Forums > General Industry > SAS Agency in Newport Beach, CA?

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the SAS Agency in Newport Beach/Beverly Hills? Their website is http://www.sasstudio.com

The BBB isn't impressed ('F' rating on labbb.org), but I wanted to see if anyone has more personal information, good or bad about them.

Mar 21 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

bob cooley

New York, New York, US

Kevin Connery wrote:
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the SAS Agency in Newport Beach/Beverly Hills? Their website is http://www.sasstudio.com

Are they claiming to be a modeling agency?

If so, it looks like they may be operating illegally (without a license)

California requires all talent agencies (anyone who attempts to procure work for models and takes a fee or percentage) to be licensed (and bonded).

You can find thier lack of licensing here:
http://www.dir.ca.gov/databases/dlselr/talag.html

cheers!

Mar 21 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yes, SAS is specifically claiming to be a modeling agency on some of their web pages.

If you click the "auditions" link (located at the bottom of some of their web pages) you will see a web page where practically every other word is about their 'modeling agency', and phrased as such.

No, SAS is NOT licensed as a talent agency in California, as the law requires.

No, SAS is NOT franchised, licensed, affiliated, or listed with the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), which would probably hinder the chances of their represented 'talent' to get any work in the motion picture or TV industry.

A check with the California Secretary of State finds the following:

SAS AGENCY, LLC 
Number: 200316410046  Date Filed: 4/28/2003  Status: active
Jurisdiction: CALIFORNIA 
Address 
2805 CATHERINE WAY 
SANTA ANA, CA 92705 
Agent for Service of Process
DONALD B. TIPPING, II 
2001 EAST FOURTH ST STE 208 
SANTA ANA, CA 92705 

They also claim to be an advertising agency, which would NOT require a special "Talent Agency" license IF the talent they hired were for their own use only, however SAS states:

SAS Agency wrote:
SAS Agency is a non-exclusive full service Advertising Agency, that promotes and direct books for modeling, acting, dance, and movie extras for the industry. We are the largest Agency in Orange County and Las Vegas areas for the industry.
SAS Studios is the source for Direct Bookings for catalogs, all forms of printwork, and any model related areas.

THAT would require a TALENT AGENCY license!

The "Nevada" location is fake, and the phone number for the Nevada location is not in a Nevada area code. Similarly, Clark County requires special licenses for talent agencies, which SAS does not have.  Many of my aquaintences in NV are employed in similar fields (Ad agencies, Talent agencies, Photo and TV studios), NONE have ever heard of SAS.

One BBB office currently has 11 unanswered complaints about SAS Studios, and gives SAS an "F" rating!(http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Busin … 204352&sm=)

BBB wrote:
Most complainants allege the company accepts money for photos, zed cards or other services, then fails to provide the services. Many customers report waiting several months, and still no photos are delivered. Some customers request refunds when no pictures are received. Customers complain the company promises refunds by phone, however most report no refunds are issued. Complainants allege difficulty contacting the company to inquire on the status of photo deliveries and refunds; calls are not returned, inquiries are ignored, or stall tactics are used. The company did refund one customer $50.

By law, California Talent agencies are not allowed to be owned or affiliated with similar businesses (ie: photo studios, printing companies).  This is to insure that the agency will be paid by their clients for actually hiring their talent instead of being paid by the talent which they are supposed to represent.

There have been other posts about SAS, here on MM and elsewhere.  The consensus is to stay away. Big time scammers!

Mar 21 06 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Thanks.

I'd checked the talent agency licensing listing, and hadn't found them there, and their site looked odd, with the old-style search-engine-spam repeated phrasing:

SASSTUDIO.COM wrote:
Modeling Agency like modeling careers you can order online. Simply click modeling schools, we also offer modeling jobs and modeling. The following the online medications and are discount medications. Out online medciation store will help you next time your ordermodel agency! If you would like to order male modeling jobs simply click the glamour photographer link on our child modeling store and you will find more information about teen modeling.

A model I worked with recently signed (or is about to sign--I'm not sure which) with them, and I figured I'd be a Nice Guy(tm) and do a quick check. Since what I found wasn't good, I wanted to cross-check before saying anything to her.

Mar 22 06 02:11 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Sounds like the old "New Your West" scam. Let's see if you are any goood//pay us to test you. then use our great photogs and then our great printer so on and so forth until your wallet is drained. But at least NYW had a real licence..not to hard to get BTW.
Mike

Mar 22 06 02:29 am Link