Forums > General Industry > Need big agency for commercial career??

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am about to get signed with exclusive management (to a small agency) and I want to know if I really need a big agency to do commercia/print work. I'm looking for print assignments to do some urban work (clothing lines like academiks, enyce, etc) and some catalog work (jcpenney, sears,nordstrom), maybe some parts modeling too. Is my agent enough or do I need to go a different route??

Apr 13 06 09:52 pm Link

Model

K-A

Healdsburg, California, US

dee740 wrote:
I am about to get signed with exclusive management and I want to know if I really need a big agency to do commercia/print work. I'm looking for print assignments to do some urban work (clothing lines like academiks, enyce, etc) and some catalog work (jcpenney, sears,nordstrom), maybe some parts modeling too. Is my agent enough or do I need to go a different route??

What is the name of agency you are signing with?

Apr 13 06 10:20 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

it is an individual. she's not a big agency.  she has about 20 adult models. She represents two photographers, and a few MUA's. ( i obviously prefer not to state the name of the agency)

Apr 13 06 10:22 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

bump

Apr 13 06 10:29 pm Link

Model

K-A

Not sure why it's obvious why you don't want to mention the name of the agency, but whatever. I think you probably need to ask your agent the same question you're asking here.  Before signing I think it's essential to know how the agency  will help build your career.

Apr 13 06 10:30 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have expressed my concerns and she says she could help me (of course), but I'm new to the industry and I don't want the wool pulled over my eyes about this.

Apr 13 06 10:34 pm Link

Model

K-A

I would be very careful...sounds shady.

Apr 13 06 10:52 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

dee740 wrote:
I am about to get signed with exclusive management and I want to know if I really need a big agency to do commercia/print work. I'm looking for print assignments to do some urban work (clothing lines like academiks, enyce, etc) and some catalog work (jcpenney, sears,nordstrom), maybe some parts modeling too. Is my agent enough or do I need to go a different route??

Bigger companies with national campaigns go through agencies. So, I would think if you want to get gigs with the aforementioned companies, you would need a good agency.

Apr 13 06 11:06 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

can you have more than one commercial agent at once?

Apr 14 06 12:45 am Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

dee740 wrote:
can you have more than one commercial agent at once?

A.  If you want sound advice from the MM crowd, you should probably tell us the name of the agency/agent.  There's no reason why you wouldn't want to list their name, because if they are legitimate than it will not matter.  If they are a scam, then you have spread awareness.  So either way you go there is no harm in disclosing the name.  And B.  If you sign exclusive, contractually you cannot work with any other agents/agencies, whether commercial or not.  So be very picky about who you sign exclusive with.  It takes some models a few years before they find the right agency.

Apr 14 06 12:51 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

your "agency" sounds shady to me.  BIG companies will go through BIG agencies.

if you do not tell us the agency in which you are signing with then we have no more information on what to tell you other than what i have just said.

Apr 14 06 12:53 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If you are a new model starting out then you should NEVER sign with an agency exclusively. This is usually reserved for more established models. But some agencies will get a model to sign exclusively with them but we're talking about the bigger names here.

I don't think she has to mention the name. I used to mention the name of the agency I was signed with but Atlanta is such a small world that everyone knew somebody who knew someone who knew my agent and he would always find out when I was at castings I have no buisness being at.

I know you are new and all to modeling but have you done your homework? I took 2 months studying, reading, researching EVERYTHING about the modeling buisness before I got signed. I was still going to  open calls at agencies (at least half said yes but a good 30% of them were not reputable) Of course I would of never knew that if I had not done my research.

Have you signed the contract yet?! Well, I hope not. You really should do the research first. I can honestly say that there are what? Maybe 5 agencies within the Atlanta vicinity that are legit. That I'm sure of.

Apr 14 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Befor you do anything read this site. Best info on the net http://www.newmodels.com

Apr 14 06 02:45 am Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Unless its a major agency that gets alot of work in the feilds you are going for, then I would recommend not signing an exclusive contract.

A non-exclusive contract would be good. That ensures you can still do your own thing or be signed with other agents or agencies also.

