Forums > General Industry > Pissing Contest - Part II

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Two photographers are on a break during a major photoshoot.  The first one says to the second that the average model is not very smart.  The second one disagrees, and claims that most models are usually quite smart and can cope with a reasonable amount of math.

The first photographer goes off to the washroom, and in his absence the second calls over a blonde model.  He tells her that in a few minutes, after his friend has returned, he will call her over and ask her a question. All she has to do is answer "one third x cubed."

She repeats, "one thir -- dex cue?"

He repeats, "one third x cubed."

Again she says, "one thir dex cuebd?"

"Yes, that's right," he says.

So she agrees, and goes off mumbling to herself, "one thir dex cuebd...'"

The first guy returns and the second proposes a bet to prove his point, that most models do know something about basic math.  He says he will ask the blonde model an integral, and the first laughingly agrees.

The second man calls over the model and asks "what is the integral of x squared?"

The model says matter of factly, "one third x cubed," and while walking away, turns back and says over her shoulder "plus a constant!"

Jul 01 05 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hmmmm. I know one model who graduated from Ga Tech with a BS in Physics and a minor in Optics with an A+ average. I know another who modeled her way through  a master's  degree in international business and another who modeled her way through law school, passing the bar exam on her first try. But then there was Vanna White who in a televised interview was asked "What's the most difficult part of modeling"? After screwing up her face a few times and obviously struggling more than a bit, replied "You have to thinnnnnnk so much"!

Jul 02 05 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Dave - The Rollei Guy

New York, New York, US

Most of the girls in my site have either undergraduate degrees or graduate degrees.   They very from engineering to child guidence professionals.   Never underestimate these girls.   The brighter they are, the better they model

Jul 02 05 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Michael Crouch

San Diego, California, US

I have yet to work with a stupid model.... It's not an easy job, those who take it seriously and work at it are generaly educated...

I have had multiple no shows... could be I was lucky they didn't show, they might have been the idiots!!!

Jul 02 05 05:15 am Link

Photographer

Dave - The Rollei Guy

New York, New York, US

I realized that in my previous post above, I should have indicated that there are plenty of models that either by choice or lack of opportunity did not get their degrees yet are no less intelligent then the degreed people.   I long ago learned that education and inteligence to not necessarily go hand in had.
    I am sorry  if the above was misunderstood.

Jul 02 05 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

I'm sucky at math so I don't think even I'd be able to solve that equation. I guess that puts me in the "stupid photographers" category.

Jul 02 05 08:58 am Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Posted by Doug Lester: 
Hmmmm. I know one model who graduated from Ga Tech with a BS in Physics and a minor in Optics with an A+ average. I know another who modeled her way through  a master's  degree in international business and another who modeled her way through law school, passing the bar exam on her first try. But then there was Vanna White who in a televised interview was asked "What's the most difficult part of modeling"? After screwing up her face a few times and obviously struggling more than a bit, replied "You have to thinnnnnnk so much"!

I've met a lot of dumb people, and none of them were models. There are stupid people everywhere. The stereotype is that pretty girls can make money just off their looks so they don't have to have a brain. But you wont go far in any proffesion if you have the IQ of a disabled chimp.

Jul 02 05 09:09 am Link

Model

Nika

Lynn, Alabama, US

Ive been playing piano professionaly for the better part of my life, and interestingly enough, a lot of photographers infer that it makes me a dependable person overall. I am very glad that you guys dont underestimate the models here, since the dumb part is a universal stereotype.

Jul 02 05 09:09 am Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

LOL..... I've worked with both types... the very very smart ones...and the very very dumb ones..

Some are too smart to be a model... they create "issues" that don't really exist... then you have some who are so dumb that they come up with "the sky is falling" issues in their little minds..

I like to work with those who are more in the middle... who like to create something beautiful together....with mutual respect..  not a bunch of drama..

JP

Jul 02 05 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I have 4 Super Bowl rings, does that count?

Jul 02 05 11:04 am Link

Model

Sibyl Nin has retired

Brooklyn, New York, US

4 superbowl rings huh? which team and what years mister tongue
p.s. I'm a packer fan..and American football is the only sport I will bother watching.. although Rugby is quite good too..oops I guess i hijacked this thread..sorry

Jul 02 05 03:38 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Well here’s another, though to be honest I’m hesitant to say… I’m a CPA candidate, and prior to modeling I worked for a very famous organization for years, when I left Microsoft flew me out… and I choose modeling. Ha! J/k I really enjoy modeling, why not love what you do?

Doug – whoa, that is impressive. Ga Tech Physics and A+ (the minor in optics is redundant though. physics majors there also minor in electromagnetism and several others, it just comes with the degree wink I’m also another model / law student… hopefully I’ll have the same success with the bar!

Dave, yes education and intelligence do not necessarily go hand in hand, but I beg to differ that there is a lack of opportunity for education. If you want a degree, there’s no excuse not to earn one. There are many students who work one or more jobs, who are parents, single parents, have a hindrance of some kind, etc. and they earn their degree.

Nice points Leila smile

I agree with Nika “don’t underestimate the models here, since the dumb part is a universal stereotypeâ€? but I've found that it helps to play dumb, it's what's expected and sometimes it's not appreciated if you show brain cells. sad

John Paul brings up a point that I've seen touched on before... some models try to break modeling into steps, like a recipe, and think their way through a shoot, rather than say, feeling, creative flow, etc. And no, I'm not making a correlation between smarts and feelings, because you can have both! An oft example are musicians/composers and mathematicians, there is a scientifically proven correlation between the two, and yet one is likened to artistic and the other to brains

Jul 03 05 01:31 am Link