Forums > General Industry > Paypal-Worthy?

Model

Pryclss

Sunset Valley, Texas, US

Hopefully this has not been a thread before, but if it has and someone comes across the link, please send it to me!! :-) I wanted to know what models, stylists, or photogs use Paypal as a form of payment. Also, I wanted to know what are the pros and cons (if any) of using it is for you all....

Mar 28 06 12:02 pm Link

Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

It's a pain in the ass to use, but in a lot of instances (Ebay for example) it's the only type of transaction a seller will allow hmm

Mar 28 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

ReallyRandy

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Actually, I use Paypal ALL the time. Once you're set up, it's really the easiest way to pay online. I have my Paypal draw right from my debit card so the payments show up immediately. I highly recommend it.

Mar 28 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

Paypal walks like a bank, talks like a bank and stinks like a bank but in the end, they are not a bank.  A bank will stand behind the consumer if a transaction goes bad.  Paypal WILL NOT.

Mar 28 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Foolio7714

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I have to be Pro-Paypal.  I sell a lot of stuff on ebay and it's the best way to get paid.  Why wait 4-5 days for a money order or check?  And the Paypal debit card is instant access to your money.

Mar 28 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I've been using it for a couple of years and, knock on wood, have had no problems yet.

Easy way to accept credit cards and easy way to get your money to you.  Disadvantage is that no matter how the buyer pays (to get PayPal the money) they take a percentage.  Advantage is it's a quick way to get your money and gets rid of people saying "Oh but you don't take XXX." because, you do...just through PayPal.

I also have a PayPal debit card (a card that draws from my PayPal account) and find that convenient.

Mar 28 06 12:13 pm Link

Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

David A wrote:
Paypal walks like a bank, talks like a bank and stinks like a bank but in the end, they are not a bank.  A bank will stand behind the consumer if a transaction goes bad.  Paypal WILL NOT.

AND Paypal shies from any adult oriented business doesn't it? Or has that changed?

Mar 28 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

David A wrote:

Well said.  I got a chargeback (it's what they call a failed payment) months after the transaction had, I thought, gone through.

I now only use it for ebay, where there are other guarantees which cover you.  I wouldn't use it for personal transactions with a stranger.

Mar 28 06 12:15 pm Link

Model

Pryclss

Sunset Valley, Texas, US

RED Photographic wrote:

Well said.  I got a chargeback (it's what they call a failed payment) months after the transaction had, I thought, gone through.

I now only use it for ebay, where there are other guarantees which cover you.  I wouldn't use it for personal transactions with a stranger.

So it "protects" you differently for business transactions other than Ebay goods? Well, that sucks!!! :-(

Mar 28 06 12:22 pm Link

Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

I believe it's an ebay associated company.

Mar 28 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

I like my PayPal account, it allows me to send instant invoices to my clients and get paid with their credit cards. its cheaper than the amount credit merchants take from your charges as well. You just need to know how to set it up and use it.

I also have the debit card which is also a MasterCard. I use it for purchasing most of my equipment, materials and supplies. It better than waiting 30 plus days for an invoice to be paid.

The only downside is that the client needs ti have a paypal acount if they are going to be paying you more than once.

Mar 28 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

shimmer wrote:

AND Paypal shies from any adult oriented business doesn't it? Or has that changed?

I used to accept donations in support of my website via PayPal, until PayPal decided that my web site, which features (my attempt at) fine art nude photography violated their acceptable use policies.  They froze my account (with $500 in it), denied my appeals, and were incredibly judgemental & nasty.  I was flabbergasted -- especially in light of all the questionable stuff for sale on EBay (EBay owns PayPal).

You see, they are not a bank.  They can decide whether you are worthy of being their customers for arbitrary reasons.  They can seize & keep your money.  They are arrogant pricks.

So, I got a merchant account & said goodbye to PayPal.  I won't use it ever again.

Mar 28 06 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

shimmer wrote:
I believe it's an ebay associated company.

Ebay owns Paypal.  There are now new laws in place that make it tougher for a company like Ebay to exist online.  That is why they bought Paypal a couple years ago.

Mar 28 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Looknsee Photography wrote:

I used to accept donations in support of my website via PayPal, until PayPal decided that my web site, which features (my attempt at) fine art nude photography violated their acceptable use policies.  They froze my account (with $500 in it), denied my appeals, and were incredibly judgemental & nasty.  I was flabbergasted -- especially in light of all the questionable stuff for sale on EBay (EBay owns PayPal).

You see, they are not a bank.  They can decide whether you are worthy of being their customers for arbitrary reasons.  They can seize & keep your money.  They are arrogant pricks.

