Forums > General Industry > Model Expenses

Model

SithVixen

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

smile Hi all!  Be aware that I say this with respect.

I have noticed that a lot of photographers feel like they get the short end of the stick by doing TFP work.

I agree that in some cases, the models have way less investement into their craft than photographers do, however there are exceptions to this rule.

I can say that I have just as much money invested into my equipment, clothing and makeup as any photographer. 

I'm a costumer/model. 

I have an expensive sewing machine, an expensive serger, fabrics, accessories, decorations and tools.  Some of my costumes are worth over $1000.  Some I bought off the shelf for $50.  Some I've made and spent 50+ hours and hundreds of dollars making.  I have a closet full of props, wigs and makeup - nice makeup, not walmart crap.  I even have black light makeup.  Don't forget that I also have photoshoot clothing that isn't really considered a costume but I wouldn't wear it in public that often. 

We need to dry clean and take care of our outfits, store them, maintain them, maintain our equipment, repair costumes...just like any photographer does with his or her equipment.  We must also continue to learn new things, take lessons, attend seminars and research for hours on the internet.

I understand that photographers invest a lot of money into equipment but there are models like me who also invest a lot of money into their craft.  In fact, we are constantly upgrading and creating new things, much like photographers upgrade their equipment, so it's not like a one time fee either. 

I don't always charge for my services but I can understand why a very good photographer would want to or would be select about TFP.  At my level of mastery, money and time are not something I enjoy wasting at any rate. 

For those Pro's who despise TFP no matter what, note that based on the expenses of models like myself, we could easily charge someone the same thing a professional photographer charges.  Good costume designers/models are not common and I feel that we offer something incredibly original that few others offer. 

There is such thing as a fair trade here.

P.S. I've had people attempt to freeload off of me as well.  Obnoxiousness is on both sides of the table.  I feel for ya!

Mar 16 06 02:54 pm Link