Forums > General Industry > body painting......what paint do i use on her?

Photographer

Mr Maki

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I will be painting a model next month and I don't know what paint(s) to use.   DO i have to buy them online?  or do art stores have 'em?

Mar 31 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Best thing to do is ask a MUA.
I’ve heard that Ben Nye is good. It’s Body Makeup. Never use paint IMO. Here is a link:
http://www.fxsupply.com/makeup/mu_body.html

Mar 31 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

ok

here's a really dumb question,

why in the world would you the photographer be applying paint (or makeup) to a model? or even touching the model?

YOU GET a body paint artist to do it! who has all the right tools

Mar 31 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

DaveL

Springfield, Ohio, US

I've used liquid latex body paint that you can often find in sex shops and also order on line.  Make sure the model doesn't have a latex allergy.  Also, most of the liquid latex has a very strong ammonia smell.  I've found that if you pour it out into an open container and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before you start painting, much of the offensive smell goes away.

I've also used kid's paint...finger paint...the stuff you can buy in any discount store.  That stuff is safe for the little kids to eat, so it's pretty safe on a model's body.  It's also washable, so it's pretty easy to get off.  The liquid latex stuff just peels off...but it is hard to get out of anyplace where it's gotten into hair...and some models have told me it waxed them when it was removed.

Apr 01 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Mr Maki

Tallahassee, Florida, US

DaveL wrote:
I've used liquid latex body paint that you can often find in sex shops and also order on line.  Make sure the model doesn't have a latex allergy.  Also, most of the liquid latex has a very strong ammonia smell.  I've found that if you pour it out into an open container and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before you start painting, much of the offensive smell goes away.

I've also used kid's paint...finger paint...the stuff you can buy in any discount store.  That stuff is safe for the little kids to eat, so it's pretty safe on a model's body.  It's also washable, so it's pretty easy to get off.  The liquid latex stuff just peels off...but it is hard to get out of anyplace where it's gotten into hair...and some models have told me it waxed them when it was removed.

===> I'll let her know to  shave before the shoot smile

Apr 02 06 02:25 pm Link