Forums > General Industry > Stylist to model...Any tips?

Makeup Artist

Maggie Young

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I am going to be on the other side of the camera and I am feeling a little anxious about it.  I was just wondering if anybody had any advice to help me look stunning in print.  The hair and makeup I have covered but I need a little guidance on angles and themes for my first shoot.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Mar 28 06 10:27 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Yeay for you!  First tip:  DON'T BE NERVOUS!  It'll show in your face.  Relax, and have a good time.  As for angles:  stand in front of the mirror without makeup on and figure out how your face looks from all different angles.  Pick a point on the mirror and think of it as the camera, then remember how you looked from several different angles when the camera is on you.  Hope it goes great for you!  Best of luck with both endeavors!

Mar 28 06 10:36 am Link

Model

Chelsea Gilgore

Seattle, Washington, US

Yea def the mirror. Study how your face looks in different expressions. Try smiling without squinting your eyes. Find out where your angles are. What is too high (so you can see up your nose) and too low (where your forehead looks large and you have a double chin). Just study your face and figure out what looks best. Also I find it helpful to look through mags (vogue, instyle, etc) and try to pose like the models do in the ads. Practice makes perfect smile

Mar 28 06 10:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Maggie Young

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Thank you so much!  I will definitely try that, hopefully I can mask the nervousness!

Mar 28 06 10:43 am Link

Makeup Artist

Maggie Young

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Chelsea Gilgore wrote:
Yea def the mirror. Study how your face looks in different expressions. Try smiling without squinting your eyes. Find out where your angles are. What is too high (so you can see up your nose) and too low (where your forehead looks large and you have a double chin). Just study your face and figure out what looks best. Also I find it helpful to look through mags (vogue, instyle, etc) and try to pose like the models do in the ads. Practice makes perfect smile

Mar 28 06 10:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

Maggie Young

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I never thought of the double chin thing, do not want that on print!  Is it best to look right into the camera or off to the side?

Mar 28 06 10:47 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Is the photographer someone you know?  This will sound goofy, but a glass of wine can take the edge off and dissolve some of that stress.  NOT a bottle, just one glass. tongue  I always do some light stretching and deep breathing before a shoot as well....it calms my mind.  Also, pick a theme or idea that really interests you and the whole thing will flow much more smoothly.

Mar 28 06 10:47 am Link

Makeup Artist

Maggie Young

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

A glass of wine is always a good idea!  The photographer is someone I've worked with many times and I think that is why I am nervous just because we've always been in control of the shoot with the model and now I am going to be the model so I feel as if I am going to lose some control.  I trust him though and that is always a good thing.

Mar 28 06 10:52 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Aaahhh, a fellow control freak!  I think losing some control for awhile is what makes modeling feel so great.  It's almost an adrenaline rush.  Think of it as a chance to step outside of yourself for a little while....be someone else for 3-4 hours, then go back to your life. 

What kind of shoot are you doing?

Mar 28 06 10:56 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Rule number one... Have fun!

I like to put on an outfit and have a theme song playing in my head.  It helps ease the mood and since I'm a good dancer, I go with the flow of the music in my head.  If the photographer is cool with it, I play a CD of the type of music I envision should be the mood of the photo.  I'm doing a photo shoot tomorrow and my look is Neo-Soul to represent myself.  So, I will play some Maxwell, De Angelo, Jill Scott, and Angie Stone along with some old school music like Soul to Soul and Zhane. 

Whatever you do... have fun!!!

Mar 28 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Witimagery

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Maggie Young wrote:
I am going to be on the other side of the camera and I am feeling a little anxious about it.  I was just wondering if anybody had any advice to help me look stunning in print.

First of all, congrats!  Second, just try to enjoy every minute, as that's what really shows through.  I started working with a MUA this year, and one of our first meets was a test shoot for her to get accustomed to the process.  She'd worked with other photogs before, but this was her first time posing.  We went to the theatre I work with and brought back a half-dozen time-spanning outfits from wardrobe.  It took about 40 shots before she could look at the camera without laughing, but before long she was a natural.  She's in my port right now actually... can you guess which face is the first-timer? ;-)

In short, have faith and have fun.
-/.\

Mar 28 06 11:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

Maggie Young

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Thank you everybody for all the great advice, this is my chance to go through what all my models go through.  They make it look so easy I have a feeling i'm in for a rude awakening, as soon as I get the shots I will post them and see if your advice helped, I know it can only make me better.  Love the music advice I am a dancer as well and that is when I feel my most confident, pretend I am on the dancefloor or stage, got it.  That actually will makes me feel right at home.

Mar 28 06 02:03 pm Link