Forums > General Industry > Photog no show, what's up with that?

Model

Lynn Elizabeth

Palm Beach, Florida, US

About two weeks ago a photgrapher started talking to me. He said that he was going to be in my area on personal business but wanted to set up a shoot before he went back down to the south. I thought it was a good idea because his work was beautiful. So we set up a date to shoot.

He called me when we first started talking to get a better understand about what each was looking to add to the portfolios. The phone conversation was productive and he had asked me to find a nice place in my area where we could shoot, because he was unfamiliar with the area. Understandable.

I found a beautiful, older house which just happens to be where a few of my friends are living this year for college. It has a beautiful older kitchen and wonderful wooden stairs, and a gorgeous front door. The place was perfect. So I asked them if I could use it for the day, they said yeah. We spent the whole weekend cleaning the house and the backyard (for outside shots near the barn-like garage)

The Photographer never showed up, NEVER EVEN CALLED ME! Still hasn't called me. Please tell me that I'm not the only one who thinks that is very unprofessional. Most photographers talk about their model not showing up, but wow, the photographer not showing up or even calling. Please, give me a break.

Apr 11 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

He's a jerk, just like models who don't show! Maybe he had an untimely accident and is no longer with us?

Apr 11 06 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Shawn Kuck

Columbia, Tennessee, US

Your probably better off to tell you the truth, but yeah thats pretty much a crappy deal. Phone calls people, it runs both ways. I would definitely never shoot with them, there has to be some kind of punishment for being an a$$-hole in this industry but unfortunately there's not.

Shawn

Apr 11 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Photos2amaze

Atlanta, Georgia, US

So the last conversation you had with him was to find a place to shoot and that was the last you heard from him?   It stinks anyway you slice it to have a shoot planned and then have it not happen.  Was the date, time, location, etc. set in stone? 

I think its pretty typical of internet modeling to get to about 2nd base with plans and the ship sinks for one reason or another.  Communication is the most important issue.

Apr 11 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

His loss for damn sure.  And yes he is a MORON.  bs

Apr 11 06 10:08 am Link

Model

Lynn Elizabeth

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Shoot was suppose to happen last sunday the 9th at 8:00pm. Never happened though.

Apr 11 06 10:09 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

I feel ya.  Happened to me twice with the same photog.  We made plans to shoot, talked on the phone, worked out concepts/wardrobe/general location/etc.  The plan was to shoot in the afternoon at a lake just outside town.  I'm very familiar with the area, so asked where we'd be setting up.  He said he would call and let me know after he scouted a few spots.  I received not one single call and left 3 messages on his voicemail asking where to meet him.  Then, I let it happen again!  He made some excuse about not having cell service.  (I know for a fact that cell phones work out there, I spend half the summer on that lake.)  Same thing the second time....no call, wouldn't answer my calls.  Just got an email from him yesterday saying "we never got our schedules together" before and he still wants to shoot.  I think the saying goes....."Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me."  It's an asshole move no matter who does it, model or photog.  BE PROFESSIONAL PEOPLE!

Apr 11 06 10:12 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Unfortunately I can top that lol. When I first started I drove 2 hours to a photogs studio and he wasnt there! I waited but he never came. Called me a week later to say it slipped his mind. Hes still trying to get me to reschedule lol. Dont feel bad. Hell be the one regretting it later!

Apr 11 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

KatieK wrote:
(I know for a fact that cell phones work out there, I spend half the summer on that lake.)

Just and FYI, different cell phone service providers have different coverage areas, and all phones are not created equal.  Just because your phone works doesn't mean someone elses will.

I was at a lake in Nor Cal and only few of us had service outside of the marina, and some couldn't even get it in the marina.

Apr 11 06 11:57 am Link

Model

Lynn Elizabeth

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Or anyone think it's unprofessional?

Apr 11 06 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

s. jenx

Morton, Pennsylvania, US

I think its EXTREMELY unprofessional

Apr 11 06 02:10 pm Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Wow a simple phone call would have been great even if it was to say..."I dont want to shoot anymore, kiss my foot" or something but just to outright not call or anything, thats a bit over the edge! My advice is to just chalk it up to a learning experience and never talk to the jerk again, like someone said it is definitely his loss and Im sure that he will be contacting you again to work with him!

The location you found sounded perfect to...shame, shame, shame!

Apr 11 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Artist Photography

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Definitely a twist to the frustrations usually heard on these boards - it's unimaginable, incomprehensible to me......

Sorry it happened -

FWIW -

Bill Ballard
Blue Water Photography
Savannah, GA
[email protected]

Apr 11 06 02:29 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Lynn Elizabeth wrote:

Of course it's un[professional. I've never had a photographer not how up for a shoot.  I've had a few "forget" to tell me the shoot was canceled, so if I hadn't called to confirm and just shown up, they wouldn't have been there.  I've had one not show up for a go-see type meeting.  And I do know at least one model that had this happen.  She had an MUA and stylist there, but the photographer was MIA.

Apr 11 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Riskypictures

NORTHFORD, Connecticut, US

sounds like it would have been a great shoot, im in connecticut if i had a better car i would have come all the way down there ,  I had to cancel once on a model i was supposed to shoot with and I still feel bad about it, it was only about two months ago and the morning of the shoot i fell down the stairs while i was loading the car and tore my achilles tendon, so i def couldnt make it and she left work early for the shoot , so i still feel bad about it but it can happen , but at least i let her know i couldnt come

Apr 11 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

matt h

Oakland, California, US

Lynn Elizabeth wrote:

I'll add another voice....of course it's unprofessional. I had the same thing happen (this was a model) two weeks ago...but i had a sense it was going south, even though i had a productive phone call setting up the shoot. After no return call, I decided it was better to shoot abandoned buildings.

FWIW, this was a Musecube model in LA...name provided at request.

Apr 11 06 10:45 pm Link