Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Wardrobe Ideas

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Someone help!  I'm drawing a blank (no ideas) and I have a week to get something together for a shoot.

Can a wardrobe stylist take a look at my prof/port and make a suggestion??????

Mar 16 06 04:07 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

I think people will want more info about the shoot for one

Mar 16 06 04:10 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

When I'm in a wardrobe rut, I usually hit up a couple thrift stores.  Try on some things you usually wouldn't get; you'd be surprised how well different styles fit you.  Plus, thrift storing is a lot cheaper than going out and gettin new wardrobe pieces elsewhere. 

That's my solution for wardrobe crisis on a college student budget :-)

Mar 16 06 05:00 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

The Thorny Rose wrote:
When I'm in a wardrobe rut, I usually hit up a couple thrift stores.  Try on some things you usually wouldn't get; you'd be surprised how well different styles fit you.  Plus, thrift storing is a lot cheaper than going out and gettin new wardrobe pieces elsewhere. 

That's my solution for wardrobe crisis on a college student budget :-)

By the way, be sure to wash and and Febreeze the stuff before you wear it.  Gets rid of most funny odors. 

Also, be sure to look for unsightly stains ahead of time; those white garments with nasty yellow pit stains just will not come out so either don't get them, or figure out a way to alter them to make them work for you.

Hope I helped.  Happy thrifting!

Mar 16 06 05:29 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
I think people will want more info about the shoot for one

It's indoors.  Primarily testing new lighting equipment.

Mar 16 06 11:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

You need to know what kind of shoot you will be doing. Even if the photog is just testing lighting equipment, and has no concept in mind, you need to think about what look you are going for. Great finds can be found at thrift stores, Wet Seal, Ross or Marshalls, Big Lots, Target have great accessories. Look in the magazines and get inspired then go shopping. It is amazing when I worked with Shaun Alexander I saw that he used a belt for a bra, a skirt, neck collar, oh a belt... you get the idea. Scarves, cheap dresses on sale with pretty fabric, fabric stores... etc, hats, earrings, necklaces, gloves, purses, sweaters, fabric stores often have sparkly fabrics for $2 a yard. etc.......... Dollar stores are also a neat place for accessorizing when paired with a black dress, bra, skirt etc, you can have a fresh look.

Are you wanting glamour, high fashion, avant gard, clean beauty, period (1940's, 50's 60's, etc..) you set the tone, the mood, and bring the accessories. My latest shoot the model brought her aqua ruffle top, I brought the pearls, gloves and sequin neck scarf for a total look. Second look was the high fashion Vogue, She had the black dress, I had the large sequins on tiny black scarf which I used on her head like a 30's look for a close up.

Mar 17 06 12:18 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Great ideas and feedback.  I want to get more into the glamour/pin up side of things.  You're right. . .the problem is I have no idea what look I want for the shoot.  The photographer didn't have any sort of theme in mind and that's what's making it somewhat difficult for me.  My imagination is grounded it seems. 

I'll keep parusing magazines and trying to think of something.

Mar 17 06 01:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Los Angeles, California, US

When I did styling I went around to all the schools with design students- they need pics for thier portfolios too and you end up with the most fabulous clothes- it's win-win for everybody. Students usually can't hire great photographers, models, hairstylists, or MUAs- so they would be very grateful.

Mar 17 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Time to Shoot

Arlington, Virginia, US

Very simple, inexpensive and completely appropriate "look" for a pin-up theme...full-length slip and a pair of marabou slippers. They have them in colors that would match any slip color.
http://shop.trashy.com/index.php?s=product&set_id=6935

Maybe slip a hibiscus flower in your hair and a string of pearls (real, faux). Heat it up with seamed stockings.

Wishing you luck and hope you post the pics.

Mar 17 06 05:00 pm Link