Forums > General Industry > How to Spot a real Photographer

Model

angela camp

Los Angeles, California, US

Okay, I know this has already been done but why can't it be done again?
It is always relevant considering how many naive aspiring models take a glance at the main page.  Heck, and hopefully I'll learn something.  Here is a list of two things I look for:
1.  He owns a camera that doesn't even remotely resemble the camera I have at home nor any camera they sell at radioshack or walmart.
2.  He is perfectly willing to meet my boyfriend before the shoot

Please add on and correct my two presumptions if you think they are wrong.

Mar 27 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

angela camp wrote:
1.  He owns a camera that doesn't even remotely resemble the camera I have at home nor any camera they sell at radioshack or walmart.

I disagree with Number 1, since it's not the camera that makes the photographer.

I agree with Number 2.  I'd go further and say that you know that you've shot with a real photographer if he can look your boyfriend in the eye afterward.

Mar 27 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

angela camp wrote:

In defense, Richard Avadon (heard of him right?) did some great fashion shoots with a pinhole camera.  Seeing that you can make one out of a oatmeal container, technically you can get one at WalMart. :-)

And meeting the boyfriend?  If he is the the person you bring to the shoot for safety, fine.  But if a photographer needs to get his approval before the shoot, then the way to tell if they are a real photographer is they wish you good luck and move on.  Real models don't need their boyfriend's consent.

Mar 27 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

Angela,
Nice portfolio, best of luck with the acting.
Your #2 is totally wrong. I could care less about your boyfriend, mother, father, grandmother, whomever. I care only about you, the client/model.
Possible additional things to look for:
#3. Has more than a sheet for a backdrop.
#4. Has references
#5. Uses minimal photoshop on images.
#6. Respects the model throughout the shoot and afterwards.
#7. Is punctual and turns off cell phone during shoot.
#8. Provides privacy area for changing.
#9. Makes it clear what the focus(s) of the shoot will be.

Just a beginning...

Mar 27 06 01:27 pm Link

Model

angela camp

My boyfriend has no desire to meet the photographer, I insist that he meet with the photographer because I feel that if the photographer has good intentions he will have no problem meeting my boyfriend. This is strictly for my own personal saftey and comfort and has nothing to do with the photographer. My boyfriend never comes to the actual shoot because it would make me a little self-conscious.

Oh yeah, and I saw the photographer who shot with a throw-away camera for Sports Illustrated on a Sports Illustrated expose on T.V., I still think he is an exception to the rule.

Mar 27 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Jeff Marsh wrote:
#3. Has more than a sheet for a backdrop.

Yea, and make sure it's not wronkeld big_smile

Mar 27 06 01:33 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

The problem with number one, aside from what has already been mentioned (check out Melvin Moten's work for further proof), is that having good gear doesn't mean a photographer knows what to do with it.  There are plenty of goofballs running around with insanely expensive equipment to show off with, and everything dialed in to "Auto."

The work should speak for itself.  I could care less how a photographer achieves consistently gorgeous work, so long as it is consistent.

Model references are also a good thing.

Mar 27 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

If the intentions are your concern, then meeting your boyfriend won't help.  The best thing for that is just look at their images first, and then do some backdoor referencing.  Go to the models link on the picture and send them a message asking about the photographer.  If none of their models are linked, then I would find that shady as well.  Granted, they could be new to MM, so just wait till they show some models that do have links.  I really shady person could fool you and your boyfriend.

I am just saying that I am generally busy as hell and do not have much time for pre-interviews except with designers and make-up artists.  I expect the model knows what she is doing so I would rather focus my prep work on making sure the designer, MUA and I are on the right page before the day of.

Camera Rebutal - last year the French edition of PHOTO magazine (much better the the American version) did a spread in which a fashion designer (not photographer) did a fashion shoot of their own stuff using a Sony/Erricson cell phone camera.  They were great.  I have seen some people who know how to use $25,000 cameras like they invented them but took horrible pictures.  40% of it is knowing how to use the equipment.  60% of it is composing a great image.

Mar 27 06 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Walsh Street Journal

Lewes, Delaware, US

Photographer's are a lot like Gun Slingers ....

It all depends on WHO he shot, and how many times it took to get the JOB done.

