Forums > General Industry > photographer supplied wardrobe

Photographer

Time to Shoot

Arlington, Virginia, US

Other than photographers who specialize in "model photography", what do "general" photogs do re: wardrobe? I've had a few models say that all the wardrobe was supplied by the photog, some say they have a few things/ideas and others who have extensive wardrobes?  I guess it depends to some degree on the subject of the shoot. But if I want to do more modelling photography should I invest more heavily in costumes?

Mar 22 06 08:02 am Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Well I have a vast amount of things just incase the model shows up with a bag of black outfits..yes it has happened. I have shoes from size 7 to 9 and I always have new stockings that if a model puts them on she keeps them. I keep a few outfits around but I have found after you shoot a model in an outfit I don't like to use it again. You should also have props around like hats, gloves stuff like that.

Mike

Mar 22 06 08:08 am Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

If I were you I would build up a collection of things as you need them. I shoot for clothing designers so I get outfits all the time.

Mike

Mar 22 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

JSVPhotography

Madison, Wisconsin, US

On your page you say: "I have several projects in mind and am looking for models to collaborate with. We work together on themes like, the nude at Great Falls, Dutch Master lighting, pin-up, fetish, goth and studio nudes"...

So I'd say Yes, start to gather these things. You don't need to have everything all at once but there could be some standard items that fit into some of the themes you describe. THRIFT stores are a wonderful source for these items as well as ebay. Work with some of your models on the theme and study the types of outfits that were used in some of the originals. You do not HAVE to provide these things but if you are wishing to shoot these themes and have some of the items around - your chances might be better or interest some of the models that you work with.

Mar 22 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

I do almost all of my own styling.  Many times I work with what the model brings; sometimes I pick up items.  It all depends.  I think I do a decent job at it and I certainly enjoy styling, but I'm better at what I do with a camera.

My recommendation?

Use stylists!  Your focus (no pun intended) will always be on the photography side.  Their focus is specifically on clothes and outfits.  They know people and places from which to get clothing and normally have a better eye for what a given situation requires than most photographers do.  Sure, it's good to have items on hand or pick up a specific piece to use, but there's a reason why such a position even exists.  Trust me, it's easier to work with stylist than to spend time worrying about the clothing.  And the money that you'd use to invest heavily in wardrobe could be spent on more/better photography equipment. 

And to be clear about it, I am taking my own advice and will begin working with a stylist this month...

Mar 22 06 08:26 am Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

If I have a specific theme in mind, I go out and purchase clothes that will fit into what I'm working on. If a model approaches me about a particular kind of theme, it's her job to purchase them, or find a stylist who has that particular look.

I've seriously contemplated using a stylist, but one of the biggest problems I've found is that most of the items look like they belong in a rap video, or on the street corner in Las Vegas. So, like someone said above me, I'm beginning to look in thrift stores, garage sales (now that it's spring), and when I get a few extra dollars, department stores, if something catches my eye.

Mar 22 06 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

Long Branch, New Jersey, US

I provide wardrobe for almost all my shoots along with hairstyle that I do for my models but it's because I want a total retro look.  This seems almost common with us retro photographers.   Mark Lacy and KoolGirlieStuff does the same.  It's easier for me if I know what I'm shooting before the model shows up.  I can plan my ideas around outfits etc.  I have a huge amount of vintage and modern day pin-up clothing for models to use when working with me.

Mar 22 06 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Powell Ful Creations

Buffalo, New York, US

I posted a question like this awhile back...it may help you out.
https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=18366

Mar 22 06 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Elaine Dunn

New York, New York, US

Stylists are really hard to find in NYC. I still haven't worked with one that I liked, so I had to do everything myself. Luckily, I am a woman, so I have an arsenal of clothing, but I like to get pieces specific to the shoot. H&M is great.

You might even consider having a kit of basic makeup on set, too.

Mar 22 06 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Joanns

Redmond, Washington, US

When I shoot, it's 50/50. My model usually brings something she/he wants to be photographed in and I always have ideas of what I want to do at a shoot so I'll get the wardrobe and accessories together to make the image complete. I have a 5 year old coming on Saturday and I will style her from head to toe, just like I do with my still life photography.

Mar 22 06 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Wolfs Eye Photography

Wills Point, Texas, US

Here's an interesting thread.
Speaking for myself, I don't have a buildup of props yet. So I will try and explain the idea or concept to a model and see what we can come up with for wardrobe.
Currently my main idea is a romantic idea outdoors. So when I find a model to work with I would rather see her in her own outfits as it lends to her personality I believe.

I like interaction with the model as to building on a theme or idea.

Mar 23 06 09:54 am Link