Forums > General Industry > Images too high of a quality?

Photographer

JME Digital

Tampa, Florida, US

Has anyone ever told you that the CD images were to high of quality and they want you to make all 300 images lower resolution?

Mar 24 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Absolutely yes.  Since switching to all-digital photography three years ago I have frequently run into problems with identifying what resolution, image size, file format, color space, etc. best suit the needs of particular clients.  Knowledgeable clients tell me just what they want, but working with less-knowledgeable clients often involves spending a lot of time understanding their needs and educating them about what to ask for.

Mar 24 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

JME Digital wrote:
Has anyone ever told you that the CD images were to high of quality and they want you to make all 300 images lower resolution?

nope,
I would usually ask ahead of time what is needed so a thing like that doesn't happen.
Then again, if that did ever happen I don't know why they'd need all 300 redid, since they are probably not going to use all 300.
You should ask to personally redo only the ones they intend to use.
Would save time.

That does suck though.
Seems like you have a long night ahead of you.

Mar 24 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

JME Digital wrote:

(assuming you really mean electronic images and not print)

No, but I imagine it could happen depending on the intended use of the images like say a web shopping cart or something.

But, if they asked for that, I think they're trying to get you to do work that they should probably be doing but don't have the capability, ie photoshop or basic computer skills.

Mar 24 06 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

dncphotos wrote:
Seems like you have a long night ahead of you.

The free IrfanView program (http://www.irfanview.com/) will re-resolve 300 images in less than a minute.

Mar 24 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

I would just batch convert with photoshop.

Can't they make them smaller themselves?
They must be completely computer illiterate.

When I was doing graphic design for Billboard, the record companies would always send us their logos or images that they downloaded from the web.  I got so tired of explaining that we needed larger resolution images.

When I did get them too big, I just reduced them myself.

Mar 24 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

JME Digital

Tampa, Florida, US

I'm not planning on resizing all images. I would have a hell of a night doing that.

Thanks for the feedback...

Mar 24 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

JME Digital wrote:
I'm not planning on resizing all images. I would have a hell of a night doing that.

That's what batch actions are for.  You set it running, and go watch Three's Company.  By the time Chrissy has to confess their plan to Mr. Roper, your work is done.

Mar 24 06 02:27 pm Link