Forums > General Industry > BET "Rip the Runway" 2006

Photographer

Powell Ful Creations

Buffalo, New York, US

Anyone check out BET's Rip the Runway last night?
What did you think?

Mar 24 06 10:13 am Link

Makeup Artist

Make Up By Tierra

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think that it was a little HOOD, but overall I liked it, it was a lot better than last years!

Mar 24 06 10:15 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I had a meeting last night and could only see like five minutes.

From what I could tell... if that's the way they cut the show... then it's more erratic than when I was there shooting it.

When I was there covering it, I had the impression that it was definetly choreographed for film, because we can't shoot runway like that.

Now, from what I saw... if that's the style of the whole thing... it wasn't that much about the runway fashion, but really more about the entertainers and the models were rather accessories.

Didn't like it, but I will try to see the whole show tonight at the rerun.

Mar 24 06 10:19 am Link

Model

Yanique

BRONX, New York, US

UdoR wrote:
I had a meeting last night and could only see like five minutes.

From what I could tell... if that's the way they cut the show... then it's more erratic than when I was there shooting it.

When I was there covering it, I had the impression that it was definetly choreographed for film, because we can't shoot runway like that.

Now, from what I saw... if that's the style of the whole thing... it wasn't that much about the runway fashion, but really more about the entertainers and the models were rather accessories.

Didn't like it, but I will try to see the whole show tonight at the rerun.

Udor question for you I actually posted in another thread https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=37414 but how did they go about the casting for the models b/c the majority could not walk whatsoever?!

Mar 24 06 10:21 am Link

Model

Indigenocity

Missoula, Montana, US

It looked like a dress rehersal..

It's a great idea, and I love the energy and a lot of the designs were great.. (Go 'head Steve Harvey!!)  But they really need to re-think the runway design.. they really needed another strip in the middle for the performers..

Having the performers running around on the runway really messed up the flow.. models were bumping into eachother and there were beautiful traffic-jams all over the place..

LL and Gab didn't have the greatest chemistry either..

But lets see how they fine-tune it.

Mar 24 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Kerry Johnston wrote:

Udor question for you I actually posted in another thread https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=37414 but how did they go about the casting for the models b/c the majority could not walk whatsoever?!

Well, each designer casted for themself, some girls were walking for multiple designers.

Many of the girls are freelance models and some were agency models (Trump and others), some of the agency models I know on the runway walk in Olympus Fashionweek (the big one in NYC).

I think that the problem with the "walking" was that they weren't supposed to do a regular runway walk, but to the music and well... it was just a mess, and impossible to shoot coherently because of the position they put the photographers up etc., and well... was a mess.

Otherwise, I recognized and new a lot of the models, and the walk excellent on a real runway.

That... was not a fashionshow...

Mar 24 06 10:38 am Link

Model

Yanique

BRONX, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

Well, each designer casted for themself, some girls were walking for multiple designers.

Many of the girls are freelance models and some were agency models (Trump and others), some of the agency models I know on the runway walk in Olympus Fashionweek (the big one in NYC).

I think that the problem with the "walking" was that they weren't supposed to do a regular runway walk, but to the music and well... it was just a mess, and impossible to shoot coherently because of the position they put the photographers up etc., and well... was a mess.

Otherwise, I recognized and new a lot of the models, and the walk excellent on a real runway.

That... was not a fashionshow...

lol..no it was not!

Mar 24 06 10:40 am Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

Wow, should I be happy that I didn't actually see it?? wink
♀

Mar 24 06 11:05 am Link

Model

VeenaJ

New York, New York, US

I checked it out last night...

I actually liked many of the designs and found them quite wearable...(loved the men's suits)...

Overall, the concept was good...it was a good vibe overall with the musicians, models, and the screaming fans...

But that having been said -- it was obvious that there needed to be more rehearsals/choreography. Some of the girls couldn't walk very well, many were bumping into one another and the musicians. I agree that a separate strip could've been useful for the musicians.

