Forums > General Industry > What is appropriate pay for calendar shoots

Photographer

Robert James Imaging

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

So, the infamous question.  What is appropriate pay for calendar shoots.  I have an idea for a calendar that I am pretty certain would go over well and will surely sell copies.  How many copies I don't know.  I am envisioning an inital press run of 5000 calendars to be marketed via internet.  If those sell out I get more printed depending on time of year and estimated demand.  Minimum price of calendars would be $20.  My minimum expense before modeling fees and time will be @ $7000-10000.

Some shots would be topless and the market would be nationwide because they would be marketed on the net.  Shots would be tastefully done (rule out the sketch factor now) and this could, if it goes well, be a re-occuring venue.  I would only want to be fair to the models with compensation but I would not want to dig myself into a huge hole financially if this thing doesn't fly like I would expect.  If I make good money I would want to share the wealth, but I do not want to do a royalty setup due to accounting headaches. 

Am I nuts?  Any success stories?  Crash and Burn?  Models, what is your take?  I won't launch this if I don't have a good shot at success.

Apr 05 06 06:08 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

oral.

Apr 05 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Visual E

Wellington, Colorado, US

Do you need 12 models, with one image of each then?

Your minimum expense of $7-10,000 includes what?

Apr 05 06 06:12 pm Link

Model

_ALMUR_

San Francisco, California, US

i'll be in your callender:)

Apr 05 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

I'm interested in hearing the answer.

Apr 05 06 06:17 pm Link

Model

Izabella Steele

New York, New York, US

I like your idea.  If I can be of assistance let me know.

Model

Izabella Steele

New York, New York, US

Model

Izabella Steele

New York, New York, US

Apr 05 06 06:18 pm Link

Model

Izabella Steele

New York, New York, US

Model

Izabella Steele

New York, New York, US

Model

Izabella Steele

New York, New York, US

Model

Izabella Steele

New York, New York, US

Apr 05 06 06:19 pm Link

Model

Izabella Steele

New York, New York, US

Model

Izabella Steele

New York, New York, US

Model

Izabella Steele

New York, New York, US

Model

Izabella Steele

New York, New York, US

Apr 05 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Robert James Imaging

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Visual E wrote:
Do you need 12 models, with one image of each then?

Your minimum expense of $7-10,000 includes what?

Minimum expense includes some lodging and mainly printing cost.  Figure a buck a piece is cheap probably two bucks cost each for quality.  12 models would be wonderful but 6 would probably do if I mixed the themes up completely

Apr 05 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Robert James Imaging wrote:
Minimum expense includes some lodging and mainly printing cost.  Figure a buck a piece is cheap probably two bucks cost each for quality.  12 models would be wonderful but 6 would probably do if I mixed the themes up completely

You are grossly underestimating the cost.  I would suggest you go get some quotes from a few good printers before you make the $2 assumption.  Even Hong Kong (the offset printing capital of the world) cannot do it at that price for a 12 month 12' x 12' full-bleed, CTP calendar, let alone here in the US.  As for $20 a piece?  How did you come up with that price?  You have some serious competitions.  Calendars are cheap.

You have also forgotten the cost of makeup artists, stylists, permit fees, travel, marketing, ad costs.

It's not that it can't be done, it is simply extremely stressful and most people crash and burn without careful cost management and marketing.  Remember, by doing nude calendars you have automatically ruled out any mainstream distribution, namely calendar kiosks (controlled by only a few giant conglomerates).  You are in direct competition with Playboy, Penthouse, Maxim and FHM, who all sell their calendars for less (I believe).  You can't beat their volume so your printing cost would be much higher.  Judging from the fact that you said you are new to this and your images, I don't think you can compete with their offerings in terms of quality either, even if they sell for more.

You may also just barely make it to produce one for 2007 if you start now.

Good luck.

Apr 05 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

So, the infamous question.  What is appropriate pay for calendar shoots.  I have an idea for a calendar that I am pretty certain would go over well and will surely sell copies.  How many copies I don't know.  I am envisioning an inital press run of 5000 calendars to be marketed via internet.  If those sell out I get more printed depending on time of year and estimated demand.  Minimum price of calendars would be $20.  My minimum expense before modeling fees and time will be @ $7000-10000.

