Forums > General Industry > I'm not what we're looking 4..but I could be!

Model

na52

It gets on my nerves when companies/casting/etc.. says they want a certain look (which only requires a change of hair/make-up/clothes) but if you don't have that look in your portfolio..you're not what they're looking for..lol A model..or at least a GOOD model sould at least be a little bit of an actress.. the job of a model/actress is to transform into whatever you're needed to..so how is this an issue? And how can anyone have diversity in their portfolio if you can only get jobs/pictures of the same stuff you already have?

Apr 02 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i've heard these crazy stories of models that have actually hired a photographer to give them the difffernet looks they need to market themselves....

Apr 02 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

MirrorImage Photography

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, US

HMMM YUP!  Something to ponder.. huh models

Apr 02 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
i've heard these crazy stories of models that have actually hired a photographer to give them the difffernet looks they need to market themselves....

I too have heard that crazy story... I even had one model ask me if she could bring several different types of outfits, and maybe even a couple of different wigs to a shoot, so she could get different looks.. hmm.. that was a crazy question....

Apr 02 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Tiara, I can help. If you are interested in diversifying your portfolio and have money, please contact me for my rates including travel. If you aren't in a position to pay you can browse your area for TFP/TFCD photographers who can provide you with their (FREE)services. I hope this helps. smile

Apr 02 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

There are things that YOU can change and there are things you cant.  I've told models that very same thing when they show up on a go see and they are 5'4", and the shoot is a fashion spread.  Everyone knws for fashion and runway the standard is 5'8" and above.  very rarely... VERY RARELY are there exceptions.  If that be the case I'd say "Sorry, you not the look we're going for."

Apr 02 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

This is a common thing in many professions and aspects of life.

We all are hired by someone.

So we all have someone to answer to in the end whether that be a company or someone buying our prints.

If someone takes a chance on someone new and it fails then questions will be asked.
It is what makes it hard to move forward.

And as stated there is often logic behind this barrier to excepting all.

If it were easy then everyone would be doing it and noone would get paid.
Wow, what a concept.

Apr 02 06 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

retphoto

Sunbury, Pennsylvania, US

Tiara LeAnne wrote:
It gets on my nerves when companies/casting/etc.. says they want a certain look (which only requires a change of hair/make-up/clothes) but if you don't have that look in your portfolio..you're not what they're looking for..lol A model..or at least a GOOD model sould at least be a little bit of an actress.. the job of a model/actress is to transform into whatever you're needed to..so how is this an issue? And how can anyone have diversity in their portfolio if you can only get jobs/pictures of the same stuff you already have?

you may think it's ONLY a matter of a change of hair, make-up and Clothes...but it's NOT...it's the Entire package....

If I say I'm looking for some one with that Irish Look...and say someone like Maureen OHara...that's what I want!  Now I may not get a redhead to fit the bill, but your typical blond is NOT going to fit the bill, wigs or dyes won't help. It's Bodyshape, skin complection, and hair.....

And I'm sure that it's the same way with many many art directors...they have a Picture in their mind of what they want.....and that's it....

Sure I know I can take the first person who walks in the door, and make it work with them, but that's not what I want...

Apr 02 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

AndrewG wrote:

I too have heard that crazy story... I even had one model ask me if she could bring several different types of outfits, and maybe even a couple of different wigs to a shoot, so she could get different looks.. hmm.. that was a crazy question....

I've heard this story as well, in some versions the model actually pays the photographer for the work and afterward has a great port that results in the model getting many paying gigs.

Apr 02 06 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

MartinCoatesIV wrote:

I've heard this story as well, in some versions the model actually pays the photographer for the work and afterward has a great port that results in the model getting many paying gigs.

I've even heard that sometimes neither the photograper nor the model pays, but somehow they both come away from the shoot with images they both can use.

I think there is room for many scenarios.

Apr 02 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Craig Seay Artistry wrote:
Tiara, I can help. If you are interested in diversifying your portfolio and have money, please contact me for my rates including travel. If you aren't in a position to pay you can browse your area for TFP/TFCD photographers who can provide you with their (FREE)services. I hope this helps. smile

Oh the arrogance! diva photographer!

You want paying clients?

Apr 02 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

Oh the arrogance! diva photographer!

You want paying clients?

It was a joke son, a joke smile I think Doug's was funnier though. And hey, who doesn't want paying clients? Was that an insult??? I like your work too. smile

Apr 02 06 08:57 pm Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Lol... Exactly!  All it takes is hair dye, different photographers, and different wardrobe... I used to have pictures of myself as a red head, brunette, black hair, long hair, short, etc...

Apr 02 06 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Craig Seay Artistry wrote:

It was a joke son, a joke smile I think Doug's was funnier though. And hey, who doesn't want paying clients? Was that an insult??? I like your work too. smile

You missed my joke. I am entirely on your side. I was being sarcastic.

Apr 02 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

You missed my joke. I am entirely on your side. I was being sarcastic.

I did miss it didn't I~? Thanks for clearing that up for me. I seriously do like your work~!! Friend request on the way smile

Apr 02 06 09:19 pm Link