Forums > General Industry > how do you post your bust size?

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Hey everyone, this is something that I always thought is unclear...I hope this isn't an uncomfortable question for anyone out there!

Well, you know how in our female, models' pages, like all other modeling portfolios and even on compcards, you list the bust-waist-hips size right? This has never been confusing to me when I was modeling in Japan, as bust measurements in Asia consist of the bust-top/maximum measurement in cm, plus the cup size, for example "85D" or "80B". 

I noticed that bust measurements in US is actually a lot more complicated, and which measurement I am really supposed to post.  This is because US bra measurement is actually not just the largest part of your chest.  (I'm also curious how many ppl in the industry is actually aware of this, especially if you are not familiar with bust measurements yourself, i.e. male photographers)

For instance, my Stats.  On my "edit profile" page, there's a section to choose your bust size, then another section to choose the cup size.  But the cup size does not appear on my actual profile.  When I measure the widest part of my chest, I am about 34".  But, that does not mean that a wardrobe can prepare a 34" bra if I were to shoot lingerie or swimwear... in fact, my correct size is a 30D.  not a 34".  But as the cup size doesn't appear on profiles, if I put my bust size as a 30", it may be confused that my bust top measurement is actually only 30", and if I put 34", it may be confused that my bra measurement is a 34". 

Why is US measurements so confusing?  It's because someone that created these measurements decided that your brasize is determined by measuring below the bust, adding 5" if odd number and adding 4" if even, then subtracting that number from the bust top measurement and then you have your cup size.  (I have no idea how we ended up with this formula, but the following is one of the many references: http://www.victoriassecret.com/html/bra/measuring/)

So, female models out there, given that the cup size doesn't appear on your profile, which measurement are you posting as your bust size?  the bust-top/widest part of the chest, or the number straight off your bra size (i.e. 32 if you're a 32B)???  I'm trying to figure out what is the most accurate to put down. 

Jul 04 05 06:28 am Link

Photographer

Belair

Downers Grove, Illinois, US

I've been going braless for years.  Can't help you here.

Jul 04 05 06:31 am Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Honestly that shit confuses me too. I just put down what my bra says.

Jul 04 05 07:26 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Go to Victoria's Secret and have them measure you.

Post the results.

Jul 04 05 08:15 am Link

Model

Linda T

Lubbock, Texas, US

I put down what my bra says too

Jul 04 05 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Since the size is for wardrobe, that would make sense as long as your bra fits correctly. Don't ask me what correct is.

Here is some info on how to measure to find the correct bra size if you don't live close to a Victoria's Secret.

Jul 04 05 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Since the size is for wardrobe, that would make sense as long as your bra fits correctly. Don't ask me what correct is.

Maybe I should run a seminar?  I will show you all how to do it.

Jul 04 05 03:23 pm Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

go to lingerie boutique.. have a pro measure you..thats it.

Jul 04 05 03:28 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

easiest way to measure yourself, is to take a tape measure and place it at the largest part of your chest (usually right at your nipple area). Be sure to stand up straight, of course (since good posture helps give a more accurate measurement). While holding the tape measure at the end that has the 1in. marking on it, wrap the tape measure around your bust line until the tape measure touches the beginning point (1in. mark). Whatever the number that overlaps the 1in. mark is, that is what your bust size in inches is. Just add your cup size to the end of that number, and you have your measurement. For instance: if I measured 38 inches around my bust line, and my cup size is a C, then my bust measurement will be a 38C.

I hope this helps you out.

Jul 04 05 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Rebecca Alsbury: 
easiest way to measure, is to take a tape measure and place it at the largest part of your chest (usually right at your nipple area). Be sure to stand up straight, of course (since good posture helps give a more accurate measurement). While holding the tape measure at the end that has the 1in. marking on it, wrap the tape measure around your bust line until the tape measure touches the beginning point (1in. mark). Whatever the number that overlaps the 1in. mark is, that is what your bust size in inches is. Just add your cup size to the end of that number, and you have your measurement. For instance: if I measured 38 inches around my bust line, and my cup size is a C, then my bust measurement will be a 38C.

I hope this helps you out.

How did you measure the C...it just magically appeared in your answer.

I posted a link above that will calculate the correct cup size, and a couple of us have suggested having a measurement done in a lingerie store...

Jul 04 05 03:40 pm Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

xtreme..you make me laugh..youre great!!!!

Jul 04 05 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Larisa Burdeynaya: 
go to lingerie boutique.. have a pro measure you..thats it.

Foiled again. 

Jul 04 05 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I think you are great too, but for completely different reasons ;-)

Jul 04 05 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

If you want to make it real EASY. Go to a fabric store.

They have tape measures that have cup size on the tape measure as well as numbers.  Do the measurements flip it over and it tells your cups size.

Jul 04 05 03:44 pm Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Luv ya!!!!! lollllllllllllllllllllllllll

Jul 04 05 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by latex-fashions: 
If you want to make it real EASY. Go to a fabric store.

They have tape measures that have cup size on the tape measure as well as numbers.  Do the measurements flip it over and it tells your cups size.

Just curious: Wouldn't it be easier to use the link I posted? Or is there something wrong with the algorithm they are using?

Jul 04 05 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Luv ya!!!!! lollllllllllllllllllllllllll

Stop it before you put me into a good mood!

Jul 04 05 03:48 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Actually, this is how you determine US cup size, I'll use me as an example:
measure right beneath the breasts: I'm 29" add 5 inches to that and you have your band size- mine is 34
NOW
measure across the fullest part of your breasts: I'm 39"
subtract the band size and get the difference 39-34= 5"
and cup sizes are figured like this:
1" over-A cup
2" over-B cup
3" over- C cup
4" over- D cup
5" over- DD cup
and so on
So that makes me a 34DD American bra!

