Forums > General Industry > What's the difference between a manager and an...

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

What's the difference between a manager and an agency?

Mar 27 06 07:36 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

For accurate advice please message ''oldguysrule'' on modelmayhem.  He has been in the biz longer than most on here......he will tell you the difference. ;0)

Mar 27 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Luther

Arlington, Virginia, US

manager is the pimp

Mar 27 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Depends on what state your in. In California for instance.

A Talent Agency means a person or corporation who engages in the occupation of procuring, offering, promising, or attempting to procure or obtain employment or engagements for an artist. In addition, talent agents can also counsel/advise or direct artists in the development of their professional careers.

Now contrast that with a manager.

A "Manager" is responsible for everything or anything that enhances the development of an artist career. They can give advise, counsel talent/artist in the entertainment industry. Managers can also act as a liaison between their client(s) and talent agent. MANAGERS CAN NOT OBTAIN OR PROCURE EMPLOYMENT FOR AN ARTIST!

This is for Ca.

If you want to read al about the details here it is
California Code of Regulations, Title 8
Chapter 6. Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
http://www.dir.ca.gov/t8/ch6sb3.html

If you want to check out what agencies in CA are legit or not this link will take you to the Ca website to do a search.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/databases/dlselr/Talag.html

No idea what the laws are like in your location.

Mar 27 06 07:45 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

She is in GA not CA.....

Mar 27 06 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

adrienne of Zswana wrote:

It depends, largely on where you are, and if a "manager" or an "agency" are really acting as such or are just using the names.

In NYC there is no such thing as a "model agency".  Every company you have ever heard of that you think of as a "model agency" is really a "model management" company.  The reason is because that way they are exempt from the law which regulates talent agencies.

In other places (such as California) there is a clear distinction between the two, although again for the same reason.  "Managers" provide support services of various types to models, and usually try to get them placed with one or more agencies.  But they do not book work for models.  That's what agencies do.

In Texas the distinction doesn't much matter, since under the law the two are treated the same, so pretty much everyone who is licensed calls themselves an "agency" and everyone else is illegal, no matter whether they call themselves a "manager" or something else.

On the Internet, regardless of physical location, "manager" means a photographer who collects models and may or may not do anything useful for them.  Often they hurt a career more than help.

That's just a sketch of a much more complex set of relationships, but it serves to show that there is no single answer to your question.

That's why above Dan Hood says:

"This is for Ca. . . .

No idea what the laws are like in your location."

If you don't specify location (and venue), the answer is meaningless.

Mar 27 06 07:51 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

you have gotten great answers at this point.

Under what context do you ask  the question.

More information is needed to give more information back to you.

Mar 27 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Aiyoonee

Gilberts, Illinois, US

Dan  Hood  MM/Moderator wrote:
Depends on what state your in. In California for instance.

A Talent Agency means a person or corporation who engages in the occupation of procuring, offering, promising, or attempting to procure or obtain employment or engagements for an artist. In addition, talent agents can also counsel/advise or direct artists in the development of their professional careers.

Now contrast that with a manager.

A "Manager" is responsible for everything or anything that enhances the development of an artist career. They can give advise, counsel talent/artist in the entertainment industry. Managers can also act as a liaison between their client(s) and talent agent. MANAGERS CAN NOT OBTAIN OR PROCURE EMPLOYMENT FOR AN ARTIST!

This holds true as a general rule in most places. Also, a Talent Agency needs a license to operate, a manager does not necessarily have to have one. Things also depend on the type of industry, for example in the Music Biz, the Talent Agent generally represents the interest of the audience or venue while the manager represents the artist. The modeling industry is similar but still a bit different because the agency has clients, but still keeps a nice little *stable* (pardon the expression...but I couldn't think of another word.
I got my Master's Degree in Talent Mgmt and many of the people I worked with had a very clear distinction between the two....it's always best to check state/intl laws first though as they correspond to your particular industry.

Mar 27 06 10:33 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

MHana wrote:

you have gotten great answers at this point.

Under what context do you ask  the question.

More information is needed to give more information back to you.

