It's actually really common to do a fashion shoot in exchange for some of the clothing you modeled... but I had somebody I know mention "and after the shoot I got to keep the butt plug!"

Things I didn't need to know....

Apr 17 06 10:44 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I trade for good wine as stated in my profile. smile  (TFGW)

Apr 17 06 10:49 pm Link

Model

msindpnt1

New York, New York, US

I did a fashion show and was givin a 20% off coupon for the company I modeled for.  And I used it.  So...Trade For Coupon???

Apr 17 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

One lady tried to give me her poodle. TFP.

Apr 17 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

yesterday i was reading one of this forums and i readed.. TFBJ.. if you got it..GREAT.. if you didn't.. keep thinking

Apr 17 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

I once did a job for a federal agent in exchange for information about an ex girlfriend... so that would a TFCIAFBIIQFYI911

Apr 17 06 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Unique Nudes

Riverside, California, US

When shooting my last Classic Camera™ series we used an antique peel-apart Polaroid.  The resulting "trash" from the medium format transfer was a weird opaque negative of the final image.  I was going to toss them but all three models protested and kept theirs.  Since the CC™ shoots aren't normally paid, they all went home with TFT (Time for Trash) or TFAN (Time for Archaic Negatives.)

-- Richard Rasner
Nakayama Studios

Apr 19 06 01:59 am Link

Model

The Elfling

Austin, Indiana, US

In college I used to model for friends in exchange for free meals.

We weren't called starving artists for nothing...

Apr 19 06 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Today I did a TFT (time for tickets) for a theatre company.

Apr 19 06 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
I trade for good wine as stated in my profile. smile  (TFGW)

if you get bad wine, do you start a thread bitching about the photog for giving you bad wine? wink

Apr 19 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Josh Separzadeh

Venice, California, US

I let my "censored" model keep the chains and rope...

Apr 19 06 11:50 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

if you get bad wine, do you start a thread bitching about the photog for giving you bad wine? wink

It's not in my nature to bitch.  It's the thought that counts anyway. - "Good" is a relative term. smile

Apr 20 06 12:01 am Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've done TFB- trade for boots before... and they're such wonderful boots :-)

Apr 20 06 01:22 pm Link

Model

That name is taken

BALLOUVILLE, Connecticut, US

As it shows in the question I'm about to ask, I'm a newbie!

-What is TFTD?

Apr 20 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

its all about Taking Fantastic Pictures! who cares who pays?  smile

Apr 20 06 01:27 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Bethany Chisolm wrote:
As it shows in the question I'm about to ask, I'm a newbie!

-What is TFTD?

"Trade For Ten Dwarfs" It's common practice for photogs to offer up strange  commodities like dwarfs, goats, and cattle to models that they want to shoot with if they don't have cash. smile

I think you mean TFCD "trade for CD" (of digital pics from the shoot that you can use in your portfolio) - Same as TFP "Trade for Prints/Photos"

Apr 20 06 01:35 pm Link

Model

That name is taken

BALLOUVILLE, Connecticut, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

"Trade For Ten Dwarfs" It's common practice for photogs to offer up strange  commodities like dwarfs, goats, and cattle to models that they want to shoot with if they don't have cash. smile

I think you mean TFCD "trade for CD" (of digital pics from the shoot that you can use in your portfolio) - Same as TFP "Trade for Prints/Photos"

LOL thanks for the correction! I think I could trade a few dwarfs for a good photog!!

Do photographers often do that whole TFCD thing? It seems like it would be rather expensive for them?

Apr 20 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Douglas Rosen

Orlando, Florida, US

Bethany Elyse wrote:
Do photographers often do that whole TFCD thing? It seems like it would be rather expensive for them?

Bethany,

no, it doesn't cost a photographer anything except their time, as long as they shoot digital and not film.

We have a large initial investment in equipment which can be from a couple hundred dollars to tens of thousands (a medium format digital can cost $30,000 but I dont know of many photographers shooting with those that shoot tfp/cd). But the bottom line is that without film costs, a photographer can shoot as often as he wants and not spend any money. Just their time.

Douglas

Apr 20 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

Douglas Rosen wrote:

Bethany,

no, it doesn't cost a photographer anything except their time, as long as they shoot digital and not film.

We have a large initial investment in equipment which can be from a couple hundred dollars to tens of thousands (a medium format digital can cost $30,000 but I dont know of many photographers shooting with those that shoot tfp/cd). But the bottom line is that without film costs, a photographer can shoot as often as he wants and not spend any money. Just their time.

Douglas

Not if they're trying to maintain a studio smile  Shooting outdoors, however, is free.

Apr 20 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Douglas Rosen

Orlando, Florida, US

Jeanette Thompson wrote:
Not if they're trying to maintain a studio smile  Shooting outdoors, however, is free.

well, I still disagree. If they have that studio they have already agreed to pay that fixed expense each month. I am not saying that a photographer has no expenses, but it does not cost to shoot with a model (tfp/cd) unless the photographer is paying a mua or location or something.

So, with your comment about a studio, if they need to rent a studio for that day to shoot, it does cost, but if they already have the studio rented then they are already paying for that location if they use it or not. That to me would be the same thing if I hadnt fully paid for my camera and lenses and was doing it in installments. I have to make that payment each month, so if my camera is in the bag or being used my cost is the same.

on a free time exchange shoot, I believe that the make up artist is the only one who must incur a cost. the model does not lose anything but her time and the photographer has already purchased everything and it does not use up anything different to shoot 1 or 1000 photos, however, the make up artist uses up something that they must pay to replace and that does diminish with each use.

Apr 20 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher b Smyth

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Jay Dezelic wrote:

Snowhite had sex with the seven dwarfs? goats and cattle, Aussies I guess would offer sheep. I love a good laugh before bed.

Apr 30 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

The Elfling wrote:
In college I used to model for friends in exchange for free meals.

We weren't called starving artists for nothing...

So that was TFBLT?

May 01 06 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Well, I maintain a studio and I still do lots of trade work, but I'm an idiot.

I've done TFBS before (trade for babysitting).

I once also did TFHS (trade for hot sex), but that's because my wife is a model, so yeah, that's cheating.

May 01 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Douglas Rosen wrote:
Bethany,

Can't quite agree with you there.

Eventually, these TFCDs will start to eat up either your hard drive space, or you'll begin to spend your money buying CDs and other hardware to store them on. If I were shooting film primarily, I could care less about the computer I have, and would most likely shoot LESS TFCDs or TFPs.

I DO see your point, though.

May 01 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mikell

San Francisco, California, US

San Francisco Nudes wrote:
It's actually really common to do a fashion shoot in exchange for some of the clothing you modeled... but I had somebody I know mention "and after the shoot I got to keep the butt plug!"

Things I didn't need to know....

who in their right mind would want it back?

May 01 06 08:51 pm Link