Forums > General Industry > How to shoot beyond your means

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

I see so many wonderful photographs on here that make me wonder how in the world did they pull together 1) a gorgeous model 2) awesome hair and make-up 3) top notch wardrobe 4) unique location. If it was a paid shoot with a magazine then that's one thing, but what if it's simply a TFP shoot that you want to look like a full blown fashion shoot?

One of my biggest challenges as a photographer is to pull together all those resources. With no money, it's not easy! I'm not here to tell anyone how, I'm looking for advice on how others have made it happen for them. I'm coming from the photographer POV, but I'd love to hear how models play a role in coordinating their shoots as well.

Finding a model seems to be the easiest. Go online, search, network, etc. But then then after I find someone to shoot, most of the time, the model (certainly younger models, starting out with no money) have no real clothes that would work for any kind of real "fashion" shoot. Then the model says "i could always borrow something or buy something then return it".

Then it's finding a hair/make-up person, in your area, who wants to test with you,  that does the kind of work you'd like to do.. for free.

Then if you don't have a studio, where can you shoot (legally) that will give the shoot any kind of appropriate production value.

If and when I've coordinated the model, wardrobe, make-up, location.. I've got 40 hours into putting together a shoot before the shoot has even happened.

So I'm curious how anyone here has pulled together resources that are beyond their immediate means to produce shots that look like a top notch magazine shoot.

Thanks for your input, I look forward to hearing some creative and resourceful ideas!
Best wishes to all.. Patrick :-)

Mar 25 06 02:05 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
If it was a paid shoot with a magazine then that's one thing, but what if it's simply a TFP shoot that you want to look like a full blown fashion shoot?

You are discussing both what makes it so hard to make your way up the ladder,  and what is the system of testing/Time exchange.

The better your stuff the better the model,  the better the stylist,  the better the MUA, the better the hairstylist,  the more likely you will invest a bit more,  the more likely that you will not have cancellations,  the more likely you will have the model show up or if working with an agency of good standing,  a replacement within minutes, 

and so on and so on.

Mar 25 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

it is very difficult indeed

my Sin City Volume I shoot cost a small fortune to pull off, between rental equipment, MUA, models, custom choppers, permits, haute couture evening wear, etc

and dont even ask how much my self indulgent "KILL CHIL Vol II" cost, filmed in miami beach, i had a whole production team from gloria esteban productions/crescent moon productions helping out, not to mention the models actually were trained in samurai sword fighting techniques for stage and screen by a NYC/Hollywood stuntman/fight choreographer

you got to sell the people on the merits of the idea, and this way you get a lot of volunteers

Mar 25 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Alex Mercatali

Forlì, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

if your past works are good enough, you can ask people to borrow you everything you may need, and gave them prints or give credit, whatever they prefer.
that's how you can put together wonderfull shooting situation while still doing a tfcd/tfp.
well, that's what I'm always trying to do wink  but I'm not into fashion nor commeciarl, so I better keep my mouth shout sad

Mar 25 06 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Gabriel

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I currently have an MUA that I can call on for shoots. I had worked with a few others; one disappeared on me, the other got pissed after too many cancellations from the models (can't blame her). The girl I'm working with now is awesome, though, so I'm happy. I give her a date or at least several days' notice, and we take it from there.

I have a stylist because I responded to an ad on craigslist to shoot a show she had. I only called on her later for a little advice with an upcoming shoot, but sweetheart that she is, she volunteered to come along and pull the clothes for me. She really brought some magic to that shoot.

Models get turned down a lot. I only go for a specific look now as I'm only wanting to work with models that will add to my book.

I give them all prints for their portfolios, or Web-ready files. I could not pay the stylists their day rates, and what I could pay them would practically be an insult. I'd rather give them prints if they will accept them. The stylist needed a little cash for some clothes for our last shoot, and will need more cash for the next shoot as well (we'll only be working together a couple of times unpaid - I don't want to abuse her generosity as she IS used to getting paid).

I can't promise tearsheets to anyone, but I can promise that I will put their names out there as much as I can. My "team" deserves it. I see big things happening for them and the models I've been shooting with lately.

And it's true that as your work improves, you get less cancellations. I don't know if it's a by-product of having good work, as you attract better talent then, or if it's just me being pickier in choosing whom to work with as I want each shoot to take my portfolio up a notch.

My next step is hitting some agencies. Assuming I can find some paid testing work, my MUA will be getting paid with me, and the stylist too if she wants to come onboard.

Mar 25 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Meade

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I've been working my way up the ladder, and being a student I don't have the money to pay for big productions.  So I've picked up a few tricks along the way.