Sounds like whoever you are speaking of is just a manager. If thats the case, make sure she has references of previous assignments she has gotten for her other models she manages and so forth.

Ask her if a non-exclusive contract is available through her.

Apr 14 06 05:13 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Dan  Hood  MM/Moderator wrote:
Befor you do anything read this site. Best info on the net http://www.newmodels.com

Thanks for the link. Very helpful

Apr 14 06 07:03 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

AJ Bella wrote:
I don't think she has to mention the name. I used to mention the name of the agency I was signed with but Atlanta is such a small world that everyone knew somebody who knew someone who knew my agent and he would always find out when I was at castings I have no buisness being at.

This is exactly why I'm not mentioning the name. She has some members that she manages on this site and I would absolutely hate for her to find out I was name dropping in here.

Apr 14 06 07:06 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

dncphotos wrote:
Sounds like whoever you are speaking of is just a manager. If thats the case, make sure she has references of previous assignments she has gotten for her other models she manages and so forth.

She is just a manager.

Apr 14 06 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

dee740 wrote:
I'm looking for print assignments to do some urban work (clothing lines like academiks, enyce, etc) and some catalog work (jcpenney, sears,nordstrom), maybe some parts modeling too. Is my agent enough?. . . .

She is just a manager.

You just answered your own question.

Apr 14 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

dee740 wrote:
I am about to get signed with exclusive management (to a small agency) and I want to know if I really need a big agency to do commercia/print work. I'm looking for print assignments to do some urban work (clothing lines like academiks, enyce, etc) and some catalog work (jcpenney, sears,nordstrom), maybe some parts modeling too. Is my agent enough or do I need to go a different route??

I would suggest you go a different route. In the first place, legitimate commercial agencies in Atlanta do not use exclusive contracts. That she does is enough to make me suspect. To be honest, it sounds like just one more 'net magager', esp since she represents others from this forum, That she also reps photographers shows that she has no idea of what the industry is like. Reping photographers and models requires two separate sets of contacts and knowledge. That she appears to be drawing her models from a net forum is another strike against her.

I would recommend avoiding that exclusive contract like you would avoid the plague. If you sign a contract like that, no legitimatge agency will touch you with a ten foot pole. BTW, I'm retired from commercial photography in Atlanta, so I do know a bit about it.

Apr 14 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

ray robinson

New York, New York, US

I am about to get signed with exclusive management (to a small agency) and I want to know if I really need a big agency to do commercial/print work. I'm looking for print assignments to do some urban work (clothing lines like Academiks, Enyce, etc) and some catalog work (JC Penney, Sears, Nordstrom), maybe some parts modeling too. Is my agent enough or do I need to go a different route??
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*The size of an agency, to me in my professional opinion, means nothing.
Far too often, models sign on with BIG agencies and get placed on a shelf.

What matters about ANY agency is the actual account/clients they have and if they habitually put models (especially new models) on a shelf.

You should want to sign with an agency that specializes in the "types" of assignments YOU want to do. Why sign with FORD, who may specialize in runway work more than anything, yet you seek print work?

**Regarding "commercial/print" ... everything you do photo-wise is "commercial print". Flyers for clubs, calendars, editorial, print ads, hair mags, catalog, etc.
Refer to what you want in its specific "actual" term. If advertisements for products (Pepsi, Academiks, Mc Donald's, etc) are what you mean then use the correct term "print ads" or "print advertisements".

To do print ads you would want to get with an agency that handles those types of work ... regardless of big or small. You as a model should LEARN the field of print work and how it comes together so that when you speak to so-called agents who claim to deal with these bookings, you'll know INSTANTLY as you speak to them if they are legit or bogus.

Most models who want to do print ads are unaware that MOST ads are NOT put together by the company which makes that product/service. Most companies pay an advertising agency to handle this. Therefore you compcard would go to that ad agency ... NOT the company such as Mc Donald's or BellSouth. These BIGS companies usually go pay a MAJOR advertising agency to put those ads together. And MOST ad agencies DO NOT work with freelance models. They mostly work with models that are represented by a modeling agency.