Some shots would be topless and the market would be nationwide because they would be marketed on the net.  Shots would be tastefully done (rule out the sketch factor now) and this could, if it goes well, be a re-occuring venue.  I would only want to be fair to the models with compensation but I would not want to dig myself into a huge hole financially if this thing doesn't fly like I would expect.  If I make good money I would want to share the wealth, but I do not want to do a royalty setup due to accounting headaches. 

Am I nuts?  Any success stories?  Crash and Burn?  Models, what is your take?  I won't launch this if I don't have a good shot at success.

You need to do some more research before going forward with this project.

I was a staff photographer, for eleven years, for the spring break calendar at www.classmateusa.com. The calendar is published by Starwest calendars in CA.

To get good calendars, at decent prices, you have to go through a printing broker. They deal with printers in India, China and Korea.

This is the printing broker that did the Classmate calendar. I shot the cover on their 2001 swim suit calendar sample.

http://www.asianprinting.com/calendars.html.

I am not connected with this company. Read the FAQ's and get a quote from them on the printing. This will give you some ideas on cost.

Classmate USA does not pay any of their models, and never have since the calendar was started,  over twenty five years ago. The models pose for the great exposure. A few of the models do get traveling expenses, food and lodging.

I recruited some of the models for the calendar in 2004, and 2005. Some were former playboy models, but most were just pretty and in college.

There was never any profit in the 10,000 calendar sales. The calendars sponsors made up the loss difference.

Good Luck.

Apr 05 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Photos2amaze

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The tough thing likely will be $20 per calendar.  Its a competitive world in that line.  Someone gave me a 2006 Jenna Jameson calendar the other day, it was $12.95 retail on there.  Funny thing is, there was no nudity whatsoever and only a few thong shots. 

Having topless might help it sell, but it could hurt the sales.  Just a calculated business risk, good luck to you.

Apr 05 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

Robert ,

I am doing a project of some old early sports car sales catalogs in the form of a calendar for sale in Japan (www.sregistry.homeip.net/hsp.html), it ALSO includes a paid promo trip to Japan to support the release of the product .

As a former attorney I have labored over a multi page contract to develop a profit sharing layout that provides everyone with a fair share of pay. So I suggest you do the same to # 1 Protect your investment. # 2  Establish with detail everyone's responsibility.
# 3 Provide for a compensation plan if it all goes bust (broke as opposed to models bust).
Hire a local attorney is a must.

Finding models that are mature enough , able to make a commitment for later in the year (and not call me 6 months later saying oops I'm pregnant , need surgery, have a boyfriend who won't let me go etc...) has been the tough part !

Sometimes models loose site of the fact that in most cases no great skill is required, just do the best with the DNA your parents gave you, stay fit, be professional, return e-mail in a timely manor ect.....

Go forward with great care, if your product does not sell and it's to spicy, you will not even be able to sell it to a discount chain that retails calendars  for $ 0.75  each !

Have done several of these specialty types of products and spent many a night awake worrying about the outcome.

Best of luck with your project,

FA

Apr 05 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

I have shot 3 calendars this year... ( for '07 release ) and in avg the girls were getting paid $400 - $500 for the day for swim and implied. Now, they are not my calendars, I was just paid to shoot them.

Apr 05 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Also, I forgot to add...

Get sponsors.. it will help you like crazy ! Im sure you can charge $1500 per ad. Once you get 5 or even 10 will save u a lot of money and if you are a good salesman and sell enough ads, you can get the sponsors to pay for the whole calendar.

Apr 05 06 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

ive never seen calenders making a profit, generally they are give aways and the costs are made up by the sponser (i.e. rigid tools) and most calenders sell for less than $12 each

Apr 05 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Chili wrote:
ive never seen calenders making a profit, generally they are give aways and the costs are made up by the sponser (i.e. rigid tools) and most calenders sell for less than $12 each

How about giving the calendars away and selling advertizing space inside the calendar... hmmm.. I think i'm onto something. How about a local irish pub to advertize on the March 17th block, a local gift shop to advertize on Dec 25th, a lingerie store to advertize on Valentines day, pizza place on Superbowl Sunday, etc... Then have an extra 2-3 pages with coupons in between every 3-4 months...

