Forums > General Industry > Making Money???

Photographer

SCrude Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

For all you photographers out there. I have gone to school for Photography...and I shoot all the time, trying to build my portfolio. I don't limit myself to JUST bikini female hotties. I want to do advertiement photography for fashion and products. Any pointers since there seems to be some Highly experienced photographers here?

Sincerely,

Christopher Kidder

Apr 16 05 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

AG Photo

Easton, Pennsylvania, US

I'll save you the trouble, Christopher, and boost this back up top!

Hope someone, or many of you successful photographers will share some knowledge with Christopher. Seems to be a very eager student.

If you don't want to put it out for everyone to see, send him an email.

Matt
Deputy Admin

Apr 16 05 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

You will probably get more response if you ask specific questions. There are a million things to know in this business. I learn new things every day. I asked someone recently about getting editorial work. His response was to start by doing local magazines and then try to get national work.

Apr 17 05 01:07 am Link

Photographer

SCrude Photography

Well ty you both for the info. I guess it was kind of a vague question and really who wants to help me become the competition. LOL...Well here is a more direct question. So if I wanted to do say a Rolex photo...would I contact Rolex first for permission? OR do I shoot the photos and then try to sell them to Rolex. Or do I just go to local (then National) magazines and see if they have a specific job for me?

I am sorry...I am a photographer trying to figure out the business part now. I am not trying to be label as a hobbyist either. I have bills to pay to smile

Christopher

Apr 17 05 01:34 am Link

Photographer

Joe Newman

Franklin, Arkansas, US

I say you keep your options open, and shoot whatever you can. Don't limit yourself to just models or one thing. Basically there is a need for images anywhere. Recently I was asked to do images for a Chiropractic Clinic. Just let yourself be known to the community, and just get to know people. More than likely your photography skills will be more useful than most people can do themselves.
Joe

Apr 17 05 01:47 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Christopher: 
For all you photographers out there. I have gone to school for Photography...and I shoot all the time, trying to build my portfolio. I don't limit myself to JUST bikini female hotties. I want to do advertiement photography for fashion and products. Any pointers since there seems to be some Highly experienced photographers here?

Sincerely,

Christopher Kidder

It's all about networking.  I've had to bust my ass to promote myself and get my name out there to get the connections that I have now.

Apr 17 05 02:17 am Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I shoot mostly commercial stuff for my money. The bikini and import car stuff is usually the weekend gig. This week, I'm doing 4 shoots, all architectural (is that spelled right?), very boring, but pays well. 2 jobs are for AIA, American Institute of Architects, submission for awards type photos. 2 are for realtors for their listings. Tilt shift 24mm work mostly.

Next weekend, I'm shooting a bikini model with a custom Ironhorse chopper, for the local Ironhorse dealership. In between, I get to do a bunch of post production editing. Next week, I have some catalog crap to shoot. Tshirts and surf shorts, that kind of thing.

I don't advertise. I don't market. All my work is by referral. Develop relationships, make contacts, and do some bargain work with agreements that they "don't tell anyone how much you did the work for". Then word will get around. You will get referrals. It's all a snowball effect kind of thing.

Apr 17 05 04:05 am Link

Photographer

SCrude Photography

Cool...That helps alot. But back to what I said ealier...is it ok to shoot a Rolex ad without their permission just to put in my portfolio? I guess that is what I am getting at. And is it good to have these fake ads in my portfolio to help get commercial work?

C~

Apr 17 05 05:22 am Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Yeah, you can do fake ads. You can do pretty much whatever you want for your portfolio as long as you don't steal someone elses work. But the chances of you approaching Rolex on your own and getting work is slim to none. Big time companies go through ad agencies. So your best bet is to start sending your book around to ad agencies. Either local or national depending on the type of work you want. Pick up Communicaion Arts and look at the photos that are similar to what you want to do. It will list the agency that worked on it if it was for an ad. Arrange to send your book to their Art Director. Or you can have some cards made up and sent out to a list of Art Directors at targeted Ad Agencies. www.modernpostcard.com can provide such a list as well as printing and mailing the cards for you.

Apr 17 05 11:02 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

>>> "Cool...That helps alot. But back to what I said ealier...is it ok to shoot a Rolex ad without their permission just to put in my portfolio?"

For a new photographer that doesn't have a tear seets in their portfolio, it should be OK to shoot a Rolex ad ONLY IF (heavily emphasised, so I'll repeat...) ONLY IF you clearly disclose that it's a concept or practice shot.

People that attempt to create fake ads or fake magazine covers and attempt to pass 'em off as real are rarely ever hired, mainly because they're displaying their real talents of being a con-artist!  It's a great way to get 'blacklisted', and possibly get into legal trouble as well.

Make it obvious to any person that views the photo that it's a concept by placing the words "concept design" somewhere in the title or description (and possibly even watermarking the page with those words).  You should also use 'jibberish language' (such as the famous "Ipsum delorum" paragraph) in any text that is used on the page, and a clearly non-working "555-1212" phone number in place of any real phone numbers that would appear in such an ad.

While the ad may look fake because of the "jibberish" and "fake phone number", it will actually show a higher degree of professionalism, because that's exactly the way PROFESSIONAL designers actually display thier new concepts to their associates and clients!

Apr 17 05 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Dream Lighting

TY very much this helps so much. I new I liked this site!

Apr 17 05 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Good point Ken. I should have said this.  Also, I wouldn't try to "design" an ad if you aren't a designer. Just shoot the photo and let them see your photography. But as Ken pointed out. Tell them it was just a demo shot for your book and that it wasn't actually commissioned or used by Rolex.

Apr 17 05 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

dana lloyd kehr

Tacoma, Washington, US

OK. I'll take this in a little different direction.

If you aren't afraid to beat the street a little -- you can contact local ad agencies in your area ... show them your portfolio. The local agency folks will be doing such things as: newsletters, print ads, company brochures, annual reports, etc. -- all needing photographic work.

Go to the next level down. Visit area print shops and do the same thing.

Just keep networking and following up and you'll have more business that can pay the bills.

A couple books to consider:  "Sell & Re-Sell Your Photos" by Rohn Engh  ... also "Photos That Sell" by Lee Frost.

Good Shooting!

smile  Dana

Apr 17 05 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Brian Kim:
i don't advertise. I don't market. All my work is by referral. Develop relationships, make contacts, and do some bargain work with agreements that they "don't tell anyone how much you did the work for". Then word will get around. You will get referrals. It's all a snowball effect kind of thing

Apr 17 05 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

SCrude Photography

Word...this all helps. So much to learn...I love it!

Apr 17 05 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Christopher wrote:

Sincerely,

Christopher Kidder

Jul 29 06 05:23 pm Link