It wasn't as polished as it could've been...but then again, it wasn't really a traditional fashion show and the emphasis was on "urban"   smile

Mar 24 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Quentin Guillory

Houston, Texas, US

it was ok, i enjoyed the performace and some fashions shown,  but as my wife and someone else here stated it was more about the music than the fashion.  I would have liked to see the male models show more spunk and attitute and the female models did well....some of them really got into it.. i was not happy with alot of the swimsuit but the Todd Smith line and the plus size(Sexy size) i thought where great... The idea behind it i think is great becasue alot of the urban style and fashion controls what alopt of the fashion industry doese even the fqshion in Ita;ly, paris and most overseas.  Just take a trip there?
So i like to see an outlet for urban designer, that focuses on them.  We need more of that.  I am bais here i am urban,hiphop, and was born and rasied in that culture and still an very involved in that culture.  So i enjoy seeing shows like this and hpe the support continuse and they are able to get better each year.

Mar 24 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

ironically the 2 standouts in the entire show we're mya (who recently signed to ford models) and julissa (network co-host and current "it" girl on the channel)

but its more of style and an ode to urban culture, so the emphasis on the walk and things like that are something thats under the bridge - swagger and atmosphere are more important over the walk and lines, but all in all it was spotty and sluggish at times, but started & ended well.

Mar 24 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Veena J wrote:
I actually liked many of the designs and found them quite wearable...(loved the men's suits)...

I actually liked a lot of the designs... and that's another thing that was a little bit annoying to me... the had so many models at the same time on stage, the photographers, and apparently the videocrews (didn't care enough I guess) werent able to focus on the garments itself...

So, from the five minutes I saw the finished show (remember I shot the taping of it) I felt that the designers got cheated a little bit for because you couldn't see each design clearly.

But, then again... I am talking as a runway shooter...

Mar 24 06 11:46 am Link

Model

7 Day Forum Suspension

Yes I was actually there in the audience that is lol, to check out n support my fellow Models and of course BET.......
https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/DYMEROSE/RTW2.jpg

Why wouldn't I be there its where Music & Fashion collide....and thats me Rose Andree aka Lady Rap

wink

Mar 24 06 11:51 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kelley Woods Makeup

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I liked it... Better than last year... Thing is I knew most of the models.. (crazy)...anywho, the clothes looked decent.( did I spell that right)...I guess its was the best for what it was, I mean it could have been worst......it was more of an Urban show anyways.....
I guess it kept its Class... and I really Liked LL's collection..... and every suit looked like Steve Harvey..so I guess that's a good thing...

Give it up to the big girls..... they say they are no longer called Plus size...lol.. they are called ' Sexy Size'..... LL..don't have no 'Sexy Size' woman....lolololol

Mar 24 06 11:51 am Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

I actually liked it, I agree that the models were walking a little off, but they did a good job from what I could see! I would actually love to be in it next year anyone know how I can accomplish that! LOL! (No seriously though)

Anyways my man was up there Bobby "BER" MM#13927 he looking so good "Ripping the Runway" too!

And the big girls definitely did their thing to, Im glad that they had that in the show, its good to show every size in fashion cause fashion doesnt just come in sizes 0-5!

Mar 24 06 12:43 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Kelley for Face Mode wrote:
I liked it... Better than last year... Thing is I knew most of the models.. (crazy)...anywho, the clothes looked decent.( did I spell that right)...I guess its was the best for what it was, I mean it could have been worst......it was more of an Urban show anyways.....
I guess it kept its Class... and I really Liked LL's collection..... and every suit looked like Steve Harvey..so I guess that's a good thing...

Give it up to the big girls..... they say they are no longer called Plus size...lol.. they are called ' Sexy Size'..... LL..don't have no 'Sexy Size' woman....lolololol

yeah i'm going to watch out for his next video to see if he puts some "size sexy" girls in his video lol hmm right

Mar 25 06 06:28 pm Link