Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > i need your help please please please!

Model

allison a

Chicago, Illinois, US

makeup artists, models, photographers... i need your help. i need to buy a bunch of new makeup and i need to know what makeup photographs the best. i know there are certain makeups that have certain "stuff" in them that cause hot spots, etc. what are some good brands or specific products in different lines that you would suggest picking up? i'm talking about everything from foundation to concealer to eye liner and mascara. anything you can suggest would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!

Mar 30 06 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

My Makeup Artists - about 7 use MAC products and one uses Estee Lauder. Have had no problems with any of their work.
Hope this helps.... oh I could also give you their contact info if you'd like.
David6of7

Mar 30 06 05:17 pm Link

Model

allison a

Chicago, Illinois, US

David (6of7) wrote:
My Makeup Artists - about 7 use MAC products and one uses Estee Lauder. Have had no problems with any of their work.
Hope this helps.... oh I could also give you their contact info if you'd like.
David6of7

could you? that would be awesome. you can message me privately if you'd like.

Mar 30 06 05:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Make Up the Design

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

geez...good brands....where to begin.....Nars, Shu, Stilla, RCMA, Visiora, Mac, Dior, Lancome, MUFE, and it goes on and on my friend.....

AND they all make foundations and concealers and shadows and such.

Mar 30 06 06:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Mark Schmudde

New Lenox, Illinois, US

There is a brand that I really like.  It is Dan Read Cosmetics.  His foundation is incredible.  It was the first foundation designed for HDTV.  It lasts at least 16 hours and you can workout in it, sweat in it and swim in it and it won't come off.  I have personally been there and seen first hand where the make up was put on at 4:00 AM and lasted through the day at two beaches (the model was in the water) and then the model went in the pool at 10:00 PM.  After all that, the make up survived. 

I recently had the opportunity to test it even further.  I just did a video where I had to make the talent look sweaty.  They had to stay looking sweaty for several hours.  I used glycerin to do this.  Since not everything is shot in chronological order, after looking sweaty for several hours, I had to make them look clean and fresh.  I was able to clean off the sweat without messing up the make up.

I really love this product line and everyone I use it on loves it too.  Check out all the products at www.danreadcosmetics.com

I hope this helps.

Apr 01 06 09:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Candace Corey

Chicago, Illinois, US

Some good ones have been mentioned so I'll just add a couple. Ben Nye, Kryolan, Dermablend and Dermacolor are a few more options.

Candace Corey
www.candacecorey.com

Apr 02 06 10:07 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I would not suggest using MAC foundations for print/film work.  It tends to turn orange.  And touch ups are almost impossible after it's been set.

I don't use just one brand in my kit.  And I'm surprised that the photographer mentioned that 7 of his artists use only MAC.  I don't see much MAC in pro artists kits anymore.  Unless they work for MAC. 

Brands you will find in my kit...

BeneFit
Tarte
Bourjois
Shiseido
Dior
MakeUp Forever
Chanel
Laura Mercier
RCMA
Cinema Secrets
Vincent Longo