A model manager contacted me but stated that they are not an agency and therefore do not get the models jobs. So, I'm confused as to what they do then. If all they do is schedule shoots or answer my emails on OMP- I have no problem doing that myself.

Mar 28 06 01:25 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

A model manager contacted me but stated that they are not an agency and therefore do not get the models jobs. So, I'm confused as to what they do then. If all they do is schedule shoots or answer my emails on OMP- I have no problem doing that myself.

stick with Nick.

Mar 28 06 01:26 am Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Lapis wrote:

stick with Nick.

WTF? umm...last I checked Nick didn't have control over my modeling career- maybe I should ask you though.

Mar 28 06 01:31 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

WTF? umm...last I checked Nick didn't have control over my modeling career- maybe I should ask you though.

I am just saying that if you want a model 'manager' like on omp, since you are already listed with nicovision, stay with him.

I don't want to manage any models...have enough problems managing myself. If this person isn't an agency, then what can they do for you that you aren't already doing for yourself.

Mar 28 06 01:34 am Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Lapis wrote:

I am just saying that if you want a model 'manager' like on omp, since you are already listed with nicovision, stay with him.

I'm not listed with anyone on OMP.

Mar 28 06 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

A model manager on OMP will usually pay for your site fees, help set you up with fresh photos and seek out work on an individual basis for you. They also tend to be photogs like me.

The agency (if ligit) will try to find you work or represent you (along with a thousand others)...

I say good marketing is using whatever you can to get the word out about your style and desires.. heck-darn, use both.. smile

Mar 28 06 01:44 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Sorry. I haven't looked at your port over there in a while. I know you were listed with nicovision. But I know that being listed with someone on omp isn't the same as a model manager.

An internet model manager is a confusing term, so I guess what I am saying is it sounds like this person, if they are not getting you jobs or directing traffic to your site really can't help you? Unless they tell how they were going to help you, I would stay independant, like you already are.

A 'real' model manager works as an agent, gets bookings, checks references, etc. An agency is a group of people that does the same thing. At least that is what I understand it to be.

Since I am an independant model and do my stuff all by myself as well though, I don't know. I would only go with a manager if they were actually going to BOOK ME FOR PAYING JOBS.

Mar 28 06 01:45 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Grrr and Hmm

Edited: okey, only a couple of managers get my dumbass of the year award. The others whose models have worked with me are cool, quiet, unobtrusive and unassuming.

Mar 28 06 01:55 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

HokNok wrote:
A model manager on OMP will usually pay for your site fees, help set you up with fresh photos and seek out work on an individual basis for you. They also tend to be photogs like me.

The agency (if ligit) will try to find you work or represent you (along with a thousand others)...

I say good marketing is using whatever you can to get the word out about your style and desires.. heck-darn, use both.. smile

Can the word legit be used in the same sentence with 'manager' or 'agent' on "OMP"?

Mar 28 06 02:32 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

TXPhotog wrote:

It depends, largely on where you are, and if a "manager" or an "agency" are really acting as such or are just using the names.

In NYC there is no such thing as a "model agency".  Every company you have ever heard of that you think of as a "model agency" is really a "model management" company.  The reason is because that way they are exempt from the law which regulates talent agencies.

In other places (such as California) there is a clear distinction between the two, although again for the same reason.  "Managers" provide support services of various types to models, and usually try to get them placed with one or more agencies.  But they do not book work for models.  That's what agencies do.

In Texas the distinction doesn't much matter, since under the law the two are treated the same, so pretty much everyone who is licensed calls themselves an "agency" and everyone else is illegal, no matter whether they call themselves a "manager" or something else.

On the Internet, regardless of physical location, "manager" means a photographer who collects models and may or may not do anything useful for them.  Often they hurt a career more than help.

That's just a sketch of a much more complex set of relationships, but it serves to show that there is no single answer to your question.

That's why above Dan Hood says:

"This is for Ca. . . .

No idea what the laws are like in your location."

If you don't specify location (and venue), the answer is meaningless.

