Forums > General Industry > To all models- photog expenses cont...

Model

-Terrace-

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Picasso's paint- $5
canvas- $2.50
That doesn't make his work only worth $7.50.
It is the talent going into the work that you are paying for, not the cost of the supplies.
There is more to being a good photographer than having lights and lenses. It is knowing how to use them and making beautiful art out of it.
You are paying for the talent not the lens, or camera.

Mar 16 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Thank you. I am glad a model stated this instead of a photographer.

Mar 16 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

Terrace wrote:
Picasso's paint- $5
canvas- $2.50
It is the talent going into the work that you are paying for, not the cost of the supplies.
There is more to being a good photographer than having lights and lenses. It is knowing how to use them and making beautiful art out of it.

Beautiful AND smart smile I like you.

Mar 16 06 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Anderson Artwork

Kansas City, Missouri, US

FabioTovar wrote:
quote]
Beautiful AND smart smile I like you.

Ditto from me....if you're ever near Kansas City...look me up...I would shoot with you...anytime!

Mar 16 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

Yes! Someone had to say it.

2 legendary anecdotes about Pablo Picasso come to mind.

1) On picking up a painting Picasso made in 1 hour, the client joked about what a nice job it was to make $25,000 an hour painting pictures. Picasso replied, “You don't pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour!â€?

2) A woman saw Picasso in a park, and asked him to sketch her. After studying her for a moment, he used a single pencil stroke to create her portrait, and then handed it to her.

She said, "It's perfect! You managed to capture my essence with one stroke, in one moment. Thank you! How much do I owe you?"

"Five thousand dollars," he said.

"How could you want so much money for this picture? It only took you a second to draw it!"

To which Picasso replied, "Madame, it took me my entire life."

Mar 16 06 04:18 pm Link

Model

-Terrace-

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

After reading 133 replies about how much lenses cost and lighting, and all that garble, I had to make my own entry about what it really is that models are paying for. big_smile Glad I am not the only one who sees it this way....

Mar 16 06 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Starstruck Foto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Terrace wrote:
Picasso's paint- $5
canvas- $2.50

Thank God there are still a few beautiful models that understand.Great art usually costs great money-you tend to get what you pay for. This is the kind of appreciation that makes us established pros willing to offer reduced rates.

Mar 16 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

Much appreciated...

Mar 16 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Artist Photography

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Bravo!!!!!

Mar 16 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Brings to mind an old story about a man who owned a Jaguar (the car) It wasn't running well so he stop into a mechanic's garage and explained what was happening. The mechanic went to his box and pulled out a small screwdriver, bent over the engine and with a quick twist the engine was running smoothly.
When the owner asked what he owed, the mechanic said "one hundred ten dollars."
Taken aback, the owner asked for an itemised bill.
It came:
   Adjjust  screw ...............................$10
   Knowing which screw to adjust .......$100

Total............................................$110

It's the same thing.

Mar 16 06 06:54 pm Link

Model

-Terrace-

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

yes, it totally is. smile

well, I just hope knowing the right moves to make, means just as much as being "pretty" in the modeling world. The more i surf this site, it seems that most people think being a model is just having a pretty face. I hope photographers recognize model talent just as well as models should recognize photography talent. smile

Mar 19 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Lens N Light wrote:
Brings to mind an old story about a man who owned a Jaguar (the car) It wasn't running well so he stop into a mechanic's garage and explained what was happening. The mechanic went to his box and pulled out a small screwdriver, bent over the engine and with a quick twist the engine was running smoothly.
When the owner asked what he owed, the mechanic said "one hundred ten dollars."
Taken aback, the owner asked for an itemised bill.
It came:
   Adjjust  screw ...............................$10
   Knowing which screw to adjust .......$100

Total............................................$110

It's the same thing.

There once was a manufacturing company that couldn't get one of its primary machines to work. So they called in an old time engineer who was a legend for his problem solving skills.
He comes in and studies the machine for a few minutes. He takes a red pencil out of his pocket, and draws an X on a little component. He says that if you remove that component the machine will work.
The following week they receive an invoice for $50,000.
They ask the engineer to give them an itemized list for the fee.

