Forums > General Industry > Haunted House

Photographer

WZ Photography

Squamish, British Columbia, Canada

Would you shoot in a haunted house?

If yes, what would you concentrate on? (fashion, fine art, nude, etc.)

Mar 18 06 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Artistic nude.  Love the look of old houses.  BW works best for me. bs

Mar 18 06 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Nerie

Some really strange fashion to match the surroundings..

Maybe do something sci fi but not too cheesy with green lights. 

I guess it depends on the interior of the building.

Mar 18 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

WZ Photography

The house is actually occupied.  My concern is, I don't want to be disrespectfull.

Mar 18 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Nerie

WZ Studio wrote:
The house is actually occupied.  My concern is, I don't want to be disrespectfull.

Yeah I've had the same feeling when I did some implied nudes in a graveyard. I felt horrible about it but my model really wanted to so I did it anyway.. she got bit up by mosquitos SO badly that we had to leave after maybe two shots.

It depends on the haunt, I think. Is it a good or a bad haunt?

Figure that out first, then see how you feel about it. I'm going to sound incredibly loony but, usually people who have to live with ghosts give them a talking to about what the rules are (i.e. "when I have company you have to hang back"). Stuff like that.

Is this a place you are completely unfamiliar with? Is it abandoned? What is the history of the house?

Find out what kind of haunt it is, good/bad, residual, subjective to one person onlyetc. Then decide if you and the model are strong enough to deal with this sort of thing and keep shooting no matter what. It takes a certain kind of person not to run away.

Just my experience. Good luck.

~Nerie

[edit] OH wait I read your comment wrong, disregard my post.

Mar 18 06 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

I would just avoid it.

Mar 18 06 08:17 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Well I shot in an abandoned mental hospital.

The doors slammed by themselelves so i'd say it was scary but I dont care as long as the images are great.... and they were wink

Mar 18 06 08:48 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

I think it depends on how the living residents feel, because if something bad happens, they have to live with it...or will end up moving.

Are you wanting to get a chance to possibly catch a ghost on camera? Or, are you just wanting to shoot there for the ambiance?

Being one who has actually lived in a haunted house before, I know that if the sprit doesn't like what you are doing, it will make that very fact known. I've seen doors slam on their own, lights go on and off (though no electrical problem was apparent), among other strange occurrences. What made my family finally sell the house and move, was when my brother walked into the living room and saw (and heard) our electric organ playing by itself...and the organ was unplugged and turned off.

So, just keep respect for the dead. Even ask first if it will be okay to shoot there...and I don't mean asking the living residents. I know it sounds kooky, but it's more of a respect thing, and if there is some force that doesn't want you to shoot there, then you will find out all too soon.

Mar 18 06 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Thatguy

Boston, Massachusetts, US

You should take a trip down to Toledo and do a shoot at the Collingwood Arts Center some time if you are into haunted places.

Mar 18 06 10:09 pm Link

Model

LuzJuliana

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

Model Sarah wrote:

The doors slammed by themselelves so i'd say it was scary but I dont care as long as the images are great.... and they were wink

Wow, now thats scary!

Mar 18 06 10:11 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Already have, my Vampire series. It was an actual haunted house that used to be used as a fun haunted house as well. Want ghost stories...heh heh heh, ask Dan Hood!

I would not shoot in a graveyard out of respect for the living, but I have no problem with haunted house myself.

Mar 18 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

D. M. Gremlin

Long Beach, California, US

BeccaNDSouth wrote:
What made my family finally sell the house and move, was when my brother walked into the living room and saw (and heard) our electric organ playing by itself...and the organ was unplugged and turned off.

What song did it play?

Mar 18 06 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Elaine Dunn

New York, New York, US

My last apartment in Brooklyn Heights was haunted - ask the models! My lights kept crashing down on them. sad   It hasn't happened since I moved to a different place.

Mar 18 06 11:32 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Jay Hammye wrote:
You should take a trip down to Toledo and do a shoot at the Collingwood Arts Center some time if you are into haunted places.

I did shoot there....

nothing out of the ordinary for me.

But that place is very creepy looking in certain parts.

Mar 18 06 11:56 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

D. M. Gremlin wrote:

What song did it play?

LOL..that, I couldn't tell ya. He didn't recognize it as a song...just keys playing. I honestly don't think he stayed in the house long enough to find out what song it was, anyhow...I know I wouldn't! That house always creeped me out. I could always feel a bad presence in what was my parents' room and in the bathroom. We found out that the house used to be in the country, and was moved to it's current location about 60 years ago. The house is over 100 years old, and should be torn down, it's do decrepid now. It would make for some really interesting photos, though...especially if you took them in the attic, which is set up with different rooms, instead of one big area. The cellar by the house is creepy as well...reminds me of what you see in shows about voodoo.

