Forums > General Industry > First impressions count

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

When me (and many other photographers) read "no experience" and "paid assignments only" next to each other in a model's portfolio, it is an automatic turnoff despite the quality of the portfolio. If a photographer does this, it is just as bad in the eyes of models.

The first few seconds count, whether reading a resume or a MM portfolio. Certain words and phrases are turn-offs regardless of the overall picture.

This is a lot like saying on a resume "I want to be CEO in 3-5 years without paying my dues".

Often the portfolio and quality of images suggests that the model actually does have experience and is worthy of being paid. Perhaps they should consider changing "no experience" to "experienced" and all would be well.

Stating "no experience" with "paid assignments only" makes an immediate bad impression to many people, regardless of anything else.

Apr 16 06 06:12 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Thank you, and now a word from captain obvious.

Apr 16 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Nemi wrote:
Thank you, and now a word from captain obvious.

Whatever happened to that cute loveable Katie that I remember.

Apr 16 06 10:09 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

It's obvious, sure... but man, with the lack of common sense I've seen around, it probably doesn't hurt to provide a simple reminder every once in a while. smile

Heh.

I'm glad people read the first few sentences of my bio... wink  Means my inbox gets less cluttered by a few hundred fewer things that SHOULD be going to the CAM every week.

Apr 17 06 07:51 pm Link