Forums > General Industry > Hardcore Nature sites?

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Would love to find some nature photo forums wherethey don't sit around showing picture of birds in trees shot from a tripod thru their livingroom window or sit around wondering if THIS P/S will take better pictures of the flowers in thier gardens v.s. THIS P/S.

I want hardcore, hard gear photography and images-the stuff I do- minus 20 with a wondchill of minus 60 or desert heat where the shade temp is 120+.

A place that discusses what gear will survive a body ride down the rapids in Salt River of Arizona to what caliber handgun they carry in case of bears.

Anyone know of one?

Apr 04 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

NiCeInMiAmI

Miami, Arizona, US

Try photo.net

Apr 04 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

WhiteBears Visions wrote:
Would love to find some nature photo forums wherethey don't sit around showing picture of birds in trees shot from a tripod thru their livingroom window or sit around wondering if THIS P/S will take better pictures of the flowers in thier gardens v.s. THIS P/S.

I want hardcore, hard gear photography and images-the stuff I do- minus 20 with a wondchill of minus 60 or desert heat where the shade temp is 120+.

A place that discusses what gear will survive a body ride down the rapids in Salt River of Arizona to what caliber handgun they carry in case of bears.

Anyone know of one?

Sounds like you have a vision, make your own site.

Apr 04 06 12:48 pm Link

Model

Debbie

Oldsmar, Florida, US

Search flickr.com

Apr 04 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Anyone know of one?

Given that there are probably only four people on the planet that make it a practice of surviving those temperatures extremes for fun ... best of luck!!!

Apr 04 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I used to shoot a lot of outdoors, the coldest ever was when we stayed on Mt. Washington in winter for a week and tried to summit several times. Lowest windchill according to my Brunton was 72' below, but the official number by the weather station recorded 80' below freezing.

I took some shots on the Lionshead ridge and after about 5 shots or so, the lense/AF froze and the batteries were zapped within the same time.

In extreme cold, hold your camera always inside your parka so that the body temperature keeps the batteries intact.

For arctic expeditions, I remember that some photographers used to replace the lubricants in their motors and lenses.

Apr 04 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

ebarb

Rochester, New York, US

Windchill is for whiners.....what was the real temperature wink

Coldest I've ever been in Lake Placid a few years ago...the "official temperature" in town was -42F.  We were camped about 2000 ft higher....one thermometer read -53f.....given that the wind speed on Whiteface was 40-60 people were giving windchills in the -80 to -100 range....my camera simply would not work wink

Apr 04 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Joe Kozlowski wrote:

Given that there are probably only four people on the planet that make it a practice of surviving those temperatures extremes for fun ... best of luck!!!

I am one of them... who are the other three?... big_smile

Joking, there are quite a few who love the extreme weather... I love the extreme cold, but can't handle extreme heat.

https://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_11696165/.HomePage/__sr_/3840.jpg?grvgANEBT3lSN.cp

Apr 04 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

northern clicker

Anchorage, Alaska, US

-20 with a wind chill of -60??  Here in AK we call that  "Going to work on a Tuesday in January."  ;-)

try Jim Zuckerman's site-- dunno why but it's called  www.corporatefineart.com     I particularly like his port called  'white.'  Also rue.com, Leonard Lee Rue III is the most kick-ass hardy old guy photographer there ever has been... excepting maybe my neighbor Martin, who runs rings around me at 81...   BTW a google of "Photography Alaska" turned up a bunch.

Apr 04 06 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

csf

Camarillo, California, US

Try naturephotographers network.  Great bunch of people with superb images.  Many working pros and advanced amatuers participating.

Apr 04 06 01:22 pm Link