Forums > General Industry > I want to move to Georgia Next year..how is it?

Model

Semora

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

Can someone let me know the pro's and cons of georgia!? ATL area? I am in the process of opening up a design house down there and thinking of moving there..any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
or comment
www.myspace.com/semora

Mar 21 06 01:38 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Semora? Cool name. Anyways, Ga is alright. Modeling scene is way too urban if ya ask me. If you do model be prepared ot go to casting calls where they look for "big booty chicks"
Small buisnesses do thrive out here though. They call it the new black capital of the U.S Cost of living is not too high, but taxes are outrageous!

Home of Bobby and Whitney, the Runaway Bride and Morehouse College. (Hello boys!  smile

Mar 21 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Semora wrote:
Can someone let me know the pro's and cons of georgia!? ATL area? I am in the process of opening up a design house down there and thinking of moving there..any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
or comment
www.myspace.com/semora

Nice place. You can get all the peaches you can eat. Or is it peacha?

Mar 21 06 02:39 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I love living in Atlanta.  Great museum, fabulous restaurants, and plenty of creative and talented people. 

I should go get a job at the chamber of commerce...lol:-)

Mar 21 06 02:46 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Short: Atlanta is a nice town
Long (you choose which are the Pros and which are the Cons wink
Probably a good place to raise a family
Inexpensive real estate
Airport isn’t as big a deal as some make it out to be
Will feel small very quickly – smaller than Houston and LA
Spread out – very suburban
College town – Georgia State, Georgia Tech, etc
Public transport is not bad “for the southâ€? but the driving is crazy
As far as this market, the industry is very urban (big reason for why I moved)
Weather is similar to Charlotte or Nashville
As with any place, there are very bad parts of town, so steer clear of those

Mar 21 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

It rains a lot in Atlanta, and if you move to savannah be careful of if the house is upwind or downwind from the paper plants, they STINK!

Mar 21 06 02:49 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It really doesn't rain alot here?  Not sure where that one came from.  I've lived here 5 years and the rainfall has been quite average in comparison with the rest of the south.

As for real estate costs, maybe inexpensive compared to Los Angeles but not compared to the rest of the south.  I own property and work in real estate and the cost to buy in this city is quite high.

The suburbs are seperate cities, housing costs are cheaper there for a reason.

Mar 21 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

and plenty of peaches too. or is it peacha?

Mar 21 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I think you will find just about anything you are looking for! We lived there 15 years and if you can put up with the idiot drivers then that's a good thing! Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Falcons....mountains are not that far.

Mar 21 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

EyeBully

New York, New York, US

Driving...HORRIBLE! Takes me 1 HOUR to go 1 MILE to work!
NO public transportation  sad
Valet every/anywhere smile
Image is everything
Great restaurants
Piedmont Park smile
TONS of home decorating stores
Car covered in yellow pollen  sad
1 month of "winter"
Highest per capita spent on beauty in the country (actual fact)

Mar 21 06 05:15 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

hot, humid, hot, humid...

did I mention hot and humid?

Mar 21 06 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Artist Photography

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I grew up in ATL.

Major Pros:
Great city and surrounding areas.
Very nice and friendly, genuine people - though that is changing.
Mild winters, with just two or three really cold weeks, but spread out.
Great resturants and nightlife.
Good museums and art scene/culture.
Very photography friendly.
Reasonable real estate in most suburbs and even parts of downtown where revitalization is happening.
Nice, large parks and public areas.

Major Cons:
Traffic - distances are measured in minutes/hours rather than miles. When we left ATL three years ago, my wife had a 12 mile commute to her office. The average drive time was 1 - 1 1/2 hours each way.
Baking hot summers and high humidity.
Horrible public transit systems.
Not walking or bicycling freindly - minimal sidewalks, poor traffic control, etc.
No real, vibrant, after-hours/weekend downtown scene unless a special event is happening.
Urban sprawl - some "suburbs" are over 50 miles away from downtown.

On the other hand, Savannah's lovely -

FWIW

Bill Ballard
Blue Water Photography
Savannah, GA
[email protected]

Mar 21 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

If you have allergies Atlanta is the pollen capital of the universe.

In recent years going through Savannah I haven't noticed any odors from the paper mills although it used to be bad.