A bit of advice. Don't be Mr. Moneybags when it comes to the models. You want to get your product for as little as possible.

Apr 05 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Robert James Imaging

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Many of you have great thought and your advice is amazing.  Although I am newer to the photography side of the industry as a photographer, I have been on the other side doing sales and marketing of print work for many years.  I run a printing company and although I do not do the calendar print in house I have several people who owe me favors and I can buy the paper at wholesale.  That is my advantage on cost.  I could legitimately after shoots have the product to market in 30-45 days printed so I can make an '07 deadline in October if I choose.

The ad space is a great idea and I will follow up on it with some contacts I have to see if they would like to contribute.

As for competing against Playboy, etc calendars I can't and won't.  I am going after niche markets.  I am not shooting a curling calendar but that got huge press during the Olympics because it was unique.  That is what I am going for.

So, what are you guys paying the models for this type of work?  Models, what would you expect for a shoot like this?

Apr 05 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

So, what are you guys paying the models for this type of work?  Models, what would you expect for a shoot like this?

Pay them as little as they will accept. I would start by offering $150-$200/shoot. Most of them will accept. Some won't accept, but don't let that fluster you. For every model that declines, 3 will accept your offer. Some models may counter-offer. Just negotiate from there. Since you are the one taking the risk, you should be the one to reap the rewards. Don't try to be Mr. Nice Guy and offer too much money.

Apr 05 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Robert James Imaging

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Why worry about $12 vs. $20 if people want the product they will pay for it.  I only need to sell 2500 to break even if my overall cost is $5 each.  The rest is gravy.

Apr 05 06 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Robert James Imaging

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

You're right about what people might accept and what they might not.  Before I even posted this, my buddies wife offered to pose for free...   ...funny.  I really just want to be fair.  If it takes off, we shoot in the caribbean next year for a week.  Because of the potential risk, I will be a bit conservative.  I was hoping more would post ideas so I could set up budget. 

I already have a marketing plan that is reasonable and I am going to pursue getting sponsors.  I probably could get a few places to comp the stay for mention in the piece and a few months could be shot exclusively in the studio to save on travel.

Apr 05 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

Calenders are among the most high risk publications. It is a huge gamble. Unlike, say, a coffee table book, you have about a 3 month window to sell all of them. By the second week of January, they're selling for pennies on the dollar in second hand stores or taking up space in your garage. Either way, anything left over at that point is pretty much worthless recycling fodder. Like toy sales at Christmas, there is no real way of knowing what calendars are going to be a hit and what calendars are going to bomb each year. If you are a very savvy marketer, and your calendar is a hit, you'll sell them all in a flash. If you bungle the marketing, or if your calendar is full of blonds and this year Asian girls are the hot item, your calendar will bomb. Either way, your pay for the models is barely relevant.

Certainly, just as you try to minimize all your other costs, it would be smart to try to minimize your costs for models. But in the end the modeling costs may be irrelevant. If you pay 12 models $250 each, and end up selling out all your calendars at full price, you'd be fine. Everyone makes good money and everyone is happy. On the other hand, if you pay 6 models (doubling up photos) $50 each, and your calendar flops and you have half a garage full of them next February, then you're still going to lose a ton of money.

Apr 06 06 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Robert James Imaging

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I am hesitent about the risk.  That is exactly why I am posting here.  I think that the niche market will pay.  I checked and the subject was Googled over 6million times last year.  Calendar for 2006 and Calendar 2006 was 22million combined.  I wish it was easy enough to ask for 10000 of those sales at $20 each but I know that is the risk.  Believe me I am worrying about the garage full of calendars.  The shoot wasn't that much fun if it costs me that much money.

Apr 06 06 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

I am hesitent about the risk.  That is exactly why I am posting here.  I think that the niche market will pay.  I checked and the subject was Googled over 6million times last year.  Calendar for 2006 and Calendar 2006 was 22million combined.  I wish it was easy enough to ask for 10000 of those sales at $20 each but I know that is the risk.  Believe me I am worrying about the garage full of calendars.  The shoot wasn't that much fun if it costs me that much money.

