Forums > General Industry > Question: Tipping the assistant

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

I have a scenario in which I am paying for an assistant but the other stylists, photographer and even the model may also need to utilize my assistant.  Should they tip?  If so, how much?  Or, is it best to ask them to bring their own assistant even though space is an issue.

Apr 07 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

i gotta tell you until recently i didnt know that you tipped the assistants, until one day my MUA asked me if i included the tip for the assistant (she was getting paid already) in my invoice

Apr 08 06 12:10 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Chili wrote:
i gotta tell you until recently i didnt know that you tipped the assistants, until one day my MUA asked me if i included the tip for the assistant (she was getting paid already) in my invoice

that was not the question.  The question was if she pays the assistant but you USE the assistant should you not pay something to someone.

Apr 08 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

C and J Photography

Hauula, Hawaii, US

Hmmm... This is a good ethics issue.  Also a good human relations issue.

Assume you are being paid for your services, AND your services are either marketable or at a premium because of the assistant. It could be argued that the customer who was effectively paying everyone had paid the assistant and there is no foul.

Assume you are under the weather, AND you bring an associate this one time as an assistant to get the job done with your vision and the assistant's talent. You pay the assistant out of your pocket effectively redistributing your own funds.
It could be argued that the assistant truly is there for your benefit alone.

If you don't bring an assistant do you help other team members?

If the assistant helps other team members does this take away from you or just fill slack time?

Do you or the assistant feel taken for granted because of the peripheral assignments?

Were you working an account you value highly, or not so much?

The way I see it the whole team benefits when a universally adaptable member joins the project. This means statistically the shots will be better, the job will be completed either faster or more thoroughly, and stress levels will be lower.

I would lean toward charging a rate that made you happy to bring the assistant.  Letting the assistant know that you considered all activities to help the team that did not interfere with your job a goodwill effort to keep the two of you in demand. I would worry that the assistant might gain more goodwill than you might from the assistant's assistance.

This is a tough call with guaranteed and probably substantial unintended consequences. It is good that you are giving this thorough consideration before deciding your position.

Not knowing the personalities involved I have no real recommendation.

I wish you well with your solution.

Apr 08 06 02:35 am Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

I would make it known to your assistant that to Him/her you are the client, if other people utilize your assistant then your work is comprimised  I would let your assistant do small things for the photographer but not for the other stylists.

Apr 08 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

kensexton1

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Hi!
    When I was an assistant I was always broke.  I had to wait 30,60, 90 days for a $50.00 Check.  The point is I treat my crews very well because I want you to work for me again. 
     Now I have a rule.  I like to go to resturants.  I am a good tipper.  The reason? 
     If the Whole World is Mad at Me ,and that does happen?!  I Still have a place to go.

Happy Shooting
                                                       Luv
                                                       Ken
                                                       Kgsphoto

Apr 08 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Narvell wrote:
I have a scenario in which I am paying for an assistant but the other stylists, photographer and even the model may also need to utilize my assistant.  Should they tip?  If so, how much?  Or, is it best to ask them to bring their own assistant even though space is an issue.

If you are ok with using the assistant you hired, I think they should tip the assistant.

Apr 08 06 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Narvell, in your specific situation, I think the rest of the people, if they will be using the assistant, should share the cost of the assistant, instead of you paying him/her and the rest tip.  I think that is the most fair to everyone involved.

The assistant gets his/her day rate.

You didn't overpay because you will not his/her full attention.

The rest would not have to figure out what tip to pay, and instead just sharing the attention of the same person.

That's how I see it.

Apr 08 06 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Landra Lee Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

These guys know what they're talking about.  smile

If you don't feel like sharing:

Duncan wrote:
I would make it known to your assistant that to Him/her you are the client, if other people utilize your assistant then your work is comprimised  I would let your assistant do small things for the photographer but not for the other stylists.

If you do feel like sharing:

lll wrote:
Narvell, in your specific situation, I think the rest of the people, if they will be using the assistant, should share the cost of the assistant, instead of you paying him/her and the rest tip.  I think that is the most fair to everyone involved.

The assistant gets his/her day rate.

You didn't overpay because you will not his/her full attention.

The rest would not have to figure out what tip to pay, and instead just sharing the attention of the same person.

That's how I see it.

Apr 08 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

StevenNoreyko

Austin, Texas, US

This sounds kinda funky to me.

I don't know how MUA's do things, but photo-assistants don't get tips. They bill the photographer a day/project rate and get paid.

If I hire a MUA for a commercial shoot, they are going to bill me for the service and I'll pay them whatever day/hourly rate they quote me. If the MUA has an assistant as part of the rate they charge, that's not my concern - the assistant works for the MUA. I'm certainly not going to tip the MUAs assistant.

I don't understand where tipping fits into this at all.  Does this have something to do with the tipping that hair/makeup people get when they work at a salon?

-steve
http://www.stevennoreyko.com/

Apr 09 06 04:41 am Link

Photographer

Scott Meyer

Cincinnati, Iowa, US

I worked as an assistant for 4 years and never got a tip and never expected one. I got paid a day rate just like everone else.

I always helped everone on the shoot including stylists, MUA, clients, art directors and anyone else who happented to show up to the shoot and a lot of times they would help me as well.

Apr 09 06 07:58 am Link