Forums > General Industry > Identity Theft

Model

Kaitlyn M

Burbank, California, US

I realize that putting yourself online puts you out there and at risk of this happening but when it happens to you it is creepy!

Someone copied and has been using pictures and personal information taken from two modeling sites online. They created a fake profile with the information on Myspace.com ... We are working with myspace to have the fake profile delete but it is taking way more time than I'm comfortable with... anyway be careful out there! It's always good to have friends on the lookout to let you know if something like this is happening to you!

Mar 16 06 12:33 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I keep hearing about this.  Is it really that common for people to swipe images and profile info to set up their own?  What percentage of profiles are suspected to be fake on Myspace? or MM?

How do the site moderators know who is the real person if there is a dispute?  The reason why I ask is that I think there should be some kind of authentication service offered on the web to certify people.  Would anyone be willing to pay for such a thing? If you were authenticated by a credible source, then you would never have a problem trying to prove infringement.  I would suspect that it would be a real headache for moderators to solve disputes.  Since perpetrators lie about there profile in the first place, they will also try to defend the lie by naming the victim as the perpetrator.  Signup dates don't always help because the perpetrator could have taken the images from another site and signed up first.

How about it? Any investors out there want to talk about setting up a personality authentication service? PM me. smile

Mar 16 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
I keep hearing about this.  Is it really that common for people to swipe images and profile info to set up their own?  What percentage of profiles are suspected to be fake on Myspace? or MM?

How do the site moderators know who is the real person if there is a dispute?  The reason why I ask is that I think there should be some kind of authentication service offered on the web to certify people.  Would anyone be willing to pay for such a thing? If you were authenticated by a credible source, then you would never have a problem trying to prove infringement.  I would suspect that it would be a real headache for moderators to solve disputes.  Since perpetrators lie about there profile in the first place, they will also try to defend the lie by naming the victim as the perpetrator.  Signup dates don't always help because the perpetrator could have taken the images from another site and signed up first.

How about it? Any investors out there want to talk about setting up a personality authentication service? PM me. smile

And, it just occurs to me:  To prove to myspace who you are, wouldn't you need to email them some convincing ID, like birth certificate, passport, drivers license?  But then that information is out there in cyberspace!

Alas, alack!

Mar 16 06 01:44 pm Link

Model

-Terrace-

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I have posted my images on several websites, and something that a website(that shall remain nameless) has recently done is ask for a tag-like image included with your submission images. more detail---this site wanted 5 images of me for review. In addition to the 5, a 6th needed to be uploaded (that was not reviewed with the 5 for judging) with a peice of paper written on it "so-and-so site.com" and I had to be holding it in the picture. Not a bad idea really.  If you think about it..If i am claiming to be paris hilton and upload 5 of her images, it isn't exactly feasable for me to get her to hold a hand written paice of paper saying the website name for me, huh. smile

Mar 16 06 02:06 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

William Coleman wrote:
And, it just occurs to me:  To prove to myspace who you are, wouldn't you need to email them some convincing ID, like birth certificate, passport, drivers license?  But then that information is out there in cyberspace!

Alas, alack!

That's why a trusted confidential third party ID verification service is needed. - Like Verisign.

Mar 16 06 02:10 pm Link

Model

Kaitlyn M

Burbank, California, US

Myspace handles disputes by asking the person who has had the identity "stolen" to send in a picture holding a sign reading Myspace and the number following their account log on information. Sucks if you don't have a digital camera readily available but I guess it is one way to handle the problem.

Mar 16 06 02:35 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Kaitlyn M wrote:
Myspace handles disputes by asking the person who has had the identity "stolen" to send in a picture holding a sign reading Myspace and the number following their account log on information. Sucks if you don't have a digital camera readily available but I guess it is one way to handle the problem.

LOL  That's funny.  What if the pics you had in your port were highly stylized and a snap shot of you looks nothing like your pro pics.  Some of the people who steel identities try to find people with similar characteristics.  I guess it would catch the 50+ yr old beer-bellied pervs at least. smile

Mar 16 06 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

I had a guy set up a profile based on work he'd taken from me and 2 other artists. He had a profile here on MM and one on a "freespace" website. They're all shut down, now.

As far as proving that the images are stolen; it's pretty easy. The ModelMayhem mods said that he was claiming they weren't stolen, so I sent them a sheet of thumbnails for the rest of the shoot surrounding one of the stolen images, as well as a full-color (I had converted the stolen image to b&w) 4000x3000 pixel version of  the original file. Case closed.

What's bizarre, to me, about these image-stealers is that they're pretty shameless and have apparently infinite powers of self-justification. The guy I dealt with most recently tried to convince me that he was "paying homage" to my work - at the same time as he was trying to use my images to negotiate TFP sessions with models.