***As for doing print ads & catalog work  ... as with any assignment you as a model WANT to do; you MUST analyze the REALISTIC types of assignments you are suited for. Otherwise you would be seeking harder bookings for you to realistically get.

EX: If you are an excellent singer ... for gospel ... you feel that you WANT to get a record deal as a country singer. Will that REALISTICALLY happen? Probably not.
Go for what you know. Do what you are suited for. You'll get more bookings and you earn more Benjamins $$$$$$.

As for taking another route, I am not aware of the agency you are considering.
Ask yourself these questions:
1. Do you get a good vibe when you speak to them?
2. When you contact them does it take them a while to get back to you?
3. Are their business hours good for you?
4. Have they shown interest in you as a new model by educating you to certain things about this business of modeling?
5. Do they want money? If so how much & what for?
6. Does it "feel" as if they know what they are talking about or do they talk in circles?
Do they have ANY complaint listed with the Better Business Bureau in their city? Membership means NOTHING! Complaints are what you find out about.
7. How long is this contract you are to sign?

Food for thought. All will be well.  smile

Apr 15 06 03:52 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

ray robinson wrote:
I am about to get signed with exclusive management (to a small agency) and I want to know if I really need a big agency to do commercial/print work. I'm looking for print assignments to do some urban work (clothing lines like Academiks, Enyce, etc) and some catalog work (JC Penney, Sears, Nordstrom), maybe some parts modeling too. Is my agent enough or do I need to go a different route??
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*The size of an agency, to me in my professional opinion, means nothing.
Far too often, models sign on with BIG agencies and get placed on a shelf.

What matters about ANY agency is the actual account/clients they have and if they habitually put models (especially new models) on a shelf.

You should want to sign with an agency that specializes in the "types" of assignments YOU want to do. Why sign with FORD, who may specialize in runway work more than anything, yet you seek print work?

**Regarding "commercial/print" ... everything you do photo-wise is "commercial print". Flyers for clubs, calendars, editorial, print ads, hair mags, catalog, etc.
Refer to what you want in its specific "actual" term. If advertisements for products (Pepsi, Academiks, Mc Donald's, etc) are what you mean then use the correct term "print ads" or "print advertisements".

To do print ads you would want to get with an agency that handles those types of work ... regardless of big or small. You as a model should LEARN the field of print work and how it comes together so that when you speak to so-called agents who claim to deal with these bookings, you'll know INSTANTLY as you speak to them if they are legit or bogus.

Most models who want to do print ads are unaware that MOST ads are NOT put together by the company which makes that product/service. Most companies pay an advertising agency to handle this. Therefore you compcard would go to that ad agency ... NOT the company such as Mc Donald's or BellSouth. These BIGS companies usually go pay a MAJOR advertising agency to put those ads together. And MOST ad agencies DO NOT work with freelance models. They mostly work with models that are represented by a modeling agency.

***As for doing print ads & catalog work  ... as with any assignment you as a model WANT to do; you MUST analyze the REALISTIC types of assignments you are suited for. Otherwise you would be seeking harder bookings for you to realistically get.

EX: If you are an excellent singer ... for gospel ... you feel that you WANT to get a record deal as a country singer. Will that REALISTICALLY happen? Probably not.
Go for what you know. Do what you are suited for. You'll get more bookings and you earn more Benjamins $$$$$$.

As for taking another route, I am not aware of the agency you are considering.
Ask yourself these questions:
1. Do you get a good vibe when you speak to them?
2. When you contact them does it take them a while to get back to you?
3. Are their business hours good for you?
4. Have they shown interest in you as a new model by educating you to certain things about this business of modeling?
5. Do they want money? If so how much & what for?
6. Does it "feel" as if they know what they are talking about or do they talk in circles?
Do they have ANY complaint listed with the Better Business Bureau in their city? Membership means NOTHING! Complaints are what you find out about.
7. How long is this contract you are to sign?

