Forums > General Industry > Get an email about UK gig for $$? Help!

Model

Ryden

Los Angeles, California, US

Hi fellow models,

I just received an email from a London-based modelling agency (Beauty Queens Models Inc.) offering me a seemingly lucrative gig this month for a show in London.  As I'm new to MM, and the offer seems a bit too good, I wanted to see if anyone else had received this message?  Please message me if you have, or if you have advice about how to go about fact-checking this one.

Thanks guys - I really appreciate your help.

Apr 06 06 05:09 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

S C A M !

There are NO businesses in the UK that are incorporated and use the "Inc" in their name. This has been discussed on MM in the past... several times and with different names.

Studio36

Apr 06 06 05:45 am Link

Photographer

SimonL

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

If it seems too good to be true - it probably is.

Contrary to popular opinion, there is also a huge surplus of models in the UK all looking for work.

Whilst you are undoubtledy very attractive, I'm not convinced that a UK based agency is going to fly you over here just for this..

Apr 06 06 05:52 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

SimonL wrote:
Contrary to popular opinion, there is also a huge surplus of models in the UK all looking for work.

What was that Channel 4 model search thingy a couple of years ago where they had an open call in London and 5000+ would-be models showed up? Now THAT was model mayhem!

LOL

Studio36

Apr 06 06 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've seen several models report that they got the same or similar email.  It's a scam.

Apr 06 06 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Was it a real e-mail or a private message on this site?

If it was a private message on MM, please report the user to the moderators by using the Contact-A-Mod form: https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod.php

Apr 06 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Erica OYoung wrote:
Hi fellow models,

I just received an email from a London-based modelling agency (Beauty Queens Models Inc.) offering me a seemingly lucrative gig this month for a show in London.  As I'm new to MM, and the offer seems a bit too good, I wanted to see if anyone else had received this message?  Please message me if you have, or if you have advice about how to go about fact-checking this one.

Thanks guys - I really appreciate your help.

A "lucrative gig", but in order to pay your travel expenses, they need your bank account numbers to transfer funds. Or, they will send you a certified check in a large amount, asking you to forward excess funds to their associate. Of course the check is counterfeit and the bank goes after you for their loss. Yes, it's a scam which has been around for quite a while, apparently an outgrowth of an older but similar scam aimed at photographrs.

Apr 06 06 10:35 am Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I have received a couple of those. Scam...

Apr 06 06 12:19 pm Link

Model

Ryden

Thank you so much, guys.  I had a feeling my suspicions were true.  I'm going to report MM right away.  Thank goodness I checked!

Here's the actual message so no one else gets sucked in... Any comments/insight?

From: [email protected]  This Member is a No Profile Member - Member ID: 166751
Date: Thu-Apr-2006

Hi  ,
This is Mr.Justin Pratt, the project director of Beauty Queen Models Inc, based in
London, United Kingdom. One of my clients has requested for about 12 beauty models for a modelling show that will be hosted in London by next month, and the nature of the job will include: Lingerie, swimwear, fashion, beauty, tradeshow, fitness, commercial print and runway.
My Agency is contacting you to be part of this modelling show based on the statistics in your profile. Our client has proposed to pay the sum of $50,000 (fifty thousand US dollars only) to each of the participating models for the modelling show which has a 5 (five) days durations. Also, an additional Up-front payment will be made to you, which will cover your flight tickets and other miscelleanous expenses. If you are interested, we are expecting your immediate response. Also, you are to forward 10 (ten) recent photographs of yours.I Look forward to your urgent response.
Best Regards
Justin Pratt
Project Director
Beauty Queen Models Inc.
49 Atalanta Street
London SW6 6TU
UK

Apr 06 06 06:39 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

OMGosh, Mine was almost exactly the same. The only difference was the supposed name of the company.

Isn't it funny that the job they want to hire for encompasses so many genres of modeling?

The thing that really caught my eye was "based on your stats, we want to hire you for....runway" HUH? Whatever! LOL I'm 5'4.

Apr 06 06 06:50 pm Link

Model

Ryden

Hahaha.. That's what I thought - I'm 5"5"!!

Here's the response I got when I asked more questions:

Hi,
  Thanks for your response,and we wish to inform you that your interest in this modelling show is quite appreciated.As i have earlier informed you, the show is starting up next month with a duration of (5) five days 20th ---25th April, 2006.
As a matter of neccesity, we would like you to make enquiry on the cost of your Flight ticket to london and any other expenses which you might incur to facilitate your coming to London for this modelling show, as my company is really interested in you as one of the participating models.
  Upon your enquiry on the Flight and other expenses, you will have to inform me the cost, so that we can immediately forward the money to you through our client.our client will send you a Cashier's Check of his US based bank Account through post,so you will go to the bank and cash the money,so that you will be able to pay for your flight fares and other miscelleanous expense. In order to facilitate the process, you are required to send your: Postal addess, full names and telephone number.Please note that we shall pay you the $50,000 (fifty thousand US Dollars Only) in London.I hope you understand this?So as soon as you send us this info,we will forward it to our client so that he can issue the check and sent it to you.We found your portfolio on one model place and our website is still under construction.Once again,thank you for the interest.Also send us 10 of your recent pictures.I Look forward to your urgent response.
  Best Regards
  Justin Pratt
  Project Director
  Beauty Queen Models Inc.
  49 Atalanta Street
  London SW6 6TU
  UK
  Email: [email protected]

Apr 06 06 06:59 pm Link