Another time, I had a contact from a guy asking me when I had photographed his fiancee. "Huh?" was my response. So he sent me one of my photos of "his fiancee" - only it happened to be a model by the name of Elkie Cooper, who I photographed a few years before. At that time I didn't think she was engaged to anyone in Texas so I explained that the image was of a model from Maryland, not from some girl in Texas. So he sent me more pictures of "her" only this time they were pictures of an alt.goth model named Batty from Texas. Finally I had to tell him that his "fiancee" was pulling some weird stuff on him and he confronted "her" and - it turned out that his fiancee was a 400-lb guy who lived with his mom in a basement apartment and had been sending out the pictures because "If I were a girl, that's what I'd look like. So pretty."

And then there's my buddy, the very large computer programmer, who has a T-shirt (size XXXL) that reads "I am the 14-year-old girl you had cybersex with last night in that chatroom"   He says that a lot of people read the T-shirt and turn pale. Makes you wonder....

mjr.

Mar 16 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Someone just recently commented that I "ruin" the images I post on the internet by putting my watermark across the front of them..... this is why.  It is becoming even more common and images are showing up in some nasty places I'd rather not be associated with.  So, I have my name across the entire photo in most cases. 

For awhile someone on Photosig was pulling that crap.  Loser with a capital L.

Mar 16 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Finally I had to tell him that his "fiancee" was pulling some weird stuff on him and he confronted "her" and - it turned out that his fiancee was a 400-lb guy who lived with his mom in a basement apartment and had been sending out the pictures because "If I were a girl, that's what I'd look like. So pretty."

mjr.

Eeeeeewwwwwwww! Yuuccchhhh!

Mar 16 06 03:05 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

How do the site moderators know who is the real person if there is a dispute?

Some of the "rate my [x]" type sites ask that the real person take a digital photo of him/herself holding a piece of paper with handwriting on it (something like, "hi, I'm the real so-and-so").  They call it a "salute".  Salutes can be faked sometimes, too, though, when the faker photoshops handwriting off and tries to put new text over the blank area.  That's why I recommend that people slightly crease the paper or hold it in a way that causes shadows to fall unevenly across the whole thing.  Much harder for thieves to work with that way.

What if the pics you had in your port were highly stylized and a snap shot of you looks nothing like your pro pics.

Then you have to go out of your way to reproduce a pose used in one of the stolen photos, so they can see that the eyes / jawline / whatever are unmistakably yours.  Most of the photos in my portfolio look like separate people, so I've had to do that sort of thing a few times.  PAIN IN THE *SS.

The guy I dealt with most recently tried to convince me that he was "paying homage" to my work - at the same time as he was trying to use my images to negotiate TFP sessions with models.

Ugh, I hate that.  Usually when I bust people with mine (or my model friends') photos, the thief tries to take some sort of high moral ground.  "You should be flattered I thought you were so pretty I wanted to be you!"  Um, NO.  It's not flattering, it's creepy.

I've had a few experiences in the past where random dudes have contacted me after their online girlfriend has disappeared.  Surprise-- it was someone using my photos.  I feel bad for the guys, and it pisses me off that some *sshole somewhere thinks it's TOTALLY OKAY to play with people like that.  It's crap.

I started doing two things that has almost made this BS stop.

1) I stopped uploading large, high-res images to the web.  300x400 pixels @ 72 dpi is the largest nowadays.  If someone wants a print quality version of one, s/he needs to get in touch with the photographer and probably BUY one.

2) I watermark all of my images with my URL and that of the photographer (if s/he has one).

In the last year or so, I have only found ONE person using one of my older photos.  It was stolen from the photographer's website.  The site she'd posted it on was taking so long to respond to my requests to have it removed that I had to take matters into my own hand-- I posted revealing comments on her page every day (she kept deleting them) until she deleted her entire account (way before the site got around to doing anything).  Talk about annoying.

Seriously... watermarks seem to be the only real way to deter people from stealing your photos.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/copywrong

Mar 16 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
That's why a trusted confidential third party ID verification service is needed. - Like Verisign.

And who, pray tell, will trust the "trusted" companies like Verisign?

My solution is P2P trust networks, which take an entirely different view (that centralized "authorities," whether governmental or corporate, are less trustworthy than relationship-based voucher systems). I'm not interested in whether *you* say you are Jay or whether Verisign saw a faxed driver's license once--I'd rather see that a bunch of people *I* know online can vouch for you, or someone they vouched for can etc. Think MySpace "extended network" on steroids, and with something besides "hotness" determining who is on your "friends" list.

I have some esoteric ramblings on my blog (www.tallent.us) about this, but I'm a computer programmer by trade, and one requirement of being a real programmer is apparently to incessantly talk about your next email-killer idea and never actually have time to build it.

Mar 17 06 01:56 am Link