Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

OK, I have found a word that I love.

Collaboration.
Not TFP, not testing, collaboration between a photographer, a model, an mua, and maybe a stylist (stylists usually prefer money to collaboration.)

The word has a very, oh how do they say it in sensitivity training, neutral tone to it.
It makes it easy to make clear you are not offering compensation, because in collaboration you work together as equals. Since I give very loose photographic releases, my new one states it must be credited to me if published and cannot net more than 5,000 either way (my sale/models sale) without proper compensation of 35% (for whomever did not do the selling.)

So no longer do I trade CD's for work, I collaborate with other artists!

And when I inquire as to whether a model would like to work with me, IO ask if she/he would like to collaborate!

Huzzah collaboration!
(you won't believe this, word's spell check recognized the word huzzah)

Jun 30 05 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

I agree ban the use of the letters in conjunction to spell TFP or TFCD.

I love your poetry, by the way.

Jun 30 05 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

TFP, or not TFP: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous models,
Or to take arms against a sea of GWCs,
And by opposing end them

Jun 30 05 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

TFP, or not TFP: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous models,
Or to take arms against a sea of GWCs,
And by opposing end them

Spoken like a true artist!

Jun 30 05 09:20 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

or at least like someone who has read Shakespeare...

Jun 30 05 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Sounds like STAR is trying to sugarcoat a shitlog. TFP, Collaboration, Test, TFCD, in the end they all mean the same thing. You're either gonna do it or you're not. I'm not a fan of any of that type of work, but I feel like I should give back to the community that has helped me reach the point where I am today.

If I have the time and the model shows potential, we can shoot. If she doesn't want to pay me, she'll at least have to pay for studio time, unless she wants to shoot, change clothes, and do makeup in the streets. I'm okay with that as well.

Holla

Jun 30 05 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Star: 

Huzzah collaboration!

Plus, "collaborate with other artists" is also VERY accurate in conjuring the image of a bunch of piss-poor hippies with no money panhandling on Venice Beach. Which is exactly where my "photography" will lead me if I do TFP for too long.

Yup. So, I agree. Collaborate IS very accurate.

(You know I'm a sarcastic bastard, Star. Even if I'm "bustin' yo' balls a lil' bit" I still love you anyway.)

P.S. I think it's okay to type "screw" in a headline. No need to asterisk it out. Although, I do admire your class.

Jun 30 05 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 
Sounds like STAR is trying to sugarcoat a shitlog. TFP, Collaboration, Test, TFCD, in the end they all mean the same thing. You're either gonna do it or you're not. I'm not a fan of any of that type of work, but I feel like I should give back to the community that has helped me reach the point where I am today.

If I have the time and the model shows potential, we can shoot. If she doesn't want to pay me, she'll at least have to pay for studio time, unless she wants to shoot, change clothes, and do makeup in the streets. I'm okay with that as well.

Holla

No, for those of us who contact models, and vice versa, what I am saying is to ask if someone would like to collaborate with you, rather than shoot with you (which is a badly defined open ended question.) Over and over people in these forums complain about communication, I was just sharing my new communication tool.

Oh, and EMG my name is Star, not STAR. It is my given name, not a pretentious affectation. I am named after my grandfather's sister and brother, Star Rae. Backwards that's rat's ear...

Jun 30 05 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Lapis: 

You're trying to get me to hijack Star's thread, aren't you?

Well it's not going to work Lapis...

(OK one more).

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
    Thou art thyself, though not a TFP.
    What's TFP? it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
    What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet;
    So paying shoot would, were it not paying shoot call'd,
    Retain that dear perfection which it owes
    Without that title. Paying shoot, doff thy name,
    And for that name which is no part of thee
    Take all myself.

Jun 30 05 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Lapis: 

I think Star would appreciate the art work and poetry.

Why, then, O brawling love! O loving hate! O TFP I do hate!
O any thing, of nothing first create!  O any thing but TFP!
O heavy lightness! serious vanity!
Mis-shapen chaos of well-seeming forms!
Feather of lead, bright smoke, cold fire,
sick health!
Still-waking sleep, that is not what it is!
This love feel I, that feel no love in this.
==========================
I, me sad hours seem long for I have TFP morrow.

From Romeo and Juliet

====
And finally,
The moon
Is shining in the sky
Reminding me
Of so many other nights
But they're not like tonight
For tonight I get paid,

Oh God, it's raining
And I'm not containing
My pleasure at being
So wet or paid,

Here on my own
All on my own
How good it feels to be paid
Tonight

And I haven't felt so alive
In years

From Black Celebration-D.P.

Jun 30 05 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Star: 

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 

Holla

No, for those of us who contact models, and vice versa, what I am saying is to ask if someone would like to collaborate with you, rather than shoot with you (which is a badly defined open ended question.) Over and over people in these forums complain about communication, I was just sharing my new communication tool.

Oh, and EMG my name is Star, not STAR. It is my given name, not a pretentious affectation. I am named after my grandfather's sister and brother, Star Rae. Backwards that's rat's ear...

Of course, some didn't get it. Lol.

Jun 30 05 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Star

you treacherous, lecherous, GWC!