Mar 21 06 10:36 pm Link

Model

Semora

WOW..thanks for all the great responses! I copied and paste them all so i can read them on the train! I heard basically what you are all saying. Im not really going down there to model but to just get away from DELAWARE! so from delaware to georgia its approx 14 hours!! ANd im scared of planes!! AHHH~ lol

Mar 22 06 07:31 am Link

Model

Semora

AJ Bella wrote:
Semora? Cool name. Anyways, Ga is alright. Modeling scene is way too urban if ya ask me. If you do model be prepared ot go to casting calls where they look for "big booty chicks"
Small buisnesses do thrive out here though. They call it the new black capital of the U.S Cost of living is not too high, but taxes are outrageous!

Home of Bobby and Whitney, the Runaway Bride and Morehouse College. (Hello boys!  smile

Yeah not really going down there to model and i did hear about the "big booty" modeling. I don't have a big booty so i guess i won't fit in sad lol   And delaware is home of tax free shopping so i will miss that!

Mar 22 06 07:32 am Link

Model

Semora

Dhaniel wrote:
Image is everything
Great restaurants
Piedmont Park smile
1 month of "winter"

WOW. i heard that you have to go on the high way just to go to the corner store ! lol is that true?

Mar 22 06 07:35 am Link

Model

Yanique

BRONX, New York, US

Dhaniel wrote:
Image is everything
Great restaurants
Piedmont Park smile
1 month of "winter"

no public transportation?  what about MARTA??  i'm not a local can't you tell..

Mar 22 06 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Kerry Johnston wrote:
no public transportation?  what about MARTA??  i'm not a local can't you tell..

This alleged "MARTA" does not exist!  It's merely a figurative construct commonly experienced during mass hallucinations approximately twice an hour.  Once going north and once going south.  People might believe they are riding this "MARTA" but they aren't actually going anywhere...

My take on Atlanta:

Traffic Morning rush "hour" starts around 8am-ish and goes to about 10am.  The lunch rush begins around 11:30am and goes to about 1pm.  Evening rush "hour" begins around 4pm and can go until 7pm sometimes depending on where you're headed.  All times are give or take 30 minutes. 

That said, I live in Midtown Atlanta and can get everywhere worth going in 10 to 20 minutes.  It's very avoidable if you plan properly.

Nightlife  There's a lot to do and no shortage of beautiful people with whom to do it.  I can't even name all the things to do and places to go.  People who can't enjoy themselves in this city probably couldn't enjoy themselves in any city.  There are different things/places to do/go every single night.  Fun loving people can have a great time in even the most boring of atmospheres.

Property  As mentioned, there's a revitalization going on beginning at the center of the city and moving outward.  There are some excellent deals to be had.

Business  There are a lot of well paid people here in Atlanta.  Most are uncouth Philistines, but I digress...  It's seems that the Middle/Upper Middle Class here is ridiculously large.  There are many, many intelligent, business savvy people with whom to network etc.  That's why so many self-owned businesses (especially those that are black-owned) thrive here.

Weather  If you don't like the weather here, just wait about 30 mintues... it'll change.  It got very cold for a few isolated weeks here this winter.  That's it.  You can't beat 9 months of remarkably pleasant weather.  Summer humidity is nothing to laugh about, though.

Public Transit  The "alleged" MARTA.  Damn.

Except for two very forgettable years spent in Memphis, TN, I've lived here for the last 11 years and love it.

Mar 22 06 09:24 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Semora wrote:

WOW. i heard that you have to go on the high way just to go to the corner store ! lol is that true?

In some parts of the city, yes. Atleast, from when I went up there, it is like that. I was up in the Buford area, though. Traffic in Atlanta is horrible on the weekends. I was stuck in traffic for the longest time it seems. Pollen is horrible, but no different than down here in Alabama...which is why I am glad I'm getting out. My allergies are horrible!

There is a lot to see and do in the Atlanta area. If you don't mind long lines, stop by the Varsity for lunch sometime. They have great onion rings.

A lot of the people in Georgia are friendlier than you will see in some areas. They really do have "southern charm."

It's really not a bad place to be, as long as you don't have bad allergies.

Mar 22 06 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Visunz

Washington, District of Columbia, US

aight weather, some cool people, everybody I meet seems to be from out of town though

Mar 22 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

Semora wrote:
WOW..thanks for all the great responses! I copied and paste them all so i can read them on the train! I heard basically what you are all saying. Im not really going down there to model but to just get away from DELAWARE! so from delaware to georgia its approx 14 hours!! ANd im scared of planes!! AHHH~ lol

I'll drive with you, Semora. I make that run all the time. Love it too. I take 85 south into 285 to Atlanta.

Mar 22 06 03:25 pm Link