You are so right on the part about hurting a career - I know of only one photographer/manager who actually does good for his models.  The rest are basically there to monopolize their models - often refusing to let more accomplished photographers work with them for fear of losing them.  I know of one girl on OMP whose portfolio consists of pics all from the same photographer/manager (all but one).  A model needs to show that she can work with different photographers - this poor girl's portfolio makes her look more like a mistress than a model.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Mar 28 06 05:51 am Link

Model

RoxieBeckles

In the case of a LEGIT land-based manager (one that is licenced under the National Conference of Personal Managers and there is also another organization too whose name escapes me) they act as a liason between their talent and agents/bookings.  They primarily develop new talent and try to guide them to better them in their respective fields and aid in finding representation.  Once agency representation is acquired, they can help to better negotiate contract agreements, they can help to settle any questions or concerns you may have with a particular agency/agent/booking etc.  They are not legally licenced to find you work or book you work or submit you for work, because that's just not what they are responsible for under the major management licences in this country.  A manager (a LEGIT manager licenced under the two major organizations) can be a valuable commodity to people who are repped by more than one agent, by those who handle a lot of direct bookings in small to large venues and need someone to negotiate fees and set conditions under which they perform (think comedians, singers, musicians, dancers), by new and established actors and other talent who need guidance in developping their careers or need to connect to the right people who can help further that career.  Model managers do the same kind of things for models, but the true legit ones are fewer and far between to find because this is not typically a relationship that modeling agencies deal with.  I do know a handful of models who have used personal managers in NY (one whom I actually worked with -- on the acting aspect -- that worked with two major talent agencies as a booker.  Those agencies were Flutie Entertainment -- they rep many big name celebs -- and ICM -- International Creative Management, a MAJOR player in the entertainment industry).  This manager also had ties to the fashion world and got his models repped by agencies like NY Model Management, Planit M, and SVM NY.  These models are ALWAYS working and have good relationships with their agencies through this manager.  He also helps to develop these models for the acting world and submits them for auditions from breakdowns that he recieves from casting director friends of his (not exactly legal, but oh well I'm not saying who this person is).  He works as a liason btw the agencies and his talent, and he also charges an additional fee from their bookings which is what managers do.

Mar 28 06 06:24 am Link

Model

RoxieBeckles

http://www.ncopm.com/

check out this link for more info, this is the actual National Conference Of Personal Managers website.

Mar 28 06 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You still haven't said what you mean.  "A model manager", if a real, legitimate one means something very different than an "internet model manager".  Your original question is meaningless if you are talking about the Internet, where definitions are whatever the "manager" chooses to make them, and often as not simply mean "I want you in my collection" and nothing more.

Mar 28 06 07:19 am Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

Luther wrote:
manager is the pimp

lol

Mar 28 06 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

In the world of internet modeling, 99.999% of managers are a menace to everyone they come into contact with.  And every single stinkin' one of them thinks they are one of the .001% that serve a legitimate purpose.   I vote that we stop sharing our air with them.

I know, I know.  I'm being generous, but I just happen to be having a good day today, so I'm being uncharacteristically kind.

-Dave

Mar 28 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

TXPhotog wrote:
definitions are whatever the "manager" chooses to make them, and often as not simply mean "I want you in my collection" and nothing more.

You meant to say "stable" instead of collection, didn't you? 

Muahahahahahahaha!  I kill me.

Mar 28 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I know I saw one earlier that really gave me pause.  A new model popped up in my area on OMP and when I looked at her "manager's" port, he lists himself as an amateur photog (no actual images posted, either) but a professional attorney & says he can help to a minimal extent with portfolio development but mainly with reviewing contracts, e-mails, etc etc.
Thing is, he's in PA and NONE of his models are.  Most of them are here in Fl.  Now, my understanding was that you had to be registered in Fl to be a model manager, and also that, in general (any atty's out there correct me if I'm wrong) you're not supposed to give legal advice or do legal work outside your state unless you're registered in the other state affected.
Makes my head spin.

Mar 28 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SLE:  This is the Internet.  No rules apply.