Jovial Jack

Mar 27 06 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

angela camp wrote:
My boyfriend has no desire to meet the photographer, I insist that he meet with the photographer because I feel that if the photographer has good intentions he will have no problem meeting my boyfriend. This is strictly for my own personal saftey and comfort and has nothing to do with the photographer.

Angela, most photographers are happy to meet YOU before hand and actually want to get a better feel for you integrating into the plan out the shoot, start a repoire, and confirm you are the size and specs you say you are on your port.

I have GREAT intentions and I dont care to meet your boyfriend- he is totally extraneous to the process.

-Jose

Mar 27 06 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

Walsh Street Journal wrote:
Photographer's are a lot like Gun Slingers ....

It all depends on WHO he shot, and how many times it took to get the JOB done.

Jovial Jack

Damn, forgot that....OK....30% techical skill, 50% composition, 20% good model :-)

Mar 27 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

angela camp wrote:
Okay, I know this has already been done but why can't it be done again?
It is always relevant considering how many naive aspiring models take a glance at the main page.  Heck, and hopefully I'll learn something.  Here is a list of two things I look for:

Please add on and correct my two presumptions if you think they are wrong.

#2 I'd be willing to meet with boyfriend and model (or husband and model or parent and model or whatever and model).. But a solo meeting with significant other seems pointless..  Also comfortable having them along as long as they're not going to get weird..

to add:

#3 no fuzzy bears in their portfolio..  That just screams GWC right off.. wink

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

The only way I want to meet your boyfriend is if he is buying me drinks.  And if thats the case bring the whole family because I get thirsty.

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

I will have to agree with most of the others on #1
Doesn't matter about the camera and equipment. If the photographer knows how to use it and produce a beautiful picture in the end that client is happy with.
All that matters really.

#2 I'm not sure I'd want to meet with a models boyfriend before a shoot. Im not shooting him. Im shooting you. So if a pre-meet needs to happen I would want to meet with the model I will be shooting. In an open and safe place so she feels comfy.

Then again I am a female photographer so most women already feel comfy with me as it is.

Mar 27 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

Most important above anything else is

The images created in his or her portfolio.

References can say what there told to say.

The pictures themselves and clients photographed speak the loudest

Mar 27 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

KM Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Why can't the photographer be FEMALE???  Then you know for sure she'll want to meet ur BF....Hell schedule a session with me I'll end up photographing ur MAN instead of you........need to update the male section in my book anyway.... smile

KM Studios

Mar 27 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

This thread kind of cracks me up, because I can't help wondering how many photographers would be comfortable if, just as the shoot finishes, the model says, "Oh, my boyfriend is here to pick me up.  Can he look at the pictures?"

Mar 27 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

phcorcoran wrote:
This thread kind of cracks me up, because I can't help wondering how many photographers would be comfortable if, just as the shoot finishes, the model says, "Oh, my boyfriend is here to pick me up.  Can he look at the pictures?"

Ive had that happen and they both looked at the pictures and both liked them smile
I was fine with it.

Mar 27 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

dncphotos wrote:
Ive had that happen and they both looked at the pictures and both liked them smile
I was fine with it.

Then in that case you had confirmation that you'd been shooting with a real photographer.

Mar 27 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Visual E

Wellington, Colorado, US

Perceptions. Everyone has their own perceptions of what a real photographer is. And just as many have perceptions of what a real model is.

Real models don't have much difficulty spotting real photographers and visa versa.

I mean the boyfriend is going to be real good at confirming a real photographers credentials aren't they.

What are you most concerned about here? Getting great photos and developing your portfolio or personal safety? 

For personal safety issues, trust your instincts. If you are nervous don't do the job - it'll bring bad karma to the shoot and result in bad photos too. Start with people you can be truely relaxed with, even if they only have a disposable camera.  Get experience yourself - it gets easier spotting the real from the illusional.

Get to know people in the industry. Set clear groundrules and stick to them. Once you get some confidence yourself, check out better photographer's portfolios and references. Start simple with a clear shooting plan.

Mar 27 06 02:20 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Jeff Marsh wrote:
#5. Uses minimal photoshop on images.

I disagree with this as a blanket statement, Jeff.  People like Max V, Michael Rosen, Jeffrey Scott, Ravens Laughter, August Bradley, James Hickey, Haleh Bryan and Shaun Alexander (to name a few) are absolutely real photographers.  They just happen to be real photographers who make regular (and skilled) use of Photoshop.

