Model

Akaii

Manassas, Virginia, US

Ok... I have been quite frustrated about this  for a bit now...
Why is it that better known models-most of the time- are so reluctant and even bitter towards models asking for advice or info???

Im not talking about "Hey! Help me get good gigs!"
But more along the lines of "How do i go about ____"  Or "What/How would you recommend for switching genres of modeling?"

Im not trying to take your work or photographers! Im just trying to get some advice! That is mainly the only reason i am on this site.

My personal problem:  I do fetish/alt ART modeling. I am pretty well known for what i do. I have been doing it for long enough. I have a lot of great connections in this genre, etc.
  I want to BROADEN my horizens and expand into another  genre of modeling. I want to spread my work into the commercial side of alt/fetish modeling (as well as still keep up the art side too). Ive been to meet-ups, group shoots, and cons and have tried making these new connections on this field...But everyone ive talked to wants to just shoot art fetish/alt with me and not more on the commercial side (even though most of the time thats what they are known for).
  How do i make this transition? What is the best way?
Any help???

Apr 04 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Celestial Sinn wrote:
Any help???

Sorry, I am not going to help.  Not from "insecurity" but from the fact that I don't understand the question.  (Truth be told, I don't understand the "alt/fetish" culture at all - which is why I can't help.)

But while we are on the topic, perhaps you could help me (and maybe others).  When you say, "commercial side of alt/fetish modeling" what does that mean?

I think of "commercial" modeling as, for instance, when a client has a product to sell and hires a model to help illustrate the concept he is promoting for his product.  Are you referring to "alt/fetish-related" products, and clients who are trying to sell them?  Or to something else?

Apr 04 06 01:26 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Celestial Sinn wrote:
Any help???

Pay a photographer.
Most good commercial shooter charge to take those images.
Rarely do they do then for free.

Maybe start with a name change.
but you are 5'0" so the ability to gain much work in the commercial arena will be small and this is also likely one of the reasons why these photographers are not choosing to shoot commercial style shoots with you.

Your profile reflects the shoots that you have been doing.
You might pick another site to show only commercial work under a different name.
(not allowed to have two models ports here)

If I were going to show a book for commercial work then I would not put my art work in the same book or even in the same site.

Trying to get two styles of shoots from one photographer on one day can be hard. 
You might do what you do and charge for it and then hire commercial photographers for that type of book leaving behind your other work.   Not even sure if they should know about it.

But with all this remember that you are 5'0" and even in commercial modeling that is going to be hard for you.

Apr 04 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Celestial Sinn wrote:
Why is it that better known models-most of the time- are so reluctant and even bitter towards models asking for advice or info???

Im not talking about "Hey! Help me get good gigs!"
But more along the lines of "How do i go about ____"  Or "What/How would you recommend for switching genres of modeling?"

Im not trying to take your work or photographers! Im just trying to get some advice! That is mainly the only reason i am on this site.

My personal problem:  I do fetish/alt ART modeling. I am pretty well known for what i do. I have been doing it for long enough. I have a lot of great connections in this genre, etc.
  I want to BROADEN my horizens and expand into another  genre of modeling. I want to spread my work into the commercial side of alt/fetish modeling (as well as still keep up the art side too). Ive been to meet-ups, group shoots, and cons and have tried making these new connections on this field...But everyone ive talked to wants to just shoot art fetish/alt with me and not more on the commercial side (even though most of the time thats what they are known for).
Any help???

I think you should stay in the field you are working in. (Fetish and fine art). Your size will stop you from getting a lot of commercial work, and this is something you can not change.

Post your rates on your bio page, and maybe hook up with a photographer to offer some fetish workshops. Your willingness to do bondage is also a plus.  You have a lot of comments, so you have a following. Stop all TFP shoots and get paid. Keep your rates as low as you can, and get a lot more work.

I wish you lived in Knoxville. I only use local models that I can work with several times on short notice.

Apr 04 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

Celestial Sinn wrote:

I think the models who are reluctant to help or bitter towards you are just very beautiful (physically). They've been coddled and led to believe that they're special and your questions just really confuse them because they'd have to actually think, which would give them sharp pains in the forehead.  Also, they'd have to face the fact that they don't really know how they got where they got.. other than the fact that they embody an ideal of physical beauty!
Now, before anyone rants on me because they think I'm insinuating that models are dumb or nothing more than pretty faces... remember, I said "the reluctant and bitter models"... not all models.

Apr 04 06 05:22 pm Link

Model

Akaii

Manassas, Virginia, US

Ok... i guess i should clear this up
Commercial - product based work
"Alt" Commercial - usually products for the alt community.

-I KNOW size matters in mainstream commercial
-I KNOW it doesnt matter as much in alt...hence the reason i would rather do it there. ive seen many alt models who are around my size
-Ive asked about paying for a shoot for products/commercial work.. but they would rather shoot me (either TFP or Pay for me) and do the art side. Plus, i dont know many models in the alt comm. industry that PAY for that... most Magazines usually hire them. *shrug*
-Good idea: I probably should put together two books
-I HATE my alias..but because so many people know me by it i find it hard to change.
- Marvin - yea.. but i DO do a lot of traveling ^_^
- And NO i usually dont do TFP/CD/Free shoots...hardly ever
-IAN- i think it is because they are afraid i may infringe on their territory??

Apr 04 06 05:35 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Commercial alt work is rare to the point of being fictional.  There are a few companies in LA that hire "real alt" types, but mostly companies go to agencies and get real commercial models and real stylists and go from there.