He replied with the following:
Red pencil - $1
Knowing where to put it - $49,999

Mar 19 06 08:55 pm Link

Model

Jennyblair

York, Pennsylvania, US

Terrace wrote:
Picasso's paint- $5
canvas- $2.50

wonderfully stated
the same goes for the model.  You can get a gorgeous model in front of the camera, but that doesnt necessarily mean you'll make art.

Mar 19 06 09:08 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

It's so true. You could have all the equipment in the world, and not know how to use it...therefore, it would be worthless. However, if you trained, read books on, and practiced using that equipment, and mastered the craft (whatever craft that may be), then you should be paid what your talents and hard work are really worth.

Mar 19 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Universal Beauty

It's not the violin; it's the violinist.  However, you won't catch a concert pianist playing on a cheap upright from Goodwill!

It's also like golf:  equipment makes more the difference as the performance level increases.  One can play lousy golf with anything, and great clubs do nothing to correct lousy swings.  However, you will never find Tiger Woods playing with a rusty set of sticks from Goodwill.

Mar 21 06 05:46 am Link

Photographer

RohanB

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

know what is funny to me about this long going arguement on this topic, isnt it funny that in the same token it is the models who don't prepare for a shoot and dont do what are some necessary steps to give a shoot there all that are the first ones to complain about why a shoot may cost so much?
I feel if some models put forth the same amount of effort into themselves as much as photogs did to create great shots then there may not be this long ongoing debate. Most of the time I am typically coaching a "green" model.

Gee, I wonder if a model would walk in and let me know how to set the lights, what settings to put on my camera while on manual, what angles to shoot at, how to compose a shot... I could go on and on...
Don't let me begin in Photoshop! LOL

Mar 21 06 05:59 am Link

Model

-Terrace-

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

RohanB wrote:
know what is funny to me about this long going arguement on this topic, isnt it funny that in the same token it is the models who don't prepare for a shoot and dont do what are some necessary steps to give a shoot there all that are the first ones to complain about why a shoot may cost so much?
I feel if some models put forth the same amount of effort into themselves as much as photogs did to create great shots then there may not be this long ongoing debate. Most of the time I am typically coaching a "green" model.

Gee, I wonder if a model would walk in and let me know how to set the lights, what settings to put on my camera while on manual, what angles to shoot at, how to compose a shot... I could go on and on...
Don't let me begin in Photoshop! LOL

I AM that model,that could do all of those things and coach you on some photoshop techiniques. But I like it better in front of the camera while i am still young and pretty.

Mar 21 06 10:07 pm Link

Model

Lillith Leda

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Cool thread, although the flipside to that is does this mean when we get bombarded with the exceptional costs of what it takes being a photographer that we should tell them, it's not about the cost but what the outcome is?

Mar 21 06 10:12 pm Link

Model

-Terrace-

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Lillith Leda wrote:
Cool thread, although the flipside to that is does this mean when we get bombarded with the exceptional costs of what it takes being a photographer that we should tell them, it's not about the cost but what the outcome is?

absolutely!!  I have workedwith some terdball GWC's before.... you have to have the knowledge to back it up,though. if you dont know a thing about cameras, lighting and posing...dont put your foot in your mouth.

I will tell you it is a damn good feeling when some ding-a-ling GWC says "$200 for the shoot" and I say----You had your ISO set incorrectly, these images are way too grainy, ...or you should have changed your aperture here, because these outside shots are dark and full of shadows.
or my fave rebutal, you cut off my feet?!? (major rule of composition that a photog shouldn't break)  than you should not have to pay them for "marginal" work.

~terrace

Mar 21 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Old account

Louisville, Alabama, US

Terrace wrote:
yes, it totally is. smile

well, I just hope knowing the right moves to make, means just as much as being "pretty" in the modeling world. The more i surf this site, it seems that most people think being a model is just having a pretty face. I hope photographers recognize model talent just as well as models should recognize photography talent. smile

My thoughts exactly.  In todays world of "online" everything the following has become true...  Any person with a digital camera calls themself a "photographer" and any person willing to take their clothes off for that "photographer" calls themself a "model!"

It is much more than that.

Mar 21 06 10:33 pm Link