1.  Styling... if the model doesn't have clothes that match the look you want, find a tfp stylist... Stylists are just like you and me...they need great images for their book to pull great clients, so Stylist are attracted to your "style".  If you can't find a TFP Stylist.. take the ole credit card and head to the mall.. (leave the tags on)

2. Location...  Ask permission.  most locations that I find to shoot at don't require me to get permission. however  sometimes I've had to get into a bar or house to shoot something specific.  All I do is contact the owner/manager.  Explain what I want to do, and offer prints in return.  Some places make you jump through a few hoops, like insurance, and a property release.  But as long as you make them aware that you aren't making money (in a commercial sense) from their property, most people are cool with having shoots.

3. MUA's... I find that great MUA's are attracted by style (your type of shooting).  Its fairly easy to find good MUA's in the mall, or through MM.  however this is most of the time where I spend a little money for services.  MUA's have thousands of dollars worth of makeup that they plow through on a big shoot, so paying a kit fee is absolutely reasonable for any MUA.  So 20-30 bucks so the MUA can replenish their stock, is more than worth it.  Hit the MAC store or the makeup kiosks in Bloomingdales, and start up a convo witht he MUA's.

4. Models... I think this one is a little trickier...as someone previously said, you have to work your way up.  to pull great models you have to have great work.   You can have shitty work, but have to pay for the great models.  Over the past 4 or so months I've been working my way up the MM ladder, Improving with each shoot.  When I first got on here, I couldn't get a response from anyone.  But gradually I got a couple great shots with some startup models, which made my port stronger, which in turn lead to more and more interested models.  And now I'm to the point that I don't use many models from MM, because the work I've done with previous models made my book good enough to pull some agency models.   
With models its all about assuring them that what you can produce is worth their time and effort. 

Thats basically what I've done,  and I'm still doing it, ...... So far SOOOO GOOD!

-Rich

Mar 25 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Look -- all that stuff (selecting the model, finding & arranging the location, etc.) is part of the artistic process.  If you want to be a photographer, you've got to learn how to be proficient at it.  Commit to the time needed to get this done.

Affording this financially, however, can be a challenge.  I have one thought:  it is worthwhile to buld a local artistic community.  I'm good at finding models but not so good at finding interesting locations -- I shared a model with another photographer who knew of some terrific locations.  Sure, some photographers are proprietary about their locations & models, but many can be generous.  Further, some experienced photographers might be willing to loan out studio space if the studio isn't being used.

Mar 25 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

One of the best threads ever to deal with this (very important) issue for photographers putting together their portfolio. This thread assumes the fashion angle:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=29501

Mar 25 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

MichaelHaynes

Norfolk, Virginia, US

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
I see so many wonderful photographs on here that make me wonder how in the world did they pull together 1) a gorgeous model 2) awesome hair and make-up 3) top notch wardrobe 4) unique location. If it was a paid shoot with a magazine then that's one thing, but what if it's simply a TFP shoot that you want to look like a full blown fashion shoot?

OPM

Stands for "Other People's Money", an interesting book. Read it if you can. Then translate the 'money' part to 'time' or 'energy' or 'resources'.  OPT, OPE or OPR.

Unless you are a hermit living in cave, you already have all the resources you need, but have not realized it yet. (You know, if you are a hermit living in a cave, call me...I'd love to do a cave shoot.)

Friends, family, neighbors, work buddies, aquaintances. Use them! You most likely already have a network.

Who does your mom's hair? Or your sister's? Or your girlfriend's or neighbor's? Many small beauty parlors would kill for pictures of their work on their walls.

Or maybe someone you know is pretty good with hair or make-up already and wouldn't mind tagging along for a fun-day.

I will bet some of your family and friends have a top notch dress or two hiding in the closet. You'll have to pay for the dry cleaning, but a tiny expense compared to buying outfits.

Locations. Look around. Be creative. I know a photographer who complained that all the Virginia Beach locations had been photographed to death and he wanted something new and original. We were sitting in his back yard. I grabbed his wife, spread her in the hedge along his chain link fence and (without apologies to the wife) we got some very unique and interesting angles and backgrounds and he even got some print sales out of that afternoon of experimenting. Point is...great locations are everywhere. It is in the mind of the photographer and how you creatively express yourself. Hey...anything, I mean, anything goes!

I will put down any money that you know someone with a great home or land who would be more than happy to let you shoot at their location. Simply asking never hurts, and neither does giving them a photo or two for their trouble.

Lastly, once you have burdened your friends for all of this, make the shoot a nifty fun day for all concerned. Bring a cooler with drinks and a bucket of chicken along as a small thank you and people will love to tag along/help you out again in the future.

You have everything you need already. Use your network and it will help build your photo hobby/career.

Best of luck and let us know how it works.

Mar 26 06 11:36 pm Link