Jun 30 05 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Star: 
Star Rae. Backwards that's rat's ear...

I think Ear Rats sounds creepier

Jun 30 05 11:26 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

It's all semantics.

When someone contacts me to "collaborate," I'm annoyed that they chose to mince words. They want me to work with them for prints. They rarely really want a full collaborator.

Jun 30 05 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by theda: 
It's all semantics.

When someone contacts me to "collaborate," I'm annoyed that they chose to mince words. They want me to work with them for prints. They rarely really want a full collaborator.

I did,  well at least with paying the check for the margaritas.

No but seriously,  I would do so with you but not most.

Jul 01 05 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Star

Posted by theda: 
It's all semantics.

I do, but most I contact I contact cause they have something special. Maybe its cause I am a wuss, but I don't know. I'm not God playing with live dolls...
I notice photographers like to blame models, but more rarely do I notice photographers saying wow my Model was so good!

Jul 01 05 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by theda: 
It's all semantics.

I'll be your huckleberry.

Jul 01 05 12:07 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by theda: 
It's all semantics.

Not me. If I had a dime for every model who said they could fully collaborate in the design and composition of the shot from the camera perspective...well, I'd have a dime, but I'd be one happy mf to be able to say we really did collaborate and show off the images.

Jul 01 05 12:08 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Star: 

Oh great. Now what?

Jul 01 05 12:09 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by theda: 
It's all semantics.

I don't mince words.

Like when I tell Theda I want to collaborate, I don't mean TFP. What I actually mean is, "make babies with the ferocity of bunnyrabbits on angeldust." But I think that's pretty clearly implied in the word collaborate, no?

Jul 01 05 12:10 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 
Like when I tell Theda I want to collaborate, I don't mean TFP. What I actually mean is, "make babies with the ferocity of bunnyrabbits on angeldust." But I think that's pretty clearly implied in the word collaborate, no?

Totally.

I think Star wants to copulate with the ferocity of bunnyrabbits on angeldust witht he models.

Jul 01 05 12:12 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 

Holla

Well actually, no, they don't mean the same thing. ...Well maybe TFP & TFCD mean the same... ...and collaboration is a pretty lose and general term (not necessarily bad really).

Jul 01 05 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Star

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Star: 

Oh great. Now what?

I was misquoting Shakespeare, his greatest insults...

Jul 01 05 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Poetry sucks ass.

so much depends on a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens.

See? 
Wasn't that a waste of time?
And what's with all the stupid breaking up of words...?
God.
What a waste.

Jul 01 05 01:23 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by BlacklistVisual: 
Poetry sucks ass.

so much depends on a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens.

See? 
Wasn't that a waste of time?
And what's with all the stupid breaking up of words...?
God.
What a waste.

You are very angry to be stuck in Utah, aren't you...

Jul 01 05 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Gotta Love That!!

Posted by Chris Ambler: 

I'll be your huckleberry.

Jul 01 05 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

"Collaboration" is a word I'll only use with models who I believe will add something extra to an idea or shoot, usually more experienced models or those whom I've shot before that have definite ideas inside them. Using the term with inexperienced models might imply something else in their young minds, or they may not grasp the implications that come with true collaboration. If you are indeed an artist and the model is as well, then the term should be used liberally, to attract a certain level of talent.

TFP TFCD are widely-used terms, and not likely to be replaced in the big picture. Maybe we should also redefine "model" and "photographer" to separate other classes of collaborators.

Jul 01 05 09:39 am Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Posted by Star: 

I am lecherous but not treacherous! Get it straight!

GWC!

Jul 01 05 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by GWC: 

Posted by Star: 

I am lecherous but not treacherous! Get it straight!

GWC!

I know really,  the nerve of some people.

GWC, 
Let me buy you a drink

Jul 01 05 10:21 am Link

Model

ErinTheArtist

Oakland, California, US

Posted by theda: 
It's all semantics.

And this is true....most of the time. Most of the images I have done with my main photog....I can come up with the props, the idea, and the mood, the makeup and hair I do myself...but I trust him to get the lighting right and the composition down for the shot. This is a true collaboration where I can get the idea out of my mind and in 2-D form. Yes, I need him very much...but he needs me just as much...

The times I do not like the "collaboration" is when I show up to a shoot, and the photog just says GO. I'm supposed to come up with everything....just jump into character and get great shots when we do not even discuss the idea, the mood or anything! You can get a million mediocre shots, with one or two that are close enough.My boyfriend is a photog and I do know about lighting and how important it is to get it right or to have it at all. My time is just as important as the photog seeing as I am the subject.

I talk with my main photog about the idea...and what encompasses that idea and he can create the lighting best fit for it. I just wish there was more sharred between the photog and the model and that there wasn't this awkward feeling when you show up and start working with new people. I am pretty open...even on a first shoot to talk about my end, I figure the more open a photog is to collaboration, AND TRUE COLLABORATION, the better the shots will be.

Sorry I wrote a book over here!!!!

Jul 01 05 11:33 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by ErinTheArtist: 
Sorry I wrote a book over here!!!!