Apr 04 06 05:48 pm Link

Model

Akaii

Manassas, Virginia, US

theda wrote:
Commercial alt work is rare to the point of being fictional.  There are a few companies in LA that hire "real alt" types, but mostly conpmanies go to agencies and get real commercial models and real stylists and go from there.

good point...
Although looking at Tripp, Skin Two and other companies like that... i dont think those are agency models...
some of them are only 5'3"

Apr 04 06 05:50 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Celestial Sinn wrote:
good point...
Although looking at Tripp, Skin Two and other companies like that... i dont think those are agency models...
some of them are only 5'3"

Does Tripp use models? I think they still only do wholesale and probably just dress up their friends when they need a model.  It's only fairly recently that Lip Service started hiring models instead of just having their friends pose and they're the biggest company of that genre, if that tells you anything about the market.  Larger fetish wear companies hire models, but they like to use "known" faces a lot.

Apr 04 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thanks for the explanation.

I have seen a few instances of companies hiring mainstream commercial models and "alting" them, or of coming to commercial agencies asking for alt types, and the agency has to scurry around to find some.  Most agencies don't keep any on the shelf smile

Theda obviously knows more about this than I do . . . .

Apr 04 06 07:34 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

One of the major agencies in NY used to have a segment for that type but the same thing happens as with petite divisions.   Not enough work for the work involved so they drop the idea.

Apr 04 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

theda wrote:
Commercial alt work is rare to the point of being fictional.  There are a few companies in LA that hire "real alt" types, but mostly companies go to agencies and get real commercial models and real stylists and go from there.

Alterna Model and Talent Management, P.O. Box 1827, New York, N.Y. 10009   917-856-8321

If they're still around. I booked some of their people a couple of times, and they were pretty cool.

Apr 05 06 02:03 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Hoot wrote:

Alterna Model and Talent Management, P.O. Box 1827, New York, N.Y. 10009   917-856-8321

If they're still around. I booked some of their people a couple of times, and they were pretty cool.

Hm. A cell number? Maybe I'll give it a call and see if they are still around.  I know there are/were a couple of agencies that focused on character types, which included punk/goth types.

Apr 05 06 02:28 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=37910
Advice from perhaps THE most successful alt model out there. This is not 'fashion' or commercial for her, it is her life. She has a grueling international schedule of events she goes to. She worked 7 years before she made all her money modeling, and only in the last three has she been able to do it full time. This is advice you should read...

Apr 05 06 02:35 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

This is what I thought of when I saw the title. Lyrics of Out to Get you by James

I'm so alone tonight
My bed feels larger than when I was small
Lost in memories
Lost in all the sheets and old pillows
So alone tonight
Miss you more than I will let you know
Miss the outline of your back
Miss you breathing down my neck
They're all out to get you
Once again they are all out to get you
Once again
Insecure, what you gonna do
Feel so small they could step on you
Called you up, answering machine
When the human touch
Is what is need

What I need (X4)
Is you
I need you
Looked in the mirror, I don't know who I am anymore
The face is familiar
But the eyes, the eyes give it all away
Once again they're all out to get you
Here they come again (X8)
Insecure what you gonna do
Feel so small they could step on you
Called you up, answering machine
When the human touch
Is what I need

What I need (X8)
Is you (X6)
If you let me breathe (X5)
Once again
To get you
Once again

Apr 05 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

theda wrote:

Hm. A cell number? Maybe I'll give it a call and see if they are still around.  I know there are/were a couple of agencies that focused on character types, which included punk/goth types.

If that number doesn't work, send me an email and I'll try to get one that does. They had mostly punk/goth/leather/tats/pierced kind of folk when I worked with them, but a couple of art/glam types too.

Apr 05 06 02:40 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I don't think you're having a hard time getting advice because other models here are "jealous" or whatever.  I it's because people do not understand what you are trying to ask.

Hell, _I'm_ not even sure I know what you mean by the "commercial side of alt/fetish modeling".

If you mean catalog shoots for alt. clothing websites, well, I usually get that stuff by making friends with designers and then modelling their stuff for free.  Usually, it's ME working mostly on my own to bring the designer together with a photographer and makeup artist for a shoot.  Depending on the egos involved (who is willing to let who else in the team use what for what purpose(s)) ... that can be a lot of work on its own! :p

If you're talking about magazines (Gothic Beauty, SkinTwo, etc), almost NO ONE I know who gets their photos published in them gets paid.  (Right now, I think the running tab I've compiled in my head is TWO photographers.  TWO.)  The mags think you should be willing to donate content simply for the EXPOSURE.  For me, sure, it's enough.  Must be for a lot of people, too, because it's been a long, long time since I've heard of any of those magazines actually going out of their way to hire people to create content for them-- I'm sure they all must get tons of free submissions every day.

What theda said.

There's not a whole lot of money to be made as a model in this scene unless you're mostly into bondage or other, more "adult" work. 

(And if you are, Kumi's fetish modelling post is definitely something to read.  Someone else linked it farther up in this thread.)

Apr 05 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just read that link that was posted.  It's a stunningly good account of fetish modeling.  Thanks for posting it.

Apr 05 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Celestial Sinn wrote:
Any help???

Come shoot with me darlin!!!

Apr 05 06 04:02 pm Link

Model

Akaii

Manassas, Virginia, US

thanks for the help everyone
i guess i was pretty vague?
and talking to others you are right. . . they get the submissions free except in afew cases.
btw- as ive stated before.. im not looking to make money im doing this for fun...

BTW, i HAVE read Kumis forum post (i actually posted too) and i even personally wrote her to ask where to begin... Never got a response...except for "i should post this in my forum"

Thank you all again.

Apr 06 06 02:51 am Link