Mar 19 06 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

I'd love to shoot the material I usually do in a haunted house... it's a perfect setting for it.  smile

Mar 19 06 09:13 pm Link

Model

The Matthew Ross

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

If the money is good I wouldn't care if it was haunted. I'm thinking possibly something dark & Gothic, or maybe something else, and if I see a ghost just wave & say "hi!" lol j/k.

Mar 20 06 03:36 am Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

I would MOST DEFINATELY shoot in a haunted house. Wouldn't bother me. wink I'd focus on posing for one. Hmm, I suppose I would also want it to be more focused on fashion and portraits than anything else.

Mar 20 06 03:52 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Matthew918 wrote:
If the money is good I wouldn't care if it was haunted. I'm thinking possibly something dark & Gothic, or maybe something else, and if I see a ghost just wave & say "hi!" lol j/k.

Easy to say, sir, but I think the reality might be different.

I lived in a haunted house, it was built before 1287, and I never felt that it belonged to me.  Nothing nasty every happened, and I did (sometimes) enjoy the practical jokes, but I would have liked some privacy at times.

Mar 20 06 03:56 am Link

Model

The Matthew Ross

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Really? 1287 , hmm.Well I have dealt with ghosts before so I'm not scared I've played hide & seek in a cemetery on Halloween and I've even spent the night in a "haunted" house for some money, I dunno, maybe nothing seems to scare me anymore, but I would definetly shoot in a haunted house , not even a ghost can seperate me from a job (a paycheck).

Mar 20 06 04:20 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

In 1287 the town where I live was on the coast, and a huge storm flooded the harbour and changed the course of the river.  Huge amounts of mud and silt were deposited in the town, and, rather than dig it all out, the people just started building on top of it.  The church is about five feet below the road level, but it varies in other parts of the town.  My house was two steps down.  Houses built after 1287 were put up at the new ground level, so it's an easy way to tell how old a house is.  The house had been remodelled a number of times, but most of it was original.

There was a ghost cat which used to jump down off the fridge, but disappeared before it got to the floor, a dark shape on the stairs, someone who threw the bedding around if I didn't make my bed, and lots of other stuff.  I never felt threatened, but I was never alone...

Mar 20 06 05:09 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Which one?

Mar 20 06 05:36 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Matthew918 wrote:
Really? 1287 , hmm.Well I have dealt with ghosts before so I'm not scared I've played hide & seek in a cemetery on Halloween and I've even spent the night in a "haunted" house for some money, I dunno, maybe nothing seems to scare me anymore, but I would definetly shoot in a haunted house , not even a ghost can seperate me from a job (a paycheck).

If you get a chance, take a trip down to Canute. It's right on Route 66, and you will find one haunted house, atleast. I know there are others who have been said to be haunted. Talk to the person who owns the house on 1st Street one block south of Route 66, and they might actually let you look around (if the house is still standing). I'm not sure if anyone who has lived in the house since my family has had any haunts, but it's still a creepy place to be. Oklahoma is known for having quite a few haunted areas, though.

Mar 20 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

There is NO such thing as a haunted house...

It has NOT been scientifically proven!

Come one people!

Mar 20 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

WZ Photography

Thanks for all your comments.

for those who care - I did talk to the owner and he's completely up for it.  According to him, the ghosts occupying the house are very pleasant so I shouldn't worry about anything.  Although, he did mention that some kookey stuff has happened in the past, mainly lights going on and off, and the occasional sounds of people clinging their glasses and such.  Nothing to really worry about I suppose.
I'm fine with doing a shoot there, I'm just worry about the model, that's all.
Then again, if she's willing to do a shoot in there, then why not, right?

Anyways, thanks again for everyone's input.

Later

Mar 20 06 10:54 am Link

Model

The Matthew Ross

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Route 66 runs str8 through Tulsa, I know a street a few blocks from home, lol .I'll check out the house & see whats up. I enjoy a challenge smile

Mar 20 06 11:07 am Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

WZ Studio wrote:
Would you shoot in a haunted house?

If yes, what would you concentrate on? (fashion, fine art, nude, etc.)

Absolutely!

Wardrobe to be determined by the ghost. lol.  The reason for shooting a haunted house would be to catch a shot of the haunter.  Otherwise it's just another venue.

Mar 20 06 11:31 am Link