Forums > General Industry > poll: If a workshop were available

Makeup Artist

MakeoverMajic

Appleton, Wisconsin, US

what type of workshops would you like to attend.... not going by the person specifically holding the workshop just the content it provided.

for examples:

Models --- posing , wardrobe selection, 

Photographers-- lighting or  posing......

hair and makeup--- new techniques  creative painting

I dont want those specific anwswers neccesarily those are just some examples of what i mean...

Im working on a project and was just curious what areas everyone felt like were important topics that you would like to learn more about  to improve or add to your knowledge base of your craft.

Thanks in advance for your participation in this post.
Anna

Mar 22 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Marketing.

Mar 22 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

MakeoverMajic wrote:
what type of workshops would you like to attend.... not going by the person specifically holding the workshop just the content it provided.

for examples:

Models --- posing , wardrobe selection, 

Photographers-- lighting or  posing......

I dont want those specific anwswers neccesarily those are just some examples of what i mean...

Im working on a project and was just curious what areas everyone felt like were important topics that you would like to learn more about  to improve or add to your knowledge base of your craft.

Thanks in advance for your participation in this post.
Anna

Hey Anna!

I'd actually like to do any and all of those workshops. I'd like to have a better understanding of makeup techniques to have better control of my image and to communicate more effectively with the make-up artist.

I'm always intersted in learning more about lighting and posing and bringing out the best in a model.  I'd also like to learn a bit more a styliing as I find it very hard to find a good stylist in my area.

Mar 22 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

SFlickPhoto

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I used to host a local monthy workshop/photoshoot.  Turnout was usually good. (10-15 photogs and about 7-10 models - however the swimsuit shoot that was co-hosted by egoswimwear.com was a huge turnout!)

What it consisted of...

Group of models and photogs getting together for a day to work with a variety of people to enhance their portfolios. 

Usually had 1-2 MUA's on hand (paid them minimal amounts to be there but photog's supplied them with images for their personal portfolio)

Some people were beginners other were seasoned pro's.  It was a great learning tool and creative outlet. 

Occassionally we would have an agent or a photography supplier stop by for a demo or scouting.

Mar 22 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

I've been to a couple of workshops.  I think the most important thing I learned wasn't a stated goal of the workshop but a byproduct.

It was communication with the subject.  Without the ability to effectively communicate the shoot breaks down.  It doesn't matter if you've got a great pose in mind if you can't communicate it to the subject.

Lighting techniques can be learned from a book and experimentation.  Communication is observed.

Mar 22 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Simple:  I would only be interested in a workshop if it provided something to me that I couldn't get on my own or if it taught me something I don't know but want to learn.  I'm a pretty independent kind of guy, and I can figure out lots of stuff on my own, so there aren't that many workshops that would attract me.

So, that being said, I could be interested in workshops like this:

>>> Helping me improve the quality of my digital images.  I'm very good
         (not great) with film & paper, but my digital images are lagging behind.

>>> Unusual & interesting locations for nude photography, plus ideas on
         how to better integrate figures into locations.

>>> Figuring out how to learn new & interesting styles of photography.

I'm a big, big advocate of networking with other local models & photographers & stylists -- I trade ideas with dozens of local folks, so I get what I need without workshops.

Mar 22 06 12:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MakeoverMajic

Appleton, Wisconsin, US

well the purpose of this post is not to say anyone needs anything...

its to see what types of workshops would be interesting to people in our field of work...

of course you can read about any field and learn from books anytime...

you can learn from experimentation as well... but if someone already figured out a way to do something and they are willing to share that information and save you hours of trial and error in the process...

Life is about learning and growing and sometimes a simple idea can spark creativity or complete a issue  that you have been struggling with.

Mar 22 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Marketing.

I second that.

While it would be helpful to know more tips on lighting and such, I feel like that can be more easily learned -and with fewer consequences- on my own.  Marketing myself as a photographer would be much more beneficial...

Mar 23 06 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Trunkmonkey

Arlington, Texas, US

Marketing would be a good addition but, from experience, I can tell you that marketing boils down to something as simple as 'give the masses what they want and in your spare time do what you want'. 

I know that's bovine excrement but I learned from the masters of marketing aka Philip Morris USA.

Thats why sex sells ladies and gentlemen

oh and for myself.. photography techniques

Mar 23 06 09:03 pm Link

Model

Katarzyna

Fairfield, New Jersey, US

all those workshops would be great!.. they would give everyone sucha better understanding of this wonderful market and make things simpler!

Mar 23 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

BlackRing37 wrote:
Marketing would be a good addition but, from experience, I can tell you that marketing boils down to something as simple as 'give the masses what they want and in your spare time do what you want'. 

I know that's bovine excrement but I learned from the masters of marketing aka Philip Morris USA.

Thats why sex sells ladies and gentlemen

From a content standpoint, sure, but I mean in a sense of methods to get your work in front of the people who need to see it.  And sure, many people know the basics on that, but a workshop on the finer points would be helpful.

Mar 23 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler Photo Arts

Breezy Point, Minnesota, US

MakeoverMajic wrote:

Anna

Yeah, that and to network with other photographers.  It's nice to talk shop and watch others work.

Mar 23 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Trunkmonkey

Arlington, Texas, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

From a content standpoint, sure, but I mean in a sense of methods to get your work in front of the people who need to see it.  And sure, many people know the basics on that, but a workshop on the finer points would be helpful.

concur, believe me I totally agree with you, but I also know that you're not going to make bank unless you are willing to be 'commercial' or a 'sellout' to the 'true artists' out there.  Networking would be the greatest benefit of a workshop or seminar especially if it was done correctly. 

The people with the bucks are the ones that control what sells and they generally have preconceived notions regardless of your opinion what is 'sellable' and what isn't. 

Trust me on this. When I was in the music industry I knew a lot of people who were more sellable than Shaneked Twain or Tim McFlaw.  The thing is that they were willing to, for lack of a better word, 'sell out' to make it big.  Not so much in Tims case because Shaneked is a no talent hack with big tits who couldn't write crap if you spotted her the r and the a. 

Tim, on the other hand, was willing to eat some doo doo until he could control his destiny. 

Just a little food for thought.  This is a totally new genre of art / entertainment for me but I have been around the block once or twice.

Mar 23 06 09:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MakeoverMajic

Appleton, Wisconsin, US

good input people ... Thanks and  just so everyone knows the above samples are just off the top of my head not neccessarily something  definate just something to get the process of replies started... but thank you for your input.
Anna

Mar 23 06 10:25 pm Link