Forums > General Industry > grad school project questions

Photographer

Photography by Mark

Yorktown, Virginia, US

Hello all;

Hope everything is going well at your end and that everyone had a chance to get outside today.

I'm currently working on a project for my Contemporary Issues in Art class and I would like your input. The central theme is about what seems to be a shift in perception about modeling. I don't want to say too much as I don't want to imply anything that may sway your responses so here it is:

For everyone - Do you think that women are moving away from a thought/position of recent decades where posing is demeaning and/or degrading towards women? Is there a stigma attached to those that do model? Is there a shift towards women wanting to be portrayed as "beautiful/glamorous" again? Are more women getting pictures done? Are they getting pictures done to affirm their self-image or to see themselves in a different way? What would you say to someone who does believe it is demeaning/degrading?

For the models - Why did/do you model? What did/do you get out of it emotionally and psychologically? Is your ego, self-image, and such affected? In what way? Is it just for money? Would you still do it if there wasn't money involved and there wasn't any expenses?

Please be honest and truthful. Please do not feel like your response won't count as every response does whether you've only done one shoot or 100.

You can always e-mail me if you don't want to post your answer here.

Mark

www.cnyphotographer.com - web page
[email protected] - email

Mar 29 06 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Your questions assume facts not in evidence.  At the graduate level I'd hope you wouldn't make assumptions about the past or present as it appears you have done.

Mar 29 06 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

I'm with the last poster - where's your research?  For that matter, you're going to have a hard time backing up your study with any kind of proven research (studying society's perception of fashion/figure models is not a high academic priority.)

Mar 29 06 08:59 pm Link