Food for thought. All will be well.  smile

As I stated a little earlier, she is really a manager that owns a company that reps a variety of different types in the business. She reps photogs, plus sizes, women, men and children, actors, and writers.
Initially, I got a good vibe from her because she's very nice. But I just want to make sure that she's business savvy also.

As for the length of the contract it is intially two years.
She isn' t asking for money, but she is asking 25% comission (which seems to be uncommon).
I think she may be familiar with the business, but plus size and urban  arenas  seem to be a little different than  runway/editorial work. I want someone experienced in  plus size/urban specifically.
She also arranged a photoshoot,(which i took) at no cost to me, ever.

Apr 15 06 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ray robinson wrote:

If you are going to lecture people on terminology, you at least ought to get it right.  "Commercial print" has a very distinct meaning in the modeling community, and much of what you include in "commercial print" doesn't belong there.

Editorial is not "commercial print".  Catalog is not "commercial print" (it is "fashion print", which is a distinct discipline).  "Hair mags" is not well enough defined to determine what it is; it could be "editorial" or "fashion print"; on occasion a photo in a hair magazine could also be commercial print.

Print ads for products such as Pepsi or McDonalds are in fact referred to properly as "commercial print work" in the professional modeling community.

Apr 15 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

dee740 wrote:
She isn' t asking for money, but she is asking 25% comission (which seems to be uncommon).

As I noted above, no legitimate Atlanta commecial modeling agency uses exclusive contracts.

The commission rate for Atlanta commercial modeling agencies is 20% of the model's fee not 25%.

Apr 15 06 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

dee740 wrote:
Initially, I got a good vibe from her because she's very nice. But I just want to make sure that she's business savvy also.

Most people who make a living from taking advantage of others will present themselves in ways that will set you at ease.  I'm not saying that she's trying to take advantage of you, per se, but listen to the things you've stated yourself:

dee740 wrote:

dee740 wrote:
...she is really a manager that owns a company that reps a variety of different types in the business.  She reps photogs, plus sizes, women, men and children, actors, and writers.

dee740 wrote:
I want someone experienced in  plus size/urban specifically.

dee740 wrote:

Now, tell me where you benefit in all of this?  It doesn't sound like you do.  In your position, it's not a deal I would sign...

Apr 15 06 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

ray robinson

New York, New York, US

I agree.

Ray

Apr 15 06 03:33 pm Link

Model

Miss Koi

Houston, Alaska, US

ray robinson wrote:
I agree.

Ray

Definitely agree with Ray..

Apr 15 06 03:48 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Actually..I already KNOW who you're talking about. Again, this is a small world.

Don't sign an exclusive contract. NEVER sign exclusive contracts with managers. Their job is NOT to find you work. It is to develop you. If they find you work...(in Atlanta, you need a license but you can be an agent and a manager. She's not yet licensed.)...then all the better. You need to express to your manager that you wish to sign with a larger company. I haven't checked your stats yet to know if you'd be accepted by any. But, this is the concern you should tell her. This is what you're seeking.

She hasn't done anything big for her talent. She's also new to this. Only been a manager for just over a year. But, she's a former model. I've seen and networked with a couple of her talent. [who of which are NOT signed exclusively] So, she does bring some work. She's just not a gonna get you the big jobs. At least not at present...unless you're going to be her breakout star and she's going to exhaust her contacts to concentrate solely on you which she isn't.
She's really more for promoting you than anything.

She will be good for smaller jobs. And, she may bring you some bigger work eventually...but it's yet to be seen. And, therefore, very unwise to sign an exclusive agreement. And, if she pushes you to do so. Tell her no. Either she'll say fine and accept you non-exclusively or she will pass. If she offered you a contract to begin with, I don't see any reason why she'd turn down a non-exclusive deal.

Either way...YOU will be better off.
You have NO reason to sign an exclusive contract.

Apr 15 06 04:30 pm Link

Model

Justine_Danielle

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Since we are on this topic, anybody know about Highlite Agency, based out of Scranton, Pennsylvania?

* Justine * Danielle *

Apr 15 06 04:35 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

dee740 wrote:
I got a good vibe from her because she's very nice.

