Forums > General Industry > Horrible tear sheet...

Photographer

Douglas Rosen

Orlando, Florida, US

Well, I feel totally screwed. I shot fashion show as a favor to a friend, in the bahamas over the weekend and a local paper send a photographer to cover it. Well, my shots were better than his and so the designer gave them some of my photos to use if they wanted to. They ran a nice article on the show, printed two of my photos (not bad color for a newspaper too, although not the best shots from the show, but so what) and then they just listed the photos as courtesy of the designer.

What the hell?!?

So, now I have a useless tear sheet and I let them have the images for free to help him out and also because I wanted the tear sheet. I honestly would have rathered them just not use my photos than use them and not put my name with them. But what can I do now? Anyway, I am not sure if I am writting this for advice or just to vent, but that is life...

by the way, before anyone asks, yes the paper was given my name with the CD and yes each digital file says my name and copyright in the comment.

Apr 06 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

NO!

Not useless tears, you have tearsheets... PERIOD

I am sure you have the original uncropped versions that you always can supply as proof that YOU took the pictures.

Then, since they credited the designer, let the designer write you a letter on his/her letterhead and thank you for your professional work, and that he/she (the designer) is happily to inform you that two of your images were published in the newspaper named ... page XX on XXX (date).

Easy!

Apr 06 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Douglas Rosen

Orlando, Florida, US

UdoR wrote:
NO!

Not useless tears, you have tearsheets... PERIOD

I am sure you have the original uncropped versions that you always can supply as proof that YOU took the pictures.

Then, since they credited the designer, let the designer write you a letter on his/her letterhead and thank you for your professional work, and that he/she (the designer) is happily to inform you that two of your images were published in the newspaper named ... page XX on XXX (date).

Easy!

Thank you for that, I do appreciate it. I was actually thinking that maybe the paper could give me something on their letterhead stating that instead of the designer.

oh, and as far as the uncropped, I try to shoot as close to finished as possible in the camera so I didnt give them one shot with any editing, time was also a factor but the shots were good as is. I shot them in both raw and jpg at the same time so even though I gave them a high quality jpg I do still have the much larger raw files. although in the future I think I will always compress the files a little more before giving them to someone, just to be safe. thanks again

Apr 07 06 12:14 am Link