Forums > General Industry > Who pays for whom?

Photographer

Samurai B

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

What do peeps think? If you are contacted for potential paid work, what is the general concesious? Is it the contactER who should pay? Or the contactEE?

Personally, I think if I am contacted for a potential shoot, then it should be the person who contacts me who pays.

I ask this because I was contacted on another site with regards to a shoot. The model said nothing in their initial mail about any sort of compensation, so I replied (once again, i didn't mention any payment etc.) and when I got a mail back from the model, she gave me some time slots and a great long price list!

um...

SB

Mar 23 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

3 important words:

No, thank you.

Mar 23 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

I frequently get emails from models seeking paid work.  I want to get those emails, because I am always interested in professional models.  Those emails work, since I do sometimes hire models who have contacted me in that way.

Also I spend a significant amount each year advertising my professional services.  I don't advertise by email (except by invitation), but I understand that doing business involves contacting potential clients about your services.

Mar 23 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

My rule of thumb is that the person who retains the copyright should compensate the other participants, regardless of who initiated the conversation.

Mar 23 06 06:45 pm Link