Which is why I continue to maintain that it's the finished product that counts.

Mar 27 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

phcorcoran wrote:

You really have this thing about people finding your images tasteful.  Honestly, does it matter?  I mean it is all subjective.  If a model is wanting to develope the nudes aspect to her portfolio then she and her boyfriend will find it tasteful.  If they are devout evangelistics they would find your main image offensive. 

Stop being so damn concerned about what everyone else thinks.  Honestly, I don't think I have ever taken a picture that I am 100% satisfied with.  Hell, many of my models have fallen inlove with images I shot of them that I personally think are crap.....man, that "eye of the beholder" thing just keeps popping up again.

Mar 27 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

Apfel Photography wrote:
Stop being so damn concerned about what everyone else thinks.

Not aimed at anyone in particular....just a generalization.

Mar 27 06 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Studio One12

Elizabeth City, North Carolina, US

angela camp wrote:
My boyfriend has no desire to meet the photographer, I insist that he meet with the photographer because I feel that if the photographer has good intentions he will have no problem meeting my boyfriend. This is strictly for my own personal saftey and comfort and has nothing to do with the photographer. My boyfriend never comes to the actual shoot because it would make me a little self-conscious.

Oh yeah, and I saw the photographer who shot with a throw-away camera for Sports Illustrated on a Sports Illustrated expose on T.V., I still think he is an exception to the rule.

A good photographer can shoot anything. I have gotten good images with a cheap 35mm camera such as the Urban Cowboy and the Desert Storm pics in my portfolio.
Having a great camera is a plus but it does not make one a real photographer.

Mar 27 06 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Max V

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I love shooting with disposibles and I really don't wanna meet with anybody's boyfriend, girlfriend, family members, pets, etc.

Max V.

Mar 27 06 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Max V

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Oh I also do edit images heavily -Photoshop, Painter, etc.-

M.

Mar 27 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

angela camp wrote:

Any human being who is social should have no problem meeting your boyfriend as long as he is social too.  I invite models to bring all the family and friends they can to our shoots because to me, a photo shoot is a social event be it weddings, or of a model.   I refuse to photograph landscapes (unless there are people in it) and strange things that I've seen other photographers shoot ... like food, jewlery, etc. because I find humans so very interesting! 

Seriously, your comfort and safety are most important to me.  Any photographer should agree to that. 

The second one I completely disagree with you on!  The sign of a true photographer is one who can take a creative and decent picture using what ever camera is available.  My photographer teacher in college challenged us to use basic and cheap cameras.  I have used all formats of films cameras known to the human race.  My grandpa used a glass plate view camera.  How many here know how to use that?  I've also used pin hole and disposable cameras. 

The most important thing is not the camera, but what the final product is going to be.  The one and only digital camera I have is a common one that anybody can get for under $1,000 ... I think I've seen it on sale now for between $600 to $800 now. 

My teacher said that "trying to impress or intimidate by pulling out an expensive camera does not guarantee final results of the shoot."  Leave the expensive stuff at home!

Mar 27 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

Shyly-
I must agree with you, I stand corrected, BUT ONLY when you are talking about the Max V, Jeffery Scott, Rosens, et al of the world. They are truly ARTISTS .

Mar 27 06 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

CurvyPixels Photography

Saratoga, California, US

Shyly wrote:

I disagree with this as a blanket statement, Jeff.  People like Max V, Michael Rosen, Jeffrey Scott, Ravens Laughter, August Bradley, James Hickey, Haleh Bryan and Shaun Alexander (to name a few) are absolutely real photographers.  They just happen to be real photographers who make regular (and skilled) use of Photoshop.

Which is why I continue to maintain that it's the finished product that counts.

+1

Mar 27 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

TR PHOTO

Who's making up these rules (snicker). Get your butts to workin' shoot- shoot- shoot and the shoot some more- get all the images you can to put together the most amazing group of photos. Sometimes the non pros shoot the most amazing stuff. Love the craft and play nicely- see ya !

Mar 27 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Well,
1. I really dont care to meet anyones boyfriend or girlfriend, unles they are a modeling couple and are shooting together. I've paud my dues and really dont want to waste my time being validated by somebodies sig other. I mean really, look at the portfolio, make up your mind and let's shoot. Better yet, I dont do TFP anymore, so if you are going to hire me, read what I already said. If I am working on a client project and there is money being paid out to a model. The sure fire way to get another model the gig would be to say..." I cant take the job unti you meet my boyfriend" NEXT

2. Gear..Well we all know a good photgrapher can take an awesome picture with a rubberband, a mirror and a cardboard tube.