Jul 04 05 03:49 pm Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Sorry..
Luv ya!! lolllllll btw..im 34d

Jul 04 05 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by io: 
measure right beneath the breasts: I'm 29" add 5 inches to that and you have your band size- mine is 34
NOW
1" over-A cup
2" over-B cup
3" over- C cup
4" over- D cup
5" over- DD cup
and so on

It seems that if you measure around the torso just under the arms and above the breasts, you can skip the magic add 5" step to calculate band size.

Jul 04 05 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by io: 
NOW
1" over-A cup
2" over-B cup
3" over- C cup
4" over- D cup
5" over- DD cup
and so on

I am a 34 DD American boob.

Jul 04 05 03:54 pm Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

mark ur very silly

Jul 04 05 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Sorry..
Luv ya!! lolllllll btw..im 34d

Jul 04 05 03:57 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

LOL, uh, everyone, I guess my original post was too long so you didn't bother to check out the llink to victoriassecret...or maybe I couldn't hyperlink it and that's why... but yes I already had myself measured by a pro in a lingerie  boutique.

Anyways, my question I guess is pretty much answered by the ladies here... I'm a 30D, and I just wanted to make sure that when the ardrobe is selecting clothes or swimsuit that the cup size DOESN'T matter, they won't just get me a -2 dress size!  30D means my bust top is 34" circumference, it just means my under-bust measurement is really tiny.

But I guess I'm gonna go with the rest of the models and post "30" straight off the 30D!

Jul 04 05 06:01 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by luvbrace: 
So, female models out there, given that the cup size doesn't appear on your profile, which measurement are you posting as your bust size?  the bust-top/widest part of the chest, or the number straight off your bra size (i.e. 32 if you're a 32B)???  I'm trying to figure out what is the most accurate to put down.   

I use my bra size. I believe that's what wouold be expected. However, my band size is the same as the measurement around the fullest part of my chest.

Jul 05 05 12:50 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I've always just used my bra size.

Jul 05 05 02:04 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

true... yea, I'm gonna stick with my bra size now.  Funny I just got a comment from a male photographer in virginia that claims that I'm a 34A... I guess he's somehow managed to measure my chest/cupsize.  I suppose "D" is a shocking letter for men, although 30D really isn't a jumangi boob whatsoever, because the base is so small. Wish I was a 34 because that will sure make bra shopping easier for me! 

Jul 05 05 03:15 am Link

Photographer

- null -

I will help all the ladies by having ruler-marks tattooed to my tongue. Then, it's just a simple matter of precision licking.

Jul 05 05 03:19 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 
I will help all the ladies by having ruler-marks tattooed to my tongue. Then, it's just a simple matter of precision licking.

eeeew! gahahahaha....

Jul 05 05 03:25 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

okay, just a tip for female models for correct fitting....they say most of us wear a wrong size until correctly fitted by an experct at a lingerie boutique... I used to wear a wrong size myself (too loose)
Here we go:

http://www.mynippon.com/women/measure-bra-size.htm

Jul 05 05 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

I just check the Police Reports it says right there..
But if you have alotta Busts,it could vary drasticly
My first bust was 50 pounds my last was 2 ounces..

Looks like my Busts are getting Smaller!! Bummer i hate small Busts..

(:---

Jul 05 05 04:11 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by luvbrace: 

eeeew! gahahahaha....

Don't worry, I'm cute and I smell good.

Jul 05 05 04:13 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 
I just check the Police Reports it says right there..
But if you have alotta Busts,it could vary drasticly
My first bust was 50 pounds my last was 2 ounces..

Looks like my Busts are getting Smaller!! Bummer i hate small Busts..

(:---

LOL

Jul 05 05 04:25 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Posted by luvbrace: 

eeeew! gahahahaha....

Don't worry, I'm cute and I smell good.

You guys are killing me... LOL

Jul 05 05 04:26 am Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Posted by luvbrace: 
okay, just a tip for female models for correct fitting....they say most of us wear a wrong size until correctly fitted by an experct at a lingerie boutique... I used to wear a wrong size myself (too loose)
Here we go:

I just did my measurements and appearently I wear bras that are too small for me. Wierd.

Jul 05 05 08:18 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by luvbrace: 
Here we go:

That site doesn't even tell you the difference between what and what. So according to them, I'm either a 34A or 34D. In most bras, I actually wear a 32 or 34B.

Jul 05 05 09:04 am Link

Jul 05 05 09:49 am Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Your band size = your chest size.

So I wear a 34 C bra (and yes, I've been professionally fitted), so I put 34.

Most model sites have the feature of cup size also, so you would select A, B, C, D, etc.

Jul 05 05 11:32 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Posted by theda: 

Posted by luvbrace: 
Here we go:

That site doesn't even tell you the difference between what and what. So according to them, I'm either a 34A or 34D. In most bras, I actually wear a 32 or 34B.

What do you mean?  it clearly says to ad 4 or 5" on the under-bust measurement and then compare it to the bust-top measurement, and there's a chart below for figuring out the cup size according to that. 

I'm not sure how your results became 34A or 34D as that's a pretty big difference, though... try the other link that XtremeArtists posted, my results were the same, 30D.

Jul 05 05 02:01 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I could, though get a 32B bra at Victorias Secret if the wire shape fits and crop the band size into a 30!  I did notice that depending on the style of the bra, like strapless or balconett, I could go anywhere from a 30C-D.  But nothing fits better than bras at my favorite boutique!  la Peche in Torrance CA... I don't shop bras anywhere else anymore.  If you're petite like myself, you should definitely check out that place.

Jul 05 05 02:08 pm Link