I'm hoping the movie comes out soon...

Jul 01 05 11:38 am Link

Photographer

MS Photo Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by theda: 
It's all semantics.

Very true. Rarely do I work with the model on an idea for the shoot (actually never). I will collaborate with the model to get the posing right.

mike

Jul 01 05 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Joseph R. Davis

This is one of the strangest things I have ever read. It started off normal enough and just snowballed.

Jul 01 05 11:46 am Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

I agree! LOL But it sure is fun to read! tongue

Jul 01 05 11:49 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Joseph R. Davis: 
This is one of the strangest things I have ever read. It started off normal enough and just snowballed.

You haven't spent much time in the forums here, have you?

Jul 01 05 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Nazarko

Lebanon, New Jersey, US

Posted by Star: 

And when I inquire as to whether a model would like to work with me, IO ask if she/he would like to collaborate!

Huzzah collaboration!

My position exactly.  In terms of shooting models in studios with total control lighting, I had nothing to show.  Had to start somewhere.  But since I had a lot of stuff on a few travel stock sites and general stock sites, there was always a shot that I could make a bit of money if we all thought very commercially, and tried to create stuff that we knew was being looked for and not found.  Because I'm as a photographer also much more used to documenting, I needed to have models who could improv off of what direction I could give.

So, I have called it a collaboration.  And as any collaboration, both parties profit if it works, I'll share a portion of net stock revenue with the model in the image in question.  I bear the most risk, putting up the cash for the shoot, so the model's share is small.  I've done this for a long time in my fine art work (juried show prizes and gallery sales), and it kind of feels good to cut a couple checks each quarter.  Makes me not at all shy about using the word collaboration.  Stock has always been a longshot, but so is most of life.

So I applaud collaboration.  To make the concept complete, if you make a direct profit on an identifiable image, share the wealth.

Jul 01 05 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Posted by theda: 
It's all semantics.

I feel the same way about language in general.  I remember when it was OK to refer to someone as "retarded".  The latest repleacement term I've heard is "person with mental retardation".  Nine syllables up from three, but we call it "progress".  BS.

Jul 01 05 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Posted by LarryB: 

Posted by theda: 
It's all semantics.

I feel the same way about language in general.  I remember when it was OK to refer to someone as "retarded".  The latest repleacement term I've heard is "person with mental retardation".  Nine syllables up from three, but we call it "progress".  BS.

I just call them neoconservatives.

Jul 01 05 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Star

On my shoots, so much depends on the MUA working with the model. Sometimes it doesn't work, and those shots don't get put up, or I photoshop the hell out of them to make lipstick colors look right and what not.
While I have provided props and wardrobe, most models bring a lot of their own stuff. If I take that stuff and place it in new ways...

Maybe my shoots aren't sufficiently set up. Usually my concept will be something like, I want kind of a 1930's clockwork orange thing, can we pincurl her hair and give her an extra eye lash on the bottom. That doesn't seem too helpful to me, but sometimes the makeup artist just gets what I'm asking and the model finds a way to really play into it.

I approach models for one of two reasons,
1. the work in their port shows not only a beautiful or unusual model but  a range of emotion that I am trying to fill into my portfolio. I want models who can give me something with their eyes
or (btw, I'm in the hallway of my loft complex and someone has their TV turned on very loud so all I can hear is this woman screaming no, no, no, as I describe what I do)
2. they might have almost no work in their port, but their face just wants me to photograph it

I don't know if I completely agree with this, but an art photographer, once told me that overthinking your concept is not the way to create art.

The models and mua we work with have a great contribution to the work. That is why the really good ones have even photographers who say they only work for money agree to TFCD with them.

We might create a concept, gothic sleeping beauty with her lesbian prince anyone, lighting, and the eventual image; but sometimes the smallest change in an eyelash, the pose you didn't think of, a qusetion that opens new possibilities.

This argument over the amount of credit a model has in the finished art piece has been going on for centuries. There are artists who say they could not create without their muses, and other who call them nothing more than manequins.

Also, I like collaboration cause it seems tacky to say, hey saw your port want to tfcd some time?

I leave you with a quote fromthe greatest of writing achievments
Caroline in the City,

"After she left, I couldn't paint anymore."      Richard

"Oh, she broke you heart?"       Caroline

"No she broke my brushes,
of COURSE she broke my heart."      Richard

Jul 01 05 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I guess it's safe to say I don't collaborate because I'm not an artist. I'm a photographer and I'm concerned; maybe more than many of the models I shot with, to get a usable image. I stopped planning shoots ahead of time a long time ago. Model:I have a great a idea! Me:Great we'll shoot it afterwards. Unless of course they are paying the top dollar.

STAR or Star, great you have a unique government name. It wasn't a play on words, it was me addressing you in a step up to the microphone kind of way.

You guys can continue to collaborate. I'll continue to shoot and create pretty decent images. I almost feel like the model can be asleep during the shoot and I'll still get something hot. I feel like I've done that for the majority of time I've been shooting.

I'm not serious enough to be collaborating. If we get the shot, we get it, if we don't - that's fine too.

Holla

Jul 01 05 06:32 pm Link