Mar 28 06 12:29 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

TXPhotog wrote:

You still haven't said what you mean.  "A model manager", if a real, legitimate one means something very different than an "internet model manager".  Your original question is meaningless if you are talking about the Internet, where definitions are whatever the "manager" chooses to make them, and often as not simply mean "I want you in my collection" and nothing more.

I always meant a "real" one. Lapis mentioned OMP "managers" and I had to address that comment but that is not what I was talking about.

Mar 28 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

A Manager should guide and direct the talent towards profitable projects for the model. I many instances, the best thing a Manager can do is try to help the model from making mistakes that can be career ending or shortening. Perhaps open doors to legit Agencies.

Hope this helps.

Mar 28 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

Luther wrote:
manager is the pimp

You must be talking about photographers that pass themselves off as managers.

A legitimate model manager will keep you working because if the agency you are at is slow they will move you to one that is not. If you are not working they are not making any money so they keep you working.
If you want to see what a legitimate model management company looks like go to...

http://www.modelmgmt.com

Mar 28 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

A manager places you with an agency. An agency has the clients and the jobs. If the agency that the manager has placed you is slow the manager will move you to an agency that is not. A legit manager will keep you working an agency may not.

One legit model management company is..
http://www.modelmgmt.com

Before letting anyone manage you check them out with the major agencies. Find out what they can do for you and what they have done for others in the past.

hope this helps.

Mar 28 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

Right on Joe!

Mar 28 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
For accurate advice please message ''oldguysrule'' on modelmayhem.  He has been in the biz longer than most on here......he will tell you the difference. ;0)

well I been in the business since 1975

Mar 28 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

okay here goes my anal ass but......how does a "model" not know the difference between the two?

actually there is the business manager..the personal manager...the talent agent...the booking agent...the casting agent.....the literary agent...the Photographer's agent....the Photographer's Representative.....

Mar 28 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

RoxieB wrote:
In the case of a LEGIT land-based manager (one that is licenced under the National Conference of Personal Managers and there is also another organization too whose name escapes me) they act as a liason between their talent and agents/bookings.  They primarily develop new talent and try to guide them to better them in their respective fields and aid in finding representation.  Once agency representation is acquired, they can help to better negotiate contract agreements, they can help to settle any questions or concerns you may have with a particular agency/agent/booking etc.  They are not legally licenced to find you work or book you work or submit you for work, because that's just not what they are responsible for under the major management licences in this country.  A manager (a LEGIT manager licenced under the two major organizations) can be a valuable commodity to people who are repped by more than one agent, by those who handle a lot of direct bookings in small to large venues and need someone to negotiate fees and set conditions under which they perform (think comedians, singers, musicians, dancers), by new and established actors and other talent who need guidance in developping their careers or need to connect to the right people who can help further that career.  Model managers do the same kind of things for models, but the true legit ones are fewer and far between to find because this is not typically a relationship that modeling agencies deal with.  I do know a handful of models who have used personal managers in NY (one whom I actually worked with -- on the acting aspect -- that worked with two major talent agencies as a booker.  Those agencies were Flutie Entertainment -- they rep many big name celebs -- and ICM -- International Creative Management, a MAJOR player in the entertainment industry).  This manager also had ties to the fashion world and got his models repped by agencies like NY Model Management, Planit M, and SVM NY.  These models are ALWAYS working and have good relationships with their agencies through this manager.  He also helps to develop these models for the acting world and submits them for auditions from breakdowns that he recieves from casting director friends of his (not exactly legal, but oh well I'm not saying who this person is).  He works as a liason btw the agencies and his talent, and he also charges an additional fee from their bookings which is what managers do.

not all legit managers are required to be "licensed"

Mar 28 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

i'll pimp err uh manage you. it's best to do some internet research. the info. is out there.

Mar 28 06 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

TXPhotog wrote:
SLE:  This is the Internet.  No rules apply.

LOL, I know what you mean but my point stands that if this guy is finding people online & then violating state laws about legal work & all, it's still against the law.

Mar 28 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

images by elahi wrote:
not all legit managers are required to be "licensed"

Depends on the state.  In some states, to call yourself that you must be licensed.

Mar 28 06 05:01 pm Link