Forums > General Industry > What's the deal people?

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

Ok now I know my work doesn't suck so what's going on here? Am I the only one that get's ignored on the forums when I post my work for feed back? I'm starting to think if you don't shoot the normal fashion glamour or nude you get ignored on this site. Is that really how things work on here? Isn't a good picture a good picture?

Mar 23 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Actually, I like your work.  I just never critique the work of others.  I always worry that I will be taken seriously and then we'll ruin a friendship.

Mar 23 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

If models are happy to work with you after viewing your portfolio, what else do you truly need?

Mar 23 06 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

It is hard to get good critiques from forums where people have to log in, and so can't be anonymous.  If you want honest (and not always constructive) feedback, ask on Craigslist.

Mar 23 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Hey Rafael;

I stay out of the critique forums, unless I see an interesting headline popping up at the front page.

I don't like to give "critique" and I don't ask for it, unless I have a specific question.

As photographers, we don't get the same amount of image views or even close the amount of image comments than the same picture has on the models profile.

It's how it is.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, seriously.

Also, you will find even here photographers and models who either like your style or they don't.

Different opinions and tastes.

If you have your own style, and are aware of it... I would shoot for yourself, knowing that there are people out there that will like your work.

So, mostly, the opinions of members and moderators on your images are mostly useless.

You'll be happier if you don't ask... and do your own thing.

Good luck

Udo

EDIT: Of course, there is one thing that is important for feedback... if you want to use them commercially, for print or agencies... then you should ask to see what the industry is looking for. But for your normal art photography, editorial stuff...  care for yourself only.

Mar 23 06 03:08 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:
You'll be happier if you don't ask... and do your own thing.

Udo

Couldn't agree more!!

♀

Mar 23 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

elisaveta ♀ wrote:
Couldn't agree more!!

♀

What??? Another post without your new smileys???

What's going on E?

Are those funny-ones on strike or what?

Miss those little critters... wink

Mar 23 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Thanks people I normaly don't ask for a critique but sometimes when 'm trying something new feed back from people is is more than welcome. I rarely shoot with "models" just because that's not really my style and the only reason I'm on this site is just to make sure people know who I am and what I do. But anyway thanks for the responces atleast I know I'm not justing being ignored lol.

Mar 23 06 03:19 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

What??? Another post without your new smileys???

What's going on E?

Are those funny-ones on strike or what?

Miss those little critters... wink

If you insist...
https://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_18_102.gif

And Rafael, you do some great work, people just DON'T GET IT!!!! Don't worry about it!!
"Lost in thought" is an amazing photograph, my fave so far...I'll be checking your work often... smile

♀

Mar 23 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Rafael  Alvarez wrote:
Thanks people I normaly don't ask for a critique but sometimes when 'm trying something new feed back from people is is more than welcome. I rarely shoot with "models" just because that's not really my style and the only reason I'm on this site is just to make sure people know who I am and what I do. But anyway thanks for the responces atleast I know I'm not justing being ignored lol.

Well, I like your work too Rafael;

See, although I am working a lot in fashion and runway... models are only ONE of many subjects I am working with... however, here on MM, I post industry related work only... Danny Glover, the princess of Morocco or a lobster bisque or firefighters in NYC just don't have place on here... and I almost prefer those over many other topics...

For Elisaveta:

Thank you Muffinova... now I feel better, after seeing that your smileys are still working with you... big_smile

Mar 23 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Perhaps you are asking too timidly?  As with other experiences in life, if you go about asking for something, people will ignore you.  But try taking a stance.  Post, "My photos are better than yours," and you will get lots of critiques, and in some detail too.  Try it--and run for cover.  The bold are not ignored.

Mar 23 06 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

phcorcoran wrote:
Perhaps you are asking too timidly?  As with other experiences in life, if you go about asking for something, people will ignore you.  But try taking a stance.  Post, "My photos are better than yours," and you will get lots of critiques, and in some detail too.  Try it--and run for cover.  The bold are not ignored.

That just gets people all up in arms and then they bash your work just because they feel you did that to theirs. Kind of like when we flip out and say mean shit to friends that hurt our feelings. We don't really mean it but we do it just to be an asshole lol. That's not my goal here lol.

Mar 23 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Trunkmonkey

Arlington, Texas, US

I haven't critiqued anybodys work because I'm so new to the industry if I said something didn't really speak to me it would be like an experienced model / photographer telling me how to interpret EIA TIA 222 G.  But here goes (my first critique)

I liked your portfolio because you are catching people actually DOING things other than posing.  I can't really tell if you've retouched anything but if you have you've concealed it fairly well at least to my eye.  There's good action and good emotion in there so overall I'd be happy to have work like that in my portfolio in the near future.

In fact I have been giving a lot of thought towards what direction I want to go with my learning curve and one of the things I'd really like to do is work whether it's posed or not LOOKING like natural people doing normal things.

so, for you I'm going to give a https://www.capitalj.com/images/ftjicons/beer.gifhttps://www.capitalj.com/images/ftjicons/beer.gifhttps://www.capitalj.com/images/ftjicons/beer.gifhttps://www.capitalj.com/images/ftjicons/beer.gif and a thumbs up smile

Mar 23 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Mar 23 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

BlackRing37 wrote:
I haven't critiqued anybodys work because I'm so new to the industry if I said something didn't really speak to me it would be like an experienced model / photographer telling me how to interpret EIA TIA 222 G.  But here goes (my first critique)

I liked your portfolio because you are catching people actually DOING things other than posing.  I can't really tell if you've retouched anything but if you have you've concealed it fairly well at least to my eye.  There's good action and good emotion in there so overall I'd be happy to have work like that in my portfolio in the near future.

In fact I have been giving a lot of thought towards what direction I want to go with my learning curve and one of the things I'd really like to do is work whether it's posed or not LOOKING like natural people doing normal things.

so, for you I'm going to give a https://www.capitalj.com/images/ftjicons/beer.gifhttps://www.capitalj.com/images/ftjicons/beer.gifhttps://www.capitalj.com/images/ftjicons/beer.gifhttps://www.capitalj.com/images/ftjicons/beer.gif and a thumbs up smile

lol thanks bro smile and good luck with the photography I'm sure you'll get what you want out of it if you hang in there.

Mar 23 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Consider no response a good thing!...  Far worse has happened in that dark, dark place!!!!

Mar 23 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Keyronn wrote:
Consider no response a good thing!...  Far worse has happened in that dark, dark place!!!!

like what? lol

Mar 23 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Rafael  Alvarez wrote:
That just gets people all up in arms and then they bash your work just because they feel you did that to theirs.

Anytime you put your work out in public you'd better have a thick skin and a few bandages handy.  It's either be ignored or be assaulted.  Praise is always scarce.

Mar 23 06 05:14 pm Link

Artist/Painter

T.C.COR

Warren, Michigan, US

This is MODEL MAYHEM not photographer Mayhem.I beleive this site was created for models and the like or any who are into that kind of feild. But your work is good.

This is not a slam on anyone nor am I tryin to be rude.

t.c.cor

Mar 23 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

phcorcoran wrote:

Anytime you put your work out in public you'd better have a thick skin and a few bandages handy.  It's either be ignored or be assaulted.  Praise is always scarce.

I expect the worse when asking for feedback and that's fine. Why go looking for nothing but insults about your work. That's not feedback that's an attack with no backing. If I ask for feedback I'm looking to expand my skills and talent not get into a pissing match with the people that got offended with me.

Mar 23 06 06:06 pm Link