Means nothing in this industry. There is talent that is making major pay but HATE their mangers. And vice versa.

dee740 wrote:
As for the length of the contract it is initially two years.
She isn' t asking for money, but she is asking 25% commission (which seems to be uncommon).

Although, it is rightfully legal for a manger to assume a 5% to 40% commission.
It is NOT practical for a talent to give up anything more than 20%. And IN ATLANTA, no manager or agency will request more than 20%. And, with most managers in Atlanta (who really get more work from their actors, athletes and alternative artists than from managers because agencies deal with models) So, again, you're NOT her primary focus...so why would you sign an exclusive contract.

And, NO ONE in the Atlanta market signs away a 2 year contract...and no one signs an exclusive contract out here either.

dee740 wrote:
She also arranged a photoshoot,(which i took) at no cost to me, ever.

Wow! Just caught this.

Atlanta is the land of TFP/CD, so this wasn't really a major feet. You can do this yourself if you search.

Apr 15 06 04:42 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

well I've considered all things said, and no one really had anything positive to say about this situation. I'm definitely not going exclusive with her. Like someone previously stated, she either will have to accept that and sign me nonexclusively or move on.

Apr 15 06 10:47 pm Link

Model

MysticMajesty

Pinconning, Michigan, US

This is a great question. I have wondered this very thing myself!

Apr 15 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

JustineDanielle wrote:
Since we are on this topic, anybody know about Highlite Agency, based out of Scranton, Pennsylvania?

* Justine * Danielle *

Please excuse this momentary HighJacking

Ever visited Scranton, Justine?
Try here http://www.easybackgroundcheck.com/highlite.html

Apr 15 06 11:13 pm Link

Model

Justine_Danielle

New Haven, Connecticut, US

NewBoldPhoto wrote:

Please excuse this momentary HighJacking

Ever visited Scranton, Justine?
Try here http://www.easybackgroundcheck.com/highlite.html

Me and my sister had gone to a meet, and luckily, we didn't have to pay for our pictures. They said we can use what was already in our portfolios...

But I don't know?

Justine

Apr 15 06 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

MysticMajesty wrote:
This is a great question. I have wondered this very thing myself!

So to answer the general question, then... does big agency = big jobs... the answer is established qualty agencies obtain the lions share of the major assignments. The reason is two-fold: estabished reputations grant them ready access and a large client base; and they generally have the established talent. For new faces, it is not a sin to sign with a smaller agency (NOTE i said agency -- yes they call themselves management companies so they can get a bigger commission but they are licensed agencies as well... not managers!) but only if that agency is not a start up with unestablished bookers and no major (or at least established minor) talent. They would also have to jump through some hoops to convince me (were I you) that they are committed to my career, and the term should not exceed a year, or if longer there would have to be an escape clause. Also, one has to have a realistic understanding of their current 'marketability'. If you've been turned down by the agencies you desire, then obviously the smaller agencies have more appeal. Finally, being a new face in a huge agency with hundreds of new faces may get you a solid number of general castings, but will not get you the kind of attention it takes to truly break new talent.

In short the answer is... it depends... LOL... well THAT was helpful!

Apr 15 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

Your post is lame... as well your "I'm not going to name names" crap.

In reality... YES to have a BIG career... YES you need to have a major legit agent.

But fear not... you probably will never need to worry about it.

Apr 15 06 11:37 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
Your post is lame... as well your "I'm not going to name names" crap.

In reality... YES to have a BIG career... YES you need to have a major legit agent.

But fear not... you probably will never need to worry about it.

Have  we met before?  Did I reject you? Seems like you have a personal problem. You act as if I personally attacked you or something.

Apr 15 06 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

If so easily stirred or offended... might I suggest waiting tables or perhaps Home Depot as a career option....

Apr 15 06 11:59 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
If so easily stirred or offended... might I suggest waiting tables or perhaps Home Depot as a career option....

you  sound so disturbed I don't need to take any suggestions from you. Misery Loves Company and you're not taking me with you. Just go to bed. I'm not gonna let you hijack my thread with your foolishness.

Apr 16 06 12:02 am Link