Forums > General Industry > how desperate can you be?

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Ok,  I am browsing around MM today, haven't really looked at portfolios until now and I am SHOCKED!!!

Whats with the fake tear sheets?  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not expect us to believe you did a major  ad campaign with a mock ad.  Number one dead give-away that its a fake....

YOU'RE USING CRAPPY GLAMOUR MODELS!  Please don't think these models fool the pros, there is a reason major models are more in a day then 6 months rent on your home/apt whatever. Do you really think you can pull off the look of an ad campaign with a B model? 

Your photoshop sucks.  Major ad campaigns pay about $400,00 to $1000.  for photoshop on one ad.  and guess what?  they know how to use more then the blur tool.

Your lighting sucks.  No explanation needed.

Your makeup artist and hair stylist are clueless.  Major ads use great artists, you can't skimp  here.   PLEASE WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO KID??? 

I am embarrassed for all of you that are trying to pull this stupidity off. You know who you are, if you're instantly hating me you may be guilty.

One more thing.....It's illegal to use a company logo or name on a mock ad.  They will sue you should they ever find it.  When a company spends a million dollars on an ad campaign they like it to look good and they like their name on ads that look good ONLY, your TFP doesn't quality.

Jul 03 05 10:32 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I agree completely.   

I'd like to see the ones you've found... here's one I found:  MM 6118 .

Jul 03 05 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Mary: 
PLEASE WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO KID???

Just look at all the Models that reply to these guys!!

"Oh Please Please Take me"

If the Models are that dumb to flock to these guys..

Its like survivial of the fititist...

One way to weed out the weak and sickly!!

Jul 03 05 10:40 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!

Posted by Mary: 
Ok,  I am browsing around MM today, haven't really looked at portfolios until now and I am SHOCKED!!!

Whats with the fake tear sheets?  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not expect us to believe you did a major makeup ad, a major designer handbag ad etc.  Number one dead give-away that its a fake....

YOU'RE USING CRAPPY GLAMOUR MODELS!  Please don't think these models fool the pros, there is a reason major models are more in a day then 6 months rent on your home/apt whatever. Do you really think you can pull off the look of an ad campaign with a B model? 

Your photoshop sucks.  Major ad campaigns pay about $400,00 to $1000.  for photoshop on one ad.  and guess what?  they know how to use more then the blur tool.

Your makeup artist and hair stylist are clueless.  Major ads use great artists, you can't skimp  here.  If you're putting together a fake tear of a cosmetics ad you better have a good artist.  PLEASE WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO KID??? 

I am embarrassed for all of you that are trying to pull this stupidity off. You know who you are, if you're instantly hating me you may be guilty.

One more thing.....It's illegal to use a company logo or name on a mock ad.  They will sue you should they ever find it.  When a company spends a million dollars on an ad campaign they like it to look good and they like their name on ads that look good ONLY, your TFP doesn't quality.

Jul 03 05 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Mary,

I agree with you 100%. I too dislike the (overused) "diffuse glow" and "gaussian blur" skin look, but I never really rant about it. As far as I'm concerned it separates the good photogs. from the bad, and it makes it that much easier for models and clients to discern smile

-TMH

P.S. take a look at Mary's portfolio people-it's ALL tearsheets, she is a pro and is not making this up.

Jul 03 05 10:43 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 

Posted by Mary: 
PLEASE WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO KID???

Just look at all the Models that reply to these guys!!

"Oh Please Please Take me"

If the Models are that dumb to flock to these guys..

Its like survivial of the fititist...

One way to weed out the weak and sickly!!

I agree,  I am looking at the comments on the ads...

GREAT WORK!
GREAT AD!
YOU ARE A TRUE PRO!

and then I look at the person commenting, some poor idiot that would like to be in the next mock ad.  Dumb meets dumber, lets get them all off the streets smile

Jul 03 05 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by ChristianBehr: 
I agree completely.   

Thats it just lead all the Sheep to the Wolves!!

Jul 03 05 10:46 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 

Posted by ChristianBehr: 
I agree completely.   

I'd rather they be exposed.  It's more like giving the sheep "night vision" goggles.

Jul 03 05 10:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 

Posted by ChristianBehr: 
I agree completely.   

I don't want to embarrass anyone in particular but I did see one major ad that I know for a fact to be fake because its just SOOOOOOOOO  Bad sad   I also keep up with the ad campaigns on this brand and I know the photographers (not personally but I know who shoots these ads)  I know the artists that do the makeup and I just know that none of them would put an ad out like this.  This particular brand uses artists from Celestine and Cloutier normally, the photographers are not big names but they are known in the cosmetic industry for their beauty and lighting.

Jul 03 05 10:52 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by ChristianBehr: 
I'd rather they be exposed.  It's more like giving the sheep "night vision" goggles.

Some of us have been bitching about those fake ads for a while....

Jul 03 05 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Hello!!
Thats the Problem in the first place !!
They cant see thru thier goggles anyway....!

(:----

Morning Herb!!

Jul 03 05 10:53 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Perhaps you're right.... I'd just rather the models / photographers know that fake tears will subject them to being downgraded and ignored by those that can get them actual tears.

I guess " to each his own."  It's also funny to see the fakes.  If somebody wants to... just email me the number, I'll post them.

Jul 03 05 10:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I stumbled on a few ads by following a post on this forum to a portfolio so I am pretty sure the person will see this, maybe it will dissapear soon, I doubt it, its already got great feedback. 