3. Photoshop... Minimal?
I just finihed a retouching class with the focus on fashion and glamour retouching in the commercial print world. MINIMAL doesnt exist. The things I have now done in photshop are unreal. It goes way beyond removing a blemish or two. I mean digital plastic surgery on down. Photshop is a major tool in the industry..and FYI.... Once you get to a certain level as a working photgrapher the images you take then GO TO the retoucher. Yeah, you still get credit for the mage, but some young dude/dudess in a dark monitor filled room is retouching the crap out of the images because the director said so.

PS has nothing to do with it unless you wann get more specific.

Like it or not, PS can take the worst of images and provide a killer final product. (in the right hands)

Anyway....
A real photographer is someone who really enjoys taking pictures.

period....

Mar 27 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Max V wrote:
Oh I also do edit images heavily -Photoshop, Painter, etc.-

M.

If you ever decide to teach.. I'd rob a bank for a chance to watch over your shoulder what you do to images in post.. Absolutely incredible work..

Mar 27 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

bill wylie

New York, New York, US

One should think twice for adding real to a statement:

This is the Web!

So, As in anyone can be a model, Anyone can be a photographer.

As far as Real gose, 5'6 and 125 will not make you a Real model, too many Real Photographers

The only thing that spells real in this world is the image. Bill.

Mar 27 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

michaelrowe photography

its amazing how many female models come to my house by themselves, but they look at my work and know off hand that i am not a GWC.   Plus i have a website that looks proffessional. 

But you should bring someone with you for safety or give his/her address to your family member and let them know when you get there and when you leave.

Mar 27 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Apfel Photography wrote:
You really have this thing about people finding your images tasteful.

Wracking my memory, I don't think I've ever written a thing about whether photographs should be tasteful.  I don't think I've even looked up "tasteful" in the dictionary to see what it means.

What I am saying is that a real photographer, let's use the word real to mean something like "genuine" or "honest," should be willing to show their work to anyone--the model's boyfriend, their own wife--without embarrassment. 

I write this in response to the OP's post that real a photographer should be willing to meet with her boyfriend before a shoot.  I agree with her.  Such a meeting might be inconvenient, unnecessary and unprofessional in the eyes of the photographer, but if you're not willing to do it--then you are up to something fishy.

Mar 27 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

RnL Photography

Cocoa, Florida, US

C R Photography wrote:

Yea, and make sure it's not wronkeld big_smile

sorry I have over 37 back drops. some on rollers some are not those that are not, (cloth or tarp) I ball up and hang them when needed. If you carefully fold them you get creases which show up very badly in the image. so forget the wrinkled thing also. I have cameras you can get from wally world and I have cameras I have special ordered. Sorry I do not alow any "males" around when I am shooting. they always dampen the shoot even if I am shooting another male. Meet yes,be at the shoot, no.

Mar 27 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Damnit. Looks like I need to take down the page.

Mar 27 06 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Johari Davis

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I know its been said but why not beat it with a stick.. I started out with a Walmart special and to this day I still sneak it in on a few shoots .. The best picture I have ever taken was with a camera phone, of ScarFace on a t-shirt 20 out of 10 people think it was a downloaded image .. At anyrate .. We can pick and choose the many ways to see who is who but the only TRUE way in my eyes is to ask others .. check with the models that they have shot with ..

Mar 27 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

phcorcoran wrote:
Such a meeting might be inconvenient, unnecessary and unprofessional in the eyes of the photographer, but if you're not willing to do it--then you are up to something fishy.

Not even sure how to respond to that one.  Can some one help me here?  You are telling me that if I don't take time out of my schedule to comply to every wish a model might have before a shoot, I am fishy?

Mar 27 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Art of Eric James

Bakersfield, California, US

Generally correct on both statements. However, the US air force paid $50, 000 Dollars for hammers and I don’t think any of them are good carpenters. There are many wealthy GWC’s out there, so the type of camera one shoots with is not very relevant. It is the work produced that is poignant. So models should look at the portfolio, and educate them selves about photographic techniques to know if they are working with a real photographer and not just a Guy With a Camera.

Mar 27 06 02:59 pm Link