Forums > General Industry > How to shut down a website?

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I've heard people mention from time to time that when images are stolen and posted on other websites, you can contact some sort of higher power that be, and have them shut down.

For the technically challenged like myself, could anyone explain how to find said higher power and report the offending website?

Thank you!

Mar 25 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

There is no higher power. What you can do is first ask them to take down there content of you. And if that does not work just get a lawyer. One thing you might want to do is do a whois search and get the info on the site.

Link to do that is here..  http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jhtml

Then contact the owner of the site..

Mike

Mar 25 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You contact the company that is hosting the web site.

Advise them that copywrited material is being used without permission. Advise them that you will take legal action, and include them as a defendant if it is not removed within 48 hours.

Provide them with specific details as to the domain, and provide a link to the image in question.

Offer to sign and FAX an affidavit of their choosing.

To determine the host, go to the web site of a domain name registrar and try to register the domain. They will advise that it is owned and should provide the host information.

Good luck.

Remember, I am not a lawyer.

Mar 25 06 01:45 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Thank you, both of you.  When I go to look it up, all I get is that Tucows registered the domain name.  It doesn't tell me anything beyond that, and Tucows makes it impossible to contact them about content on any of the sites they register, and say that you have to talk to the ISP...which isn't listed in the WhoIs information.

Argh.

Mar 25 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Try this:  look for the domain server, which is probably listed somewhere.  If it is, that may tell you who the hosting company is.

Mar 25 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

PM me the domain. I will track it down for you.

Mar 25 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

If you give me a link to the image/s I can get u the host and owner info.

Mar 25 06 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

As in most things, the advice you get on the Internet is worth exactly what you've paid for it :-)

Here's the scoop - you cannot have a web site shut down other than through the hosting company doing it, if they so choose, or through court order. Most hosting companies will stand behind section 240 and tell you to pee up a rope without a formal complaint.

So for a formal complaint, you can have copyrighted material removed by a hosting company by filing a DMCA report with them, if they choose to honor it. Companies outside of the US need not comply, though they often will.

If the domain and/or content in question infringes on a trademark, you have other remedies, including ACPA. You will need a lawyer unless you know exactly what you're doing and are prepared to proceed pro se.

Registrars will not cancel a domain registration for copyright reasons without a court order, and that's likely much more than you're prepared to do over a simple copyright issue. Third-party hosts (MySpace, LiveJournal, etc.) will often respect DMCA, if uncontested, and remove the content. Otherwise, as I said, they'll point you at section 240 and politely ask you to deal with the drama on your own.

Yes, I do this for a living. But this is not legal advice. If you have been infringed, I recommend you consult an attorney in your area.

Mar 25 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Come on, Spock wasen't that bad to work with was he smile

Mar 25 06 03:11 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Thank you very much for the information, everyone.  I have passed on everything necessary to the copyright owner, and hopefully he'll be able to get something done.  This has been really helpful, and I appreciate all of you taking the time.

The image is on a hateful, revolting website, which is why I felt so urgent about it.

Mar 25 06 03:31 pm Link