Forums > General Industry > Did America's Top Model Cause a Deluge?

Model

andreachang

New York, New York, US

I wonder if it was this reality TV show that caused a deluge of models to this industry.  Now everyone and their momma's wants to be a model. Makes competition very tight but I suppose drives the strongest talent to the top.  What do you think it is?  I was told a lot of agencies don't accept snapshots anymore and will only look at a book with professional photos because of this phenomena.

Can anyone give an explanation?

Jun 29 05 10:59 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

There was already a deluge.

I doubt fashion agencies will start asking for pro shots instead of clear snaps. It doesn't make sense for their market.

Jun 29 05 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

More wannabes, sure.. More competition? Doubt it... Because .. it doesnt matter if 50.000 new girls want to be models, out of those 50.000 only 100 might fit what is needed to be a model.

Jun 29 05 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by andreachang: 
I wonder if it was this reality TV show that caused a deluge of models to this industry.  Now everyone and their momma's wants to be a model. Makes competition very tight but I suppose drives the strongest talent to the top.  What do you think it is?  I was told a lot of agencies don't accept snapshots anymore and will only look at a book with professional photos because of this phenomena.

Call an agency and ask them.

Jun 29 05 11:33 pm Link

Model

ErinTheArtist

Oakland, California, US

Y'know whats funny....looking at some of the profiles on OMP, I already thought everyone and their grandma wanted to be a model smile But the thing you need to keep in mind is...every girl who is just starting out, and believes they can make a killing just being on the market..then hitting the realization that you need to make sacrifices and that it is work.....they usually drop out completely after a month of no real jobs and seedy photogs contacting them.

I believe its more than good looks...way more..... its being a performance artist to me.

Oh....and I saw a couple of episodes of the Top Model...and I thought they all were mediocre. They were just given great makeup artists and great photogs....anyone can look great given THAT setup. Professionally, I thought they were whiney babies

Jul 01 05 11:44 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Yes. Good point.

I think the real problem is the contestants on ANTM are chosen so that the general public can pick one to identify with, not becuase of any true model potential.

It gives people the impression that anyone can walk in and be a model.

Kind of like American Idol having nothing to do with musical talent.

Jul 01 05 11:51 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

What many people tend to forget is that it's TV and you never ever see what goes on behind the scenes. For the most part; the reality isn't real at all.

Many of us should already know this when we look at shots from any photoshoots, we really only need 1 or 3 shots and the REALity is if you get 3 great shots out of 100, that's a terrible percentage. What's real is that the other 97 were suckass. I think for this reason I find it hard to take any credit with the - WOW! that's a great image - comment because the other suckass 97 are still stuck in my head.

I'm not sure that it has hurt the business, I am sure that it will stiffen the competition, meaning that you, we, us will have to be on top of our game. It's no different than a GWC offering to shoot everything and their momma for free.

The cream of crop all rises to the top - I'm stuck somewhere in the middle I think.

Holla

Jul 02 05 07:05 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Posted by andreachang: 

Reality shows do noting for the industry or will  it be deluge of models clammering for fame and fashion. If anything  there will be more rejections becasue the industry is fast to tell you in a second if you have it or you don't...that's reality

Jul 02 05 07:14 am Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

All ANTM has done is encourage the lazy immediate gratification syndrome.  Many now think the way to get that break is to get on ANTM.  Wrong  modeling like any other job takes research and work to develop a list of credits that Agencies will note and respond to. Yes this is a much more subjective business but the formula is still related to the regular working world where top grads from the tops schools with the hot thesis and the top CO-OP's experiences get the top jobs with the Fortune 500 companies.

Bottom line do the work reap the benies....wait to be picked and the train will pass you by.

Jul 02 05 07:21 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Posted by aye provide: 
All ANTM has done is encourage the lazy immediate gratification syndrome.  Many now think the way to get that break is to get on ANTM.  Wrong  modeling like any other job takes research and work to develop a list of credits that Agencies will note and respond to. Yes this is a much more subjective business but the formula is still related to the regular working world where top grads from the tops schools with the hot thesis and the top CO-OP's experiences get the top jobs with the Fortune 500 companies.

Bottom line do the work reap the benies....wait to be picked and the train will pass you by.

Damn love the way you speak....

Jul 02 05 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Posted by andreachang: 
I wonder if it was this reality TV show that caused a deluge of models to this industry.  Now everyone and their momma's wants to be a model.

Umm...did you ever hear of model competitions and conventions, open calls, OMP, MDC prior to ANTM?  Commercial TV reflects the population, it rarely leads the population.  There is not a commercial motivation to be too far ahead of the population. 

The producers were savvy enough to recognize an existing trend or audience when they were creating and pitching the show.  They could not go to networks and advertisers and say "We will create a phenomenom with this show and you should buy it."

Not to totally jump down your throat, but...  It is easy to draw a conclusion from something you are now experiencing, however there are many flaws in reaching a conclusion from a single observation or contemporary view.  Those who have been in the industry for longer can see trends from a broader view.

The web in general, digital photography and printing, and the 90s supermodel craze have done far more to effect the current modeling market than ANTM has or will ever do.

Jul 02 05 07:56 am Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I wanted to try out for ANTM but I dont meet the height requirements. [Min 5'7]

Jul 02 05 09:15 am Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

:::spanks shyuma::::  smile

Jul 02 05 09:18 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

You meet the requirements for WHO SHOT YA! will you be coming?

Jul 02 05 09:28 am Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 

You know I am babe! I already called Calvin

Jul 02 05 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I know it created a deluge of Yahoo models. lol

Jul 02 05 12:36 pm Link

Model

Mistress Purgatori

Washington, District of Columbia, US

LONG before ANTM everyone&their momma wanted to be a model *lol*
and while the majority of you bash the show I personally think it's good what Tyra Banks is doing.but then again I think Tyra is better then most models.and more genuine.
xxx
MP

Posted by andreachang: 
I wonder if it was this reality TV show that caused a deluge of models to this industry.  Now everyone and their momma's wants to be a model.

Jul 02 05 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by Shayuma: 

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 

You know I am babe! I already called Calvin

Calvin Merit????

Jul 02 05 03:49 pm Link