Forums > General Industry > Anyone else going to HID July 23?

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

That would be Hot Import Daze at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego. For those who have never been, its like 50-60 beautiful models at booths selling merchandise and posing for fans photos. They also walk around and pose with some of the import cars too, then you also have the HIN Bikini Squad made up of top models who roam around. As if that wasn't enough, there are also several stages with DJs and 4 different teams of models who also pull double duty as gogo dancers. Its basically a photographers paradise and you better come with many batteries and memory cards. 

I have only been to Hot Import Nights which was fantastic, all of the models were gorgeous and more than willing to pose for photos. All of the ones I met were very nice and I was able to work with some of them as well. I hear Daze is just as good but being outdoors and in the daytime makes for even better photos and the models are a little more accessible. The lineup already looks great once again. Christine Mendoza, Jeri Lee, CJ Gibson, Carmela Decesare, Cherie Roberts, Sasha Singleton, Masuimi Max and many more. here is a link to who will be there and whats coming up http://www.hotimportnights.com/models/

If any of you photogs out here in Cali are going, let me know and maybe we can all meet up before the show.

Jul 05 05 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Nope... everybody's comin to the free admission Model Mayhem 'Network Pizza Party' (same day-details on our MM page).  You didnt tell the guys how much it costs to get in, and besides, most all the model positions at that event were already booked by local agents. You'll have to fight off 100's of other photographers to get that models pic, and then photoshop dozens of event lookie-lews out of the background... good luck!

Jul 05 05 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

LMAO!! I know. When I went to the first night of HIN 2005 in LA this past March, there was hardly any room to walk around the model lounge and taking pics without people in the way was pretty difficult, good thing I'm tall. I did still manage to get many good shots with only the model while she posed for me for a couple shots. Its only $19 to get in which I think is GREAT to be able to take pics of beautiful models all day. Besides, that is the only place you will see and be able to get pics of many of them gogo dancing which makes it even better. Plus, being able to talk with the model directly insted of E-mails  about working with her is worth the admission by itself. I guess you have to be in to the Import model scene to really appreciate it, but I think many of them are some of the most beautiful models around.

Have fun at that pizza party, I would be there if it was on another day. Hopefully there will be another similar event soon, thanks.

Jul 05 05 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

CUAeroGrad

San Diego, California, US

I'm thinking about going this year - went last year and did find some really pleasant and fun ladies to shoot. But also came across a couple that refused to let anyone shoot them unless they were going to be in a magazine and paid for it.  Seemed quite snobbish considering the location and company they were in!  Overall a worthy event, but as with anything you have to weed out the bad amongst the good!

Jul 06 05 02:11 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Ya, I hear ya. At least the Import models are WAY more down to earth and photo friendly than the models at Glamourcon. I am surprised they don't make you pay $5 just to walk by them...

Let me know a few days in advance if you end up going, I am always up for meeting and networking with photogs and models out here in SoCal.

Jul 06 05 02:20 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by MichaelBell: 
I have only been to Hot Import Nights which was fantastic, all of the models were gorgeous and more than willing to pose for photos.

So that's where you got all the great shots on your port?  In all seriousness, I don't know what you guys get out of group shoots, and worse yet, car shows.  What about backgrounds, lighting, etc?  Are those models going to go off somewhere with you and let you have an hour by yourself?

Paul

Jul 06 05 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 

Posted by MichaelBell: 
I have only been to Hot Import Nights which was fantastic, all of the models were gorgeous and more than willing to pose for photos.

So that's where you got all the great shots on your port?  In all seriousness, I don't know what you guys get out of group shoots, and worse yet, car shows.  What about backgrounds, lighting, etc?  Are those models going to go off somewhere with you and let you have an hour by yourself?

Paul

Where else can you meet and talk with a ton of great models all in one place aside from shows like these? Even without a camera I would still go just to try and set up future photoshoots. You have to know how to pick your spots and catch the models at opportune times. I had 5-6 of the biggest models there to myself for a few minutes at different times of the night which was certainly worth $20 to me. I love to shoot candids and spontanious shots of models as well and this is a great opportunity. I dont have to be one on one in perfect settings all the time to enjoy taking photos. Sure thats great but not what you get at a convention and most people know this going in. There are mini studios set up in the model lounge but I am not sure how you get a session in one, I am sure they are booked up way ahead of time anyways.

Jul 06 05 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Paul, it's mostly just for fun and you can make some contacts etc. You don't get artistic one-on-one shooting at the show but you can work on your event photography skills.  My first "model photography" experience was actually at Extreme Autofest at Coors.  That's what got me hooked (Courtney Day smile )  This was back before the places got mobbed by guys with camera phones.  I got kind of tired of it but still go now and then.  Now that I'm working on this magazine project I've got to see if I can make some connections.

Michael, I wouldn't mind going and meeting up with you.  Send me a message.

Jul 08 05 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Havoc Brand

Crown Point, Indiana, US

I do event photography for these events... While you might not have a place to shoot away from the world at HID or HIN there are other events that you can shoot at and get away from the crowd... But then again I have a name in that type of industry in the midwest having shot for a number of tuner and minitruck magazines.

Plus odd lighting is in supply at these events... just bring reflectors, you'll need them...

~Billy

Jul 08 05 04:10 pm Link