So, I got a merchant account & said goodbye to PayPal.  I won't use it ever again.

You did the right thing!  I have done that also.  Setting up your own merchant account is the way to go!

Mar 28 06 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

That's pretty much how I feel.

Mar 28 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

David A wrote:

I agree 100%-------PayPal SUCKS big time there is even a site about just that.

http://paypalsucks.com

It's a form of payment for and by Ebay . They will give ,as David stated ,absolutely NO support if you have a problem with a buyer . In fact they only add to the problem .

Mar 28 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

If anyone needs a list of links of merchant account providers, I have saved up a pretty well reseached one on my "favorites!"   Just hit me up with a message because I'm not going to post it in a public forum.

My business motto is "We succeed together!"

Mar 28 06 01:53 pm Link

Model

Pryclss

Sunset Valley, Texas, US

So basically instead of playing the heads-or-taisl game with Paypal, it's better to just have the client (or whomever) pay you at the time of the shot? Whether it be by cash, check, or credit card?

Mar 28 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Pryclss wrote:
So basically instead of playing the heads-or-taisl game with Paypal, it's better to just have the client (or whomever) pay you at the time of the shot? Whether it be by cash, check, or credit card?

In order to accept credit cards (about 96% of transactions on the Internet are done with credit cards) you need a merchant account.  If you want to set up a "pay to view" or a download site, then you really need to set it up right! 

I've paid to have my own software built for providing all the tools I need to do business online.  How ever I've got to be careful still because of the laws that are now in place to prevent me from sharing that technology with you.  I guess I should prepare writing something to explain further ... but let's just say that Visa and MC do not want another Ebay out there!  So it's everyone for themselves .. at least on the public forum. 

Here ... read this;  Credit Cards and Factoring  and it will give you a better understanding.

Mar 28 06 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

Pryclss wrote:

OK, let me explain it better.  Every business transaction with a credit card has three entities involved - customer, merchant (or business), bank (or in this case paypal = Not a bank).

As a customer, you have some protection using a credit card because the bank will stand behind you if there is a problem.  They will reach into the merchants account and give you your money back.  This is done in cases where the customer wasn't delivered what was promised etc.

The merchant or business accepts credit cards and pays a percentage for doing so.  The benefit is a fairly reliable form of payment that hits the account within a couple days.  If there is a problem with a transaction, the merchant is given the chance to comment on the problem.  The bank makes a final decision as to what to do - refund the customer etc.  As a merchant we accept this possibility and write it off as a cost of doing business.

Bank - The banks relationship is with the merchant.  They want a good long lasting relationship so they try not to screw their merchants but sometimes - many times - things are in favor of the customer and the merchant is on the loosing end.  At least there was some form of review.

Paypal - If something goes wrong -say you accidentally send the money to the wrong email address.  You try to call them and get them to re-direct the money to the correct account - you're screwed.  They don't care, they won't help.  They'll tell you to contact the person you sent the money to and have them send it back.  They are complete crap when it comes to customer service.  ALL they want is their percentage.

So as a customer you are much better protected by using your credit card and not using paypal.  As a business you don't benefit much either way so you might as well have an established relationship with a bank that cares about you a little.

Mar 28 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Pryclss,  if you just want to be able to accept credit cards when being paid by a photographer for a shoot, well maybe Paypal will work for you.  But if you want to sell product that is generated from your images online, then you do need a merchant account.

I pay my models in cash!  tongue

Mar 28 06 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
I pay my models in cash!  tongue

I give'm a check and have cash handy to cash it for them.  Paper trail for me, cash for the model.  Everyone wins.

Mar 28 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

David A wrote:
I give'm a check and have cash handy to cash it for them.  Paper trail for me, cash for the model.  Everyone wins.

Now that is smart, David!   I like your thinking ...  you get their signature and they smile as they get the cash in hand too.  That is a win/win  PLUS backs up the contract or model release signed.

Mar 28 06 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Now that is smart, David!   I like your thinking ...  you get their signature and they smile as they get the cash in hand too.  That is a win/win  PLUS backs up the contract or model release signed.

smile

Mar 28 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

I use it for CC payments, It's a pain, you get billed a percentage, but in the end you can bill a client via CC, so it has it's benefits!

Mar 28 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Sharon Gutowski

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

I have used paypal and will never use them again.  Read through the user agreement very carefully.  They wash their hands of any responsibility and my dealings with them have shownt that they have no integrity.  A mysterious charge appeared on my account and I talked to them about it and they (using vague non commital language) said they didn't care and wanted my money anyway.  I challenged it on my credit card but it took a long time and paypal needs to be more legitimate.  Go to paypalsucks.com to read about the class action lawsuit that went through awhile ago against them.

