Forums > General Industry > Models... know your market!!!

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Models,

Be careful what type of pics you post on your port.  I'm seeing model's wanting fashion in their bio's, then posting nudes in their ports.  Before we all get in an uproar, I have nothing against nudes.  I have nothing against fashion/editorial nudes.  There is, however, a difference between fashion and smut.  Research your target market.  Very few... if any comp cards at the agencies that I shoot for have nudes.  If they do, they are with a reputable photographer done tastefully.  As for all the people whose feathers I just ruffled, that was not my intention.

Mar 17 06 10:23 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Comp cards and MM port are two different subjects.  Do agencies look for model on MM?

Mar 17 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Comp cards and MM port are two different subjects.  Do agencies look for model on MM?

Agencies probably don't look for models here, but photographers working with the agencies do.  I guess it all depends on how far the model wants to go with fashion.  Remember, you have those pics, but so does the photographer.

Mar 17 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Shawn Ray wrote:
Models,
Before we all get in an uproar, I have nothing against nudes.  I have nothing against fashion/editorial nudes.

Uh, oh.  Talk of nudity will certainly rile the masses here...

I was hoping to write, "thankfully an industry related thread."

Mar 17 06 10:34 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Shawn Ray wrote:

Agencies probably don't look for models here, but photographers working with the agencies do.  I guess it all depends on how far the model wants to go with fashion.  Remember, you have those pics, but so does the photographer.

Would some fashion photographers steer agencies and clients away from models who do artistic nudes for instance? Or are you talking about sexually explicit nudes?  I ask because I have a couple nudes in my port that I would not put on a comp card. Yet I am interested in fashion.

Mar 17 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Would some fashion photographers steer agencies and clients away from models who do artistic nudes for instance? Or are you talking about sexually explicit nudes?  I ask because I have a couple nudes in my port that I would not put on a comp card. Yet I am interested in fashion.

Sexually explicit.  Artistic... if done right.. are usually okay.  Again, I'm speaking for the fashion industry.

Mar 17 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Shawn Ray wrote:
...if done right.. are usually okay.

Don't even think about it if you are aren't the least bit plugged in to the scene and know exactly what you are doing...or being guided by those that do.  You'll look stupid.  Fashionistas hate pretenders.

Mar 17 06 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

area291 wrote:
Don't even think about it if you are aren't the least bit plugged in to the scene and know exactly what you are doing...or being guided by those that do.

(You'll look stupid.  Fashionistas hate pretenders.)

Elaborate... please.

Mar 17 06 11:29 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

so, quick and simple question--are nipples on a woman considered explicit or artistic?

Mar 18 06 01:35 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Phoenix E wrote:
so, quick and simple question--are nipples on a woman considered explicit or artistic?

Depends on how cold it is in the studio.

Studio36

Mar 18 06 03:09 am Link