I think they should be outed, I just dont want to be the one to do it.  I am on enough hit lists as it is. I'm frankly lucky to be alive.  If the internet creative crowd had more money I'd be 6 ft under already, I just count on my enemies being poor or cheap...  LOL!

Jul 03 05 10:59 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Just as bad are the guys that display photos on TOTALLY FAKE magazines, and the models that plea that they can be featured on the next cover!

There's a TON of those guys out there too!

Jul 03 05 11:00 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I do not have any tear sheets with major brands featuring models, but I do have tear sheets of product photography and graphic design.

It seems to me the value of a legit tear sheet is lessened if all the fakers are allowed to show made up tear sheets...

Jul 03 05 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Mary: 
I stumbled on a few ads by following a post on this forum to a portfolio so I am pretty sure the person will see this, maybe it will dissapear soon, I doubt it, its already got great feedback. 

I think they should be outed, I just dont want to be the one to do it.  I am on enough hit lists as it is. I'm frankly lucky to be alive.  If the internet creative crowd had more money I'd be 6 ft under already, I just count on my enemies being poor or cheap...  LOL!

I can only hope to one day be in that "internet creative crowd"... smile

Jul 03 05 11:08 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by ChristianBehr:  I'd rather they be exposed.  It's more like giving the sheep "night vision" goggles.

..ok much like when the "chicken dance" gets stuck in my head..i am picturing sheep with night vision goggles..
how the hell i am i going to get to sleep now?

Jul 03 05 11:08 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!

By the way, this is the origin of "Hear hear!"

Morning Hugh!

Jul 03 05 11:12 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

ok, hint

deleted hint

Sorry, I'm picturing a horse head in my bed now

Jul 03 05 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Fake tears,  wow what a great idea for my doggy agency. 

Jul 03 05 12:39 pm Link

Model

Sarah Marie Hilker

Los Angeles, California, US

It is kind of annoying especially, if they are really amateur.

Jul 03 05 02:07 pm Link

Model

Just Cat

Santa Barbara, California, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by ChristianBehr:  I'd rather they be exposed.  It's more like giving the sheep "night vision" goggles.

..ok much like when the "chicken dance" gets stuck in my head..i am picturing sheep with night vision goggles..
how the hell i am i going to get to sleep now?

If it is any consolation, you have now planted the "chicken dance" firmly into MY head.

Jul 03 05 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Star

I like diffuse glow on a B&W. I than fade diffuse glow and make it soft light. It makes the image look like an infrared B&W,
Just for fun I took five minutes and did it, here you go
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … 8dcae4e01e
Not perfect, probably not a shot I will keep, but I used g.blur and diffuse glow. Actually I kind hate her chin in it, I liked the colors b-horror movie feel...

Star

Jul 04 05 01:51 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Jul 04 05 02:02 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Mary: 

Whats with the fake tear sheets?  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not expect us to believe you did a major makeup ad, a major designer handbag ad etc.  Number one dead give-away that its a fake....

Your makeup artist and hair stylist are clueless.  Major ads use great artists, you can't skimp  here.  If you're putting together a fake tear of a cosmetics ad you better have a good artist.  PLEASE WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO KID??? 

LMAO! Thanks for posting this Mary. I'm gonna bite my tongue and refrain from asking you to e-mail me the url of the BS jobbies.

Regarding your text in bold, I know about that first-hand when I did an Ad mock up of a set of headphones. I got in contact with their Executive cheefy-weefy of Brand management and she gave me advise. Great advise. And, basically, make it a spoof, don't use their brand name, or they'll sick Guido on ya. Lol.  Luv those people for even talking with me. She liked my imagery and appreciated my initiative in contacting them.

Jul 04 05 02:22 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Oh crap! LOL. I wonder if my Spoof Hollywood Movie Poster (current Avatar) falls into this category. ...I did label the image as a *spoof* sad

Jul 04 05 02:28 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

no Joe, I dont think a Model Mayham poster qualifies as a fake tear .....LOL!

Jul 04 05 02:37 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Jul 04 05 02:56 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Mary: 
no Joe, I dont think a Model Mayham poster qualifies as a fake tear .....LOL!

Whew!

*wipes his shiny forehead* smile

Jul 04 05 03:00 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Mary: 

Whats with the fake tear sheets?  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not expect us to believe you did a major  ad campaign with a mock ad.  Number one dead give-away that its a fake....

Your makeup artist and hair stylist are clueless.  Major ads use great artists, you can't skimp  here.   PLEASE WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO KID??? 

An acquaintance of mine in the Bay Area recently put up one of these mock ads. Honestly though, up until the time I spoke to him, I didn't know it was a mock up. I thought it was nicely done. Anyhow, as I mentioned via e-mail to you, I gave him a call and found out he's actually in touch with the chain of command at that particular cosmetics company. Very similar to what I had done with Sony.

The best the company will tell anyone doing mock-ups using real brand logos is to convert the image to a spoof. For example, for Sony, I changed the one in my doggy image to Bony. He might get lucky and convince the Art Director to try out his Photography skills.

There are some Photographers who will rebel and wait until they are told to remove the image. My friend, isn't one of those knuckleheads. *grin*  He's doing the right thing and that's all that counts.

Thanks though for bringing this to light. It has an educational value for many photographers considering doing mock-ups.

Jul 05 05 03:34 pm Link