Forums > General Industry > Agency Awareness..How am I to know whats right?

Model

kr is ko

Hey Everybody...
Just a question, and I need some feedback! I am very new to modeling, and I thought, on a whim, I would send an online application to this modeling/acting agency, known as Quickbook Agency Listings.(a worldwide Company) I read everything thoroughly before sending my pictures via email( I did have the option to snailmail them, just thought email would be the quickest way, since I'm a procrastinator!) A few days later, I received an email from the QuickBook Listings, saying that they have reviewed my application and they were putting me through to their second stage of approval where they take their four top agencies and let them review my photographs, if all four approve, then I would be accepted into their program.  They gave me statistical ratings, saying that 80% of the applicants never make it through the first stage of approval. Anyways, being me I was thrilled but I didn't get my hopes up. ( I mean it was my first-ever set of professional photographs that i sent!) They told me in the email that if I were accepted into their program that I would be sent confirmation via snailmail.
6 days after that I was sent a letter in the mail saying that all 4 agencies approved my photos, they think that I have what it takes to make it with the agencies they affiliate with. In the package I received they also noted that there was a fee that I needed to provide them with, of $33 per month for one year, or to pay their annual fee instead of monthly payments. THAT was what makes me skeptical..The purpose of this fee is so that they didn't put all their time and effort into a flake model who won't show up to meetings/interviews/shoots etc. By me putting my money into this every month it would make me more willing to show up b/c its out of my pocket, also it is put towards all my pictures being put into print. That would be the only thing I needed to pay for. Interviews/meetings etc would be covered by the QuickBook Listings... I guess what I am looking for is a bit of information from you guys so I know what I am getting into. If this is for real I don't want to miss my chance at something really promising...but on the other hand I don't want to be giving them money for something that isn't worthwhile... Has anybody heard of this company, if not, is this they way most places work? I couldn't find much when I searched them on the Better Business Bureau but I am thinking about calling tmm afternoon to look into it further. They aren't an actual agency, they have chosen model/actor portfolios available each day to thousands of agencies worldwide and they provide job opportunities for your area etc. I just need to know some feedback from the more experienced models/ and opinions! Thank you so much for your time everyone..I really appreciate it!

Apr 04 06 10:58 pm Link

Model

Belle OHara

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Here's a tip honey.  When the first post ou make on a topic doesn't get as quick a response as you want, don't copy/paste the same thing into another post under a different name.  All you'll end up doing is annoying people.  As for the agency thing, I am afraid I can't be of much help.  I prefer to freelance.

Apr 04 06 11:29 pm Link

Model

kr is ko

I couldn't view my post, I always copy my logs b/c my computer is crap, I wasn't trying to annoy anyone, and I used a different title b/c I couldn't remember my first one.. I just didn't think it ended up posting the first time. Thanks though.

Apr 04 06 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

"Quickbook Agency" is NOT a legitimate model or talent agency.  It is simply a modeling portfolio website that pretends to be an agency.

Quickbook Agency also goes by another name (which name escapes me at the moment).

Quickbook Agency is NOT licensed as a talent agency in the states that require special licenses (mainly CA, TX, FL), nor would they qualify to obtain a license in those states if they tried.

Best bet is to skip 'em.

Apr 06 06 09:22 pm Link