Forums > General Industry > Online Magazines

Photographer

J. Stakeman

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Anyone know any good online fashion magazines... ones that only(or primarily exist online)

I know of

zoozoom.com
lagmagazine.com
iconique.com
spheremag.com 

any others that any of you would reccomend?

Apr 06 06 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

J. Stakeman

nobody?

Apr 07 06 08:13 am Link

Photographer

ericphotonyc

Brooklyn, New York, US

hint.com
dresslab.com
tigermagazine.org

Apr 07 06 08:25 am Link

Photographer

J. Stakeman

hintmag was interesting.  Its neat to see which treat editorials as animation, and which do straight still shots.

Any other suggestions from the crowd?

Apr 07 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I would like to see this thread revived. List any you do not already see listed. All types, fashion, glamour,fetish, art photography, you name it.

May 10 06 11:10 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

This is gonna sound stupid, but could somebody explain the concept of online fashion mags to me.  How do they operate, etc?  Sorry for being an idiot.

May 10 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
This is gonna sound stupid, but could somebody explain the concept of online fashion mags to me.  How do they operate, etc?  Sorry for being an idiot.

Some people, especially busy people, like to have access to magazines without having to carry an actual printed copy around. Some carry a laptop with them on trips and such and by typing in a few words can have access to online magazines. No paper, no tree killed smile

May 10 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

What I've never quite understood is what differentiates an online magazine from just...a website.  Is it something to do with layout?  Content?  Or is it just a matter of calling your website an online magazine and voila...you are one?

May 10 06 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
What I've never quite understood is what differentiates an online magazine from just...a website.  Is it something to do with layout?  Content?  Or is it just a matter of calling your website an online magazine and voila...you are one?

That is a very good question... which I don't know the answer to.  So bumping it up for good measure.   

Speaking of magazines, anyone see the latest issue of Rolling Stone with the 3D cover?

May 10 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

J. Stakeman

This thread is like a month old, and then suddenly comes back to life.

While there are a lot of ways to argue about what makes a website an online magazine...

I think the most generic answer is probably ad supported, edited content.  Although not all of them have ads like 180 Mag http://180degreeimaging.com/180mag/

But as the other thread argues the importance of online "publication" are there any other mags that people think are worthwhile?

May 10 06 01:02 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

*EDIT*

"THESE ARE" Not magazines, but as I mentioned in the other thread, there are hundreds of legitimate online catalogues, either for specific designers, or licensed vendors that shoot their own content not available in print.

May 10 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

VikyL wrote:
Not magazines, but as I mentioned in the other thread, there are hundreds of legitimate online catalogues, either for specific designers, or licensed vendors that shoot their own content not available in print.

So, there can be online catalogues but not online magazines? hmm.

May 10 06 01:36 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

No, I meant that I was not talking about magazines, but catalogues.  Sorry I should have typed in a complete sentence.  My post should have looked something like:

"I don't know of any other magazines, but I do know of hundreds of online catalogues...etc etc etc."

That's what I get for fast typing.

May 10 06 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Patrick Walberg wrote:
That is a very good question... which I don't know the answer to.  So bumping it up for good measure.   

Speaking of magazines, anyone see the latest issue of Rolling Stone with the 3D cover?

There are a few differences between on-line mags and print mags - the issue of: Is it a website or not?  may not matter at all ... just some quick thoughts:

Advantages of on-line publication:

Full colour even for text - not always available in printed editions and can be too costly to actually do throughout.

All full colour images and graphics. Again there are certain limitations to this in paper printing.

Colour paper - the page background. Not often seen in paper printed materials which almost always start with white paper in the printing plant. If there is a BG colour on a printed paper page it needs to be actually printed there.

Non standard text article length. Where in print an article may be limited as to the minimum and maximum size, usually due to paper size and layout constraints, the limitations do not apply on-line.

Whole articles can be printed together [or the parts linked to be viewed together] so there is not an orphan part of it buried somewhere at the back of the magazine [as in print]

Immediacy - BOTH in compositing the mag and in making changes - where these for print must be set in advance before printing. Print publications, or parts of them, are often laid out weeks in advance and once done are virtually set in stone.

Correctability - once in print it is always in print - but on the web published content can be changed, or updated, even after the publication is produced and initially distributed.

Retractability - has legal ramifications for defamation and libel. On the web a questionable statement can be redacted, withdrawn and removed. Once in print it is legally always in print. In some cases additional third party distribution also gives rise to additional legal action.

linkability - direct links to other related materials or archives of past related materials or even outside sources of additional information.

New technology advantages - can add audio and motion - that are just not possible with print.

Micro-billing - it is possible to charge for only part of the web content and give some of it away free - that can not be done with an all-or-nothing print publication

Substantially lower distribution costs over paper.

No unsold returns - often costly for print publishers as they pay handling charges for that to the magazine distributors in addition to the printing cost overheads.

No wasted or spoiled copies - also, often a significant overhead cost for print publications.

There are other minor and somewhat less important differences as well.

What print publications still have going for them is durability and persistence in the environment. Archiving physical copies is better achieved with print and if properly stored has a proven track record in terms of hundreds of years. The durability of Internet archiving [on e.g. disks] is still an unknown.

Anybody else???

Studio36

May 10 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

J. Stakeman wrote:
This thread is like a month old, and then suddenly comes back to life.

While there are a lot of ways to argue about what makes a website an online magazine...

I think the most generic answer is probably ad supported, edited content.  Although not all of them have ads like 180 Mag http://180degreeimaging.com/180mag/

But as the other thread argues the importance of online "publication" are there any other mags that people think are worthwhile?

That was quite helpful.  Thank you!

May 10 06 02:10 pm Link