Forums > General Industry > What days do you shoot on?

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

I get allot of models that can only shoot weekends.

I can sometimes do weekends, but this is my job and it's Mon-Fri - just like any other normal job.

I'm talking about paid shoots - not TFP/CD work.

What's your situation?

Mar 25 06 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

I tend to shoot mostly after 6pm on weekdays and weekends due to a regular 7-3:30pm gig...
I do carry my cam with me most of the time though... never know when that image will appear that you really want to capture!

Mar 25 06 08:56 am Link

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

Dark thirty in the morning...lol or so it seems.  Weekends, start shoots around 8 am OR  do 3pm or later.....unless we are shooting in shade or indoors.

Unfortunately, we have a day job!!  cant support ourselves on our passion..

Mar 25 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I do this as a hobby. So it is weekends, and perhaps weekday evenings.

Most models have jobs, but a lot are the service industry.

Trying to do M-F 9-5 seems like a challenge to me.

Mar 25 06 09:04 am Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Self-employed in the photo/writingg industry.

I work in the evenings and at night [my best tine to create] so it leaves my days free.   I inly have to schedule around other appointments.

Mar 25 06 09:11 am Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

I shoot or film everyday there's a gig - it's my FT job

Mar 25 06 09:21 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Sara Green wrote:
I shoot or film everyday there's a gig - it's my FT job

Funny, that would be my answer as well.

Mar 25 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

I really like to try and leave my weekends for my family time.
I want my kids to remember who I was when I'm gone - lol!

Mar 25 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Early in the morning.
Or late in the afternoon.
Or midday.
Sunrise.
Sunset.
At night.

My preference when shooting outdoors, which I prefer, is sunrise. Usually it's the weekend.

Mar 25 06 09:28 am Link

Model

_Kimberly

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I only shoot on weekdays, but apparently most people in my area are only free nights and week-ends...

Mar 25 06 09:44 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

TFP shoots are strictly weekends and or weeknights.  I am way too busy during the weekdays with work and going to castings or shoots that pay.

Mar 25 06 02:14 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

I usually shoot during the weekends. Just simply too busy during the week. However, I always make an exception or two.

Mar 25 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

In addition to my part-time portrait business, my wife and I run two other businesses and I have a day job as well, so I shoot any time I can fit it in.  Often that means weekends, but sometimes it means two a.m. on a weekday.  But many of the models I work with have multiple jobs and/or are students, and they keep weird hours too, so it all works out in the end.

Mar 25 06 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

I shoot anyday I have a shoot set up

Mar 25 06 02:23 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

F-ing Nuts Benny wrote:
I shoot anyday I have a shoot set up

yup me too. I try to shoot during the week but that doesn't always work. I prefer to shoot during the week to have time with family on weekends.

Mar 25 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I have a regular job Sun-Thu and shoot Fridays and Saturdays... photoshop and image prep 4-6 hours a day 7 days a week.

Mar 25 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Johnson Studios

Wausau, Wisconsin, US

Mostly on weekends, however if need be I will clear out a day during the week to shoot if need be.

Mar 25 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I work 168 hour weeks.

Luckily my boss allows me to sleep on the job.

Mar 25 06 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Johnson Studios

Wausau, Wisconsin, US

Lucky YOU!

Brian Diaz wrote:
I work 168 hour weeks.

Luckily my boss allows me to sleep on the job.

Mar 25 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Johnson Studios

Wausau, Wisconsin, US

More than likely the model has another job  (balancing modeling and the other job) and can only afford weekends.

Bill Tracy wrote:
I get allot of models that can only shoot weekends.

I can sometimes do weekends, but this is my job and it's Mon-Fri - just like any other normal job.

What's your situation?

Mar 25 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

One really bad thing for me about shooting on weekends is I get way more no shows on weekends.  And what really sucks is that me and my family are now stuck at home waiting for the model to show up.  This just happened yesterday. Paid shoot - no TFP/CD deal.

I also have someone scheduled for today, I called and left a message and emailed her on Thursday - so far no replies either way.  I'm guessing it's a no show.  But I hate to not be here if she shows up, and then I'm the no show.  And this is also a paid shoot.

It seems that when they have to take a day off work during the week, they tend to show up.

I think of it like going to the dentist and he's closed on the weekends.
What do you do? You take a day off work and go to the dentist.  You wouldn't ask the dentist if he could make an exception and open on a Sunday for just you.
Especially when the dentist is paying you - LOL!

Mar 26 06 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

Hey Bill,

I used to only shoot on the weekends but as I find this getting to be more of a business and less of a hobby I'm shifting things to weekdays... I'm in total agreement with you on the dentist parrallel....  I had an actor recently who had to reschedule and I said -  well, how about missing a morning of school? it's not like a shoot is a regular occurance and the mother said - well...I'm a teacher and I don't agree with that, besides - she's already missing a week due to rehearsals.... (jeez louise!)

Julia

ps.. - I agree though, weekend should be mainly for family and secondary for shooting - I will shoot on weekends (and preferrably those are paying gigs) but I don't want to lose every weekend - I have two children in all reality, they come first...

Mar 26 06 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Wes Adam

Somerset, New Jersey, US

FT Photographer.  Don't shoot I don't make money. I shoot when the client or model is available.  I do everything from babies to animals.

Mar 26 06 07:26 am Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
TFP shoots are strictly weekends and or weeknights.  I am way too busy during the weekdays with work and going to castings or shoots that pay.

DITTO!

Mar 26 06 07:27 am Link