Forums > General Industry > When Simple Polaroids are not Enough

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I read a comment on MM about the fact that if you've past the peak to be signed by an agency (usually past 21) then if you're still wanting to get signed bringing simple polaroids to their open calls may not be enough for you anymore.

Well I have great prints of me. A bunch of TFP's, local designer shoots  runways, hair shows. Nothing major but enough so that I can put my own portfolio togethor of some of my best work.

Should I put my book togethor on my own? I know that if and when I ever get signed they'll want me to get updated pics anyway but just to get my foot in the door I was thinking of putting some prints togethor. Has anyone done this before? How important is it for the pics to have a special glossy finish or whatnot? What are the technicalities I need to know before doing this?

Apr 05 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

From www.newmodels.com/application.html - How to apply to a modeling agency:

f.  Include the right kind of pictures.  Nobody wants to see pictures you happened to have lying around of your vacation, your prom, or snapshots taken of you and your friends at a bar.  Make it look like you at least tried to send something specifically tailored for this purpose.  If that means getting a disposable camera and taking a trip to the  drug store, do it.  At least it will look like you tried.

No matter how much they say it isn’t so, the best possible pictures to send are shots of you appearing in prestigious, paid modeling work of the kind the agency does.  Shots from Vogue or a national ad campaign beat snapshots every time.

But most of you won’t have those.  If you don’t, call and ask the agency what they prefer.  Some (mostly fashion agencies) will want only simple Polaroid-style snapshots.  Others (primarily commercial agencies) would prefer well-developed composite cards or similar professional pictures.  It all depends on the culture of the agency.  Still, paying lots of money for those professional pictures may not be a good investment.  It’s wise to try an inexpensive approach first.  Only after that hasn’t worked, and you are still determined to pursue modeling, should you make an investment in professional pictures.

If you do get pro shots done, make sure they are in the style the agency wants to see.  Unless the agency specializes in glamour, glamour-style shots are usually a bad idea.  If it’s an editorial fashion agency, lifestyle/commercial/â€?real peopleâ€? shots are a bad idea.  If it’s a commercial print agency, high fashion, editorial style shots are a bad idea.  Know who you are submitting to and what they want to see.  If they have a website, use it as a guide to what you need.

Apr 05 06 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Norton

New York, New York, US

AJ Bella wrote:
I read a comment on MM about the fact that if you've past the peak to be signed by an agency (usually past 21) then if you're still wanting to get signed bringing simple polaroids to their open calls may not be enough for you anymore.

The reasoning behind this is that agencies do sign older models if they have experience (usually they have been with another agent in another market)..

However, they want tear sheets...

Think about it this way, if a model starts at 16 and lasts till they are 21, they will have a heck of a portfolio built up, Advertisements, editorials etc.

You will be competing with those girls for jobs.

Best

Daniel

Apr 05 06 01:36 pm Link