Forums > General Industry > Anyone heard of Model Management Group in NYC?

Model

Julie Davis

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

They want me to come up there next week to meet with an agent.  ANyone know if theyre legit???? Also, what are the best agencies in the Philadelphia area?

Mar 17 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I would have sworn I just replied to this message in Model Matters.  Perhaps not.  This thread must be an illusion.

Mar 17 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Julie Davis wrote:
They want me to come up there next week to meet with an agent.  ANyone know if theyre legit???? Also, what are the best agencies in the Philadelphia area?

Jillian Ann has a great page of links of NYC agencies here:
http://www.jillianann.com/agencies.html

Doesn't make a place legit or not, but it's a good place to start researching.

Mar 17 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

there is Major Models, 381 park av south, NY NY 10016

is the one you are seeing on broadway?

Mar 17 06 10:00 pm Link

Model

Julie Davis

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Yeah its on Broadway

Mar 18 06 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Daniel Norton

New York, New York, US

Major is a fashion agency

for commercial, check out

gilla roos
cesd
mcdonald richards

Good luck!

Daniel

Mar 18 06 09:08 am Link

Model

LuzJuliana

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

Julie Davis wrote:

Hey I heard of them they wanted to meet with me for future work just a few days ago.

Mar 18 06 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

First of all from what I can gather, a brief thread on models.com and looking at their own website, I don't think they're actually an agency but they claim to be able to introduce you to agencies and get you placed. And maybe they even can, except if you were someone an agency wanted to sign then you could get yourself signed without them and whatever fees they're going to want from you.

Secondly, while you're a completely adorable, fresh faced, and beautiful girl you're also 5'6, 23 years old, have a 26 inch waist (they want their 5'9 to 5'11 girls to have 24 inch waists), and have more of an all american girl next door/commercial look than an exotic/unique high fashion look. Realistically, all that virtually eliminates you from consideration from any legit NYC fashion agency in and of itself. Yes, it's true that not all the girls they sign are exotic or unique, but when they make drastic height execptions they are either those things or beautiful like they rarely ever see. You are beautiful, but they have lots of tall beautiful girls similar to your general type of look to choose from.

But furthermore, you're in Pennsylvania and they contacted you out of the blue (at least that's the impression I get, and I know they did that with the MDC thread starter). Quality, legitimate fashion agencies just don't do that, how would they even know about you? They don't search through the tens or hundreds of thousands of portfolios here or on OMP looking for needles in a hay stack. They have far more girls than they want or need contacting them directly in person, by mail and by email, and they also have an easy way to search by the perameters important to them from the membership of models.com as well as getting new members pics sent to them if the perameters meet the standards they've laid out. For them to seek you out from far away and ask you to come see them, if they had somehow come across your photos, you would almost assuredly have to be between 13 and 16, already tall or have large feet and tall parents so they think you'll grow, and be super stunning or have something really unique. Otherwise they'll have more girls similar to you already in NY or coming to visit on a regular basis than they know what to do with.

I don't mean to rag on you or sound harsh, those are just the realities and I think it's good to spell it out, not just for you, but for others reading since this kind of thing comes up so often and so many girls are getting scammed by this kind of bullshit. So many times one knows the agency in question is a scam from the moment the person comes to the forums asking the question even if you don't know anything about the agency just because, well for one, you don't know the agency! haha, but more importantly just because of the person asking the question and the circumstances they're in. For so many the very fact that the "agency" contacts them at all, or claims to be interested at all is the only sign needed to know the "agency" is a scam because quite simply and honestly, no legit agency is going to be interested in that person, yet they continually ask hey, what about this agency? What about that one? I know that sounds harsh, but it's true, and I'm not saying it about anyone in particular and I'm not saying it about you as far as your looks go, you truly are beautiful, I don't make that shit up! smile In your case it's everything else I mentioned, but so many not only have your other obsticals but they're simply not traditional fashion agency material to boot. I just wish there was a way to get people to sit down and think about all these kinds of things and do an honest evaluation before they're ready to flush a ton of bucks down the toilet.

From what I've heard from Philly models I know, Reinhard is the good agency there. It's also usually less strict on height in secondary markets like that and most agencies in those places are probably more all purpose than specialized fashion agencies in the major markets. I have no doubt in the world that you can get commercial work, and maybe do very well, especially in the local and regional area, and probably do some local fashion or catalog/commercial fashion as well. If you want a legit NY commercial agency you'll need a great book or card and you'll have to move to NY or very close to it, they'll want you nearby for go sees and castings at a moments notice.

Sorry if I'm raining on any parades.

Mar 18 06 09:35 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

yes.  you can pm me for more details.  i had a non exclusive contract with them.

Mar 18 06 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Elaine Dunn

New York, New York, US

Daniel Norton wrote:
Major is a fashion agency

for commercial, check out

gilla roos
cesd
mcdonald richards

Good luck!

Daniel

Avoid McRich. I was once repped by them, and it started to get bad (not paying models). In fact, I think they folded.

CESD & Gilla are the way to go. Flaunt's not bad, either. Good luck!

Mar 18 06 11:44 pm Link