Forums > General Industry > ...or are ya just plain stupid?

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Probably the single biggest annoyance for me is when half of someone's portfolio is thumbnails. Do people even bother to double check what they've just done before moving onto the next task... And, I hate to generalize, but it's usually models who do this.

Apr 13 06 08:29 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

My ego is way too big to only put up thumbnails.

Apr 13 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Probably the single biggest annoyance for me is when half of someone's portfolio is thumbnails. Do people even bother to double check what they've just done before moving onto the next task... And, I hate to generalize, but it's usually models who do this.

I've noticed that there is a lot of that going on too...The biggest problem that I have with it is being able to see the facial features.

Apr 13 06 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Doug Harvey wrote:
I've noticed that there is a lot of that going on too...The biggest problem that I have with it is being able to see the facial features.

I'll go one step further... I notice it a lot in British model ports.

Apr 13 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Nemi wrote:
My ego is way too big to only put up thumbnails.

Out of the mouth of a babe.  LOL  I love it!

Apr 13 06 08:44 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

What constitutes a thumbnail to you.  I use typically use 400 x 600 pixels with medium jpg compression.  I don't want to be a server hog.  I think some people might be worried about their images being pirated.  On the other hand, camera phones don't make big pics do they? smile

Apr 13 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:

they look smaller because they're further away....

Apr 13 06 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
What constitutes a thumbnail to you.  I use typically use 400 x 600 pixels with medium jpg compression.  I don't want to be a server hog.  I think some people might be worried about their images being pirated.  On the other hand, camera phones don't make big pics do they? smile

Thumbnail:
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060409/01/4438abb2622a5_t.jpg

Apr 13 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Interesting...I haven't noticed it so much from the over seas models.

Apr 13 06 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Ummm, it's models because they're mostly ones that don't understand resolution/dpi/size issues. Some are trying to get the size down to upload, some don't get the resolution/size thing - and some just use small phone cameras.

I've had models try to e-mail me a 2-5 MB jpeg photo and some who can only get postage stamp size photos out (would you believe 80x120 pixles?).

Most photographers have had to work with size/quality/resolution enough to learn, but there are exceptions here too. Provided a 4,000X6,000 pixle film scan to one once and they said "the pictures is too small, but the file was too big, could I send him a larger picture but smaller file?" - the scan was a 4,000 dpi scan of a 35mm slide and they didn't know how to change the size/resolution in photoshop's image size dialog. He was outputing at 1 X 1.5 inches at 4,000 dpi.

Apr 16 06 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Zeo

Canton, Ohio, US

LOL.  some Digi-videocameras are also guilty for providing thumb nalized LOW dpi images when uploaded "improperly" (raka Read data save data produces thumbnails.)

for models doing self shots that's a problem.

Apr 16 06 01:56 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lately (i.e. only started doing this on my most recent disc) I send out the edited images in three sizes for the model.  That way I can be reasonably sure that reasonable compression was used, and that the image has a chance of looking ok when she puts it on her profile.  To ask her to have to deal with the resizing is a workflow step that isn't reasonable to ask them to ask if I am running the images through photoshop anyway. 

So I will send EditedimageA.large.jpg, medium.jpg, small.jpg - that gives them some choice.  I have MM and OMP in mind when selecting the resolutions, in addition to the full rez one for printing should she choose to do so.

Since I don't send out dozens of images from one shoot anymore (just the edits) its no big deal.

Apr 16 06 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Is this anything like the models (haven't seen a photog do this yet) that scans in a photo and posts it with ALL of the surrounding white space (8.5"x11") because they don't know how to use a free image editor to crop? That essentially makes the actual image itself a thumbnail.

Apr 16 06 07:48 am Link

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

Gary Davis wrote:

they look smaller because they're further away....

LOL.... THAT was funny....  smile

Apr 16 06 08:08 am Link