You might want to think about doing a 2008 calendar, not 2007. The spring break calendar is shot two years ahead of time.

This would give you more time to seek out sponsors, and the best models possible. Most calendars are finished and sold before July first, for the next year.  It is possible to shoot in March and have a finished calendar by June, but its hard.

The right sponsor, like a boat company, might buy enough calendars to pay all of the production and printing cost, and still leave you with several to sell. If a sponsor would do this, the printing deadline date could be as late as Nov 1.

Posters are less risky, and can be sold longer.

Ebay is a good place to see some great calendars. There are also some nice ones coming out of Russia

Apr 06 06 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Robert James Imaging

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Maybe '08 but I can get this thing done for '07.  Sponsors really aren't critical.  If you have a tangeable product it will be easier to sell next year.  I just found a source for people who subscribe to magazines.  So you can market the niche markets easier than I thought.  Still researching, opinions would be great.

Apr 06 06 09:11 am Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Yes, calendars are a very high risk, especially if you don't have advertisers helping to pay the bill. Up front, offer the models the smallest fee that will get them to show up plus a single profit sharing bonus in January. Base it on net profit up to that time. Safer for you than a big, up front payment, still fair to the models and simpler than recurring royalty payments.

Apr 06 06 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Maybe '08 but I can get this thing done for '07.  Sponsors really aren't critical.  If you have a tangeable product it will be easier to sell next year.  I just found a source for people who subscribe to magazines.  So you can market the niche markets easier than I thought.  Still researching, opinions would be great.

The largest seller of calendars in this country is "Calendar Club".

They set up in malls all over the USA in the fall and around Christmas.

One of the hot USA calendars is the "Dream Girls" calendar, published by StarWest.
It use to be the old Harley Davidson calendar, before the feminist movement got it stopped. 

Star West, the publisher, (Win Products), is the big importer of motorcycle parts in the USA. (Lots of their calendars are sold through motorcycle shops, and parts outlets, so they have a market.

Pamula Anderson, and my former model, Amanda Swisten, have been on this calendar.  Google Amanda's name, or do a search for her name on ebay.

If you can get models as good as Anderson, and produce a calendar as good as "Dream Girls", it might sell, but the safe bet is a deep pockets sponsor.

Your printing company could be the sponsor, and give the calendars away to show off their printing quality.

Good Luck.

Apr 06 06 09:40 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Okay, you asked "how much do I pay models for a calendar shoot?", right?  I did the 2005 Women of KU calendar and got very little actual money out of the deal.  There was a TON of promotional work that went along with being a month, so the $200 I got at the end of the year worked out to something like working for 10 cents/hr.  But, we also got free hair cut/color/style once a month for a year from a salon that sponsored the calendar, free tanning for a year from a tanning salon sponsor, free food from several restaurant sponsors, free clothing (with the calendar logo, of course), and so on.....  There are many ways to compensate people aside from money.  The exposure and experience and connections I got out of the whole thing is worth a lot more to me than the money and perks.  And, in case you haven't read the casting calls recently.....people will sign up for ANYTHING if there's even just a little bit of money involved.  Also, our calendar is profitable, but only because the people running it put very little out-of-pocket money into it...the sponsors take care of nearly all production costs.  Best of luck to you!

Apr 06 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Robert James Imaging

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Sounds like sponsors are the key and I have had a few offers (unsolicited) from models already on this project which I have appreciated.  Here's more research...   I really do listen and thought I would share my findings...  I think it was calendars.com asks for submissions by February (if you want that 08 is the only option at this point) and they retail for $10-14 and I am sure they get a decent cut.  That is all the info I got without submitting a calendar. 

I also found an internet source in the US that will produce 1000 at $3.75 ea glossy 12x12.  I am still waiting for a few of my friends to get back with me with quotes.  100# Text Gloss would be ideal (my UPS calendar is on 80# text) 

Keep posting feedback.  I sure appreciate it.

Apr 06 06 10:28 pm Link