I always email sellers individually and offer another form or payment such as wire transfer or money order.  If they insist of paypal I won't bid.

Mar 28 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Meng

Tampa, Florida, US

I've used paypal on several occasions, mostly for e-bay, but among some friends that needed to get me money.  Haven't had issues, though I understand they can be there.

But, I have said this in other threads.  NEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVER

ok, that got your attention.

Never pay attention to any of the e-mails you will get to fix, verify or anything else your account.  That means no matter how real it looks.  NEVER.  If Paypal threatens to pull your account and you don't answer, let them.  But you are at about 99.7% chance that it's a scam to get your account. 

Same with phone.  Don't tell anyone anything at all about you, including name, address, race, creed, color, phone #.  Basically absolutely NOTHING ! ! ! !

Andy

Mar 28 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I got one more PayPal story -- they were hacked & they gave away my identity, and someone used the info on PayPal to redirect my e-mail & charge stuff against my PayPal account.  They bought high end video games.  But savvy as I am, I caught them within a couple hours of their hijacking my stuff, and I was able to put a stop to the bleeding on my own. 

My bank was terrific -- all the charges were reversed, and I cancelled my credit card & checking account (which were linked to PayPal -- the overcharges were charged to my credit card).  In the end, I was out nothing, but I had to go through the hassle of changing my credit card & checking account.  Now, 9 month later, I'm still cleaning up.

PayPal was no help at all.  They didn't care.

Tagent Note:  There are a lot of phishing spam e-mails out there, all designed to steal your PayPal account.  Whenever I got one, I would forward it (without reading it) to PayPal, but they never did anything about it -- I didn't even get an automated acknowledgement.

The sad fact is that there really isn't an alternative to PayPal, short of getting your own merchant account, which costs $$$.  PayPal's fraud prevention & investigation services are insufficient.  It's a key service, one that is needed, but it is unregulated & not secure.

Mar 28 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

My bank was terrific -- all the charges were reversed, and I cancelled my credit card & checking account (which were linked to PayPal -- the overcharges were charged to my credit card).  In the end, I was out nothing, but I had to go through the hassle of changing my credit card & checking account.  Now, 9 month later, I'm still cleaning up.

PayPal was no help at all.  They didn't care.

Tagent Note:  There are a lot of phishing spam e-mails out there, all designed to steal your PayPal account.  Whenever I got one, I would forward it (without reading it) to PayPal, but they never did anything about it -- I didn't even get an automated acknowledgement.

The sad fact is that there really isn't an alternative to PayPal, short of getting your own merchant account, which costs $$$.  PayPal's fraud prevention & investigation services are insufficient.  It's a key service, one that is needed, but it is unregulated & not secure.

It's NOT overly expensive to get your own merchant account set up!  I have done a great deal of research into merchant account providers the past couple of months.   There is what they call a "gateway" which is the go between for the merchant account (You!) and the bank card itself.  Now I wish I could provide you with the use of my shopping carts, etc. but that is called "factoring" which is illegal according to bank card useage laws.  It is when someone sells product or services for someone else, by defination ... very much like what Ebay does.  However, Ebay bought Paypal before the credit card laws tightened down on the terms of use for merchant accounts. 

Honestly, I know how hard it is to get a business going online!  In order to sell your services or product online, you need to be able to collect from credit cards.  Now that I have it set up for myself, I wish I could help everyone, but I can't directly provide billing for others.  I had to go through the process of getting accepted as merchant.  The business that is providing me with my merchant account is really a team of account provider, gateway provider, and sales department that is excellent!  I can refer other photographers and models who are looking to set up their own merchant account. 

This is NOT the section of the forum to promote a business, and I will not disclose the name of my merchant account provider on a public forum, but I will say that a merchant account can be set up for less than $100 ...

If you want to know more about who my provider is, you need to send me a message ... ok.

Mar 28 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Palmer

Southampton, England, United Kingdom

Yes i agree paypal sucks...

I used it to take a deposit from a model who wanted to shoot.  The model turned up to the shoot, but decided that she wasnt feeling well enough to shoot.  We were not able to reschedule, but i'd been willing and able to shoot at the scheduled time.

Then some 2 weeks later i find she's reported it to her credit card/paypal as "goods not received" and paypal have put a stop on the funds pending the investigation....

Its like buying a ticket to a concert, not going, but saying i didnt receive the goods!!

I'm sick of Paypal and would like an alternative.  If anyone has any suggestions?!?